Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
GT class--buggy-based on road! >

GT class--buggy-based on road!

GT class--buggy-based on road!

Old 04-22-2011, 01:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Got some binding in my front brakes while in neutral! I have about 2mm of play from where the screw secures the brake pads. I have about 4mm of play from the brake linkage ( fuel tubing to brake lever). It looks like the brake disc tilts then get caught on the pads. Has anyone had this problem before? You think the brake disc needs just to be broken in? What are you thoughts on this? It's a DM-1 spec w/ center diff and added front brakes.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

not sure on that car, but they little springs that actually go over those screws to push the plates open. You should have a minimal amount of play on there as possible before they touch, or tighten till it just touches, than back of a 1/4 turn or so more. hope this help's. The springs mentioned i used on 1/8 buggy's, i know O'Donnell makes them, and many others, call your lhs and tell him what your looking for, the springs are a must have, i put them in my igt2 as a standard part.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC Passion
Got some binding in my front brakes while in neutral! I have about 2mm of play from where the screw secures the brake pads. I have about 4mm of play from the brake linkage ( fuel tubing to brake lever). It looks like the brake disc tilts then get caught on the pads. Has anyone had this problem before? You think the brake disc needs just to be broken in? What are you thoughts on this? It's a DM-1 spec w/ center diff and added front brakes.
You'll need some brake springs to keep the 2 brake pads apart at neutral. Here is what you'll need:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ator-Springs-8
Old 04-22-2011, 07:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If you're in a bind ... pen springs cut to size needed will work.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:11 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Pit-racer
If you're in a bind ... pen springs cut to size needed will work.
Now, that's speaking from many years of RC experience right there Great advise Pit.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:41 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
Thanks! And these parts fit right in, no hassle or mods? Bassman2, what spacers are you talking about exactly? Do you have to shim the outside of the CB or something?

I think I would prefer to stick with stock gearing - 16/20... Can even imagine going up to 17/21.. The straight at the local track is REALLY long....

EDIT - ps, damn, the Kyosho parts are a lot cheaper too....
Unfortunately I can't remember the part number for those shims that I have on the clutch bell currently (that was about a year ago when I first put them on the clutch bell). However, when you receive the clutch bell and the Evolva pinion gears (several sizes to pick from) then you can do the following:

Put the pinion gears on the clutch bell (not to tighten them completely) then hold the clutch bell assembly against the complete assembled Ofna tranny then you'll see clearly how much gap you'll need between the 1st and 2nd pinion gear based on the spacing between 1st and 2nd spur gear. Then use an old bearing outer shell or some shims (that will fit over the threads on the clutch bell) to create the necessary gap that you need in order to have good mesh between all gears. I hope this makes sense to you.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Thanks! And these parts fit right in, no hassle or mods? Bassman2, what spacers are you talking about exactly? Do you have to shim the outside of the CB or something?

I think I would prefer to stick with stock gearing - 16/20... Can even imagine going up to 17/21.. The straight at the local track is REALLY long....

EDIT - ps, damn, the Kyosho parts are a lot cheaper too....
this OFNA kit is great for shimming your flywheel and clutch as needed to fit correctly.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Bells-Shim-Kit
Old 04-22-2011, 09:13 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by briankstan
this OFNA kit is great for shimming your flywheel and clutch as needed to fit correctly.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Bells-Shim-Kit

Brian,

This shim kit will not work for creating "gap" between 1st and 2nd pinion gears. He'll need shims that will have big enough inner diameter to fit over the threads on the clutch bell.

Good luck at the Vegas race buddy
Old 04-22-2011, 09:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Anyone know what the kick up on the GT2 chassis is? I sent a few bent chassis home with a guy at work to straighten them but he removed the kick up also. So now I need to find out how many deg. it should be at so he can put it back in the chassis's.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:26 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Dasmopar
Anyone know what the kick up on the GT2 chassis is? I sent a few bent chassis home with a guy at work to straighten them but he removed the kick up also. So now I need to find out how many deg. it should be at so he can put it back in the chassis's.
It's fine to bend it back but just to keep in mind stressing the metal at where it bends will make that area weak. You might want to contact Kyosho America directly to find out exactly how many degrees of kick up a GT2 chassis have.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Thanks! what spacers are you talking about exactly?
Kyosho 12x18x0.15mm Shim
[KYO96946]
Old 04-22-2011, 01:43 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by *1speedy
Kyosho 12x18x0.15mm Shim
[KYO96946]
Thank you Jersey for helping Herrsavage. I just can't remember the part number for the shims that he'll need. I hope everything is going well with you
Old 04-22-2011, 02:02 PM
Tech Elite

Thats cool guys, I knew the Kyosho clutch bell worked on Serpent's GT prototype, but hever knew it could be used in the Ofna too. This should help a lot of DM1S racers around the world. Very cool indeed!
Old 04-22-2011, 05:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dasmopar
8 degrees
Old 04-23-2011, 07:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cabdoctor
8 degrees
The blue chassis on these cars are very soft. I would consider the SP chassis kit from Kyosho, KYOR246-3501, if you have the GT2. They are made from 7075 alloy. They made a similar chassis for the GT1 cars, but I'm not sure if they are still available.

Last edited by williamw; 04-24-2011 at 07:32 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.