Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Burned Speedo Mystery >

Burned Speedo Mystery

Burned Speedo Mystery

Old 09-28-2007, 04:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Burned Speedo Mystery

Not sure if this warrants it's own thread, but here goes.

Had my LRP TC speedo blow up today and completely clueless as to why. Was binding a new Futaba Spectrum module and reciever. Turned the speedo switch off when i was done, but it kept crawling forward until a "puff" sounded and smoke beveled from the speedo. In all my 9 years of racing, I've never seen anything like that. I've seen burned speedos many times before, but never one that crapped up while binding a reciever. The plan was to bind the reciever, then program the speedo. The little label that prohibits you from opening the case is long gone, so I can forget about the warranty, which sucks.

Anyone know if I did something wrong?
Old 09-28-2007, 07:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would say that it's just a coincidence that your ESC blew up at the time you were binding the receiver. I don't think it's possible to blow up a speedo with incorrect binding features.

Servos, on the other hand, I've heard of. But that's only because someone had their radio set to HRS mode with a non-digi servo when they bound their receiver.

Personally, I like the Futaba FASST over the Spectrum setups. You only have to set it up once with the radio and it stays.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:46 AM
Tech Addict

This is strange failure. LRP products are supposed to have lifetime warranty. Send your ESC in with the blue warranty card and your receipt and see what they say. At worst you should be offered the option of buying new ESC at greatly reduced price.

What type of ESC do you have?