Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 05:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Default traxxxas 4tec

how good of a car is this? fast or not?
Old 05-15-2003, 05:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Save your money and buy a better car......
Old 08-13-2009, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Don't mean to raise the dead, but I didn't want to clutter with a new thread.

I asked for specs and got this.

hello, yes the 4 tec is in great condition, no problems, has futuba speed control the motor is a 27 turn its not lighting fast but fun and ou can always get a better motor for pretty heap and losi radio system, works great , call XXX-XXXX

Think it's worth 100 bucks?
Old 08-13-2009, 11:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

There's a few better cars out there in that price range. Something like a TC3 or newer Tamiya should be around that price and have better options and support. Just my .02
Old 08-13-2009, 11:55 AM
Tech Elite

Thank you. All I ask.

I was doing a little research and it seems like they don't make the electric 4-Tec anymore. IS this correct? Seems it's only Nitro. If this is the case I definitely don't want to get it.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

regardless, i wouldn't go for it. it's more of a "basher" car than a "Race" car. but then again you didnt specify that.

either way on top of that it's better to get something newer, which will have a longer life (most likely) the TC3 is a great shaft driven car, and the tamiya tb-02 /03 is a good equivalent. i am partial to my ta-05 which is belt driven. the tamiya's can be had new for about 120-175$.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Double D Donuts
regardless, i wouldn't go for it. it's more of a "basher" car than a "Race" car. but then again you didnt specify that.

either way on top of that it's better to get something newer, which will have a longer life (most likely) the TC3 is a great shaft driven car, and the tamiya tb-02 /03 is a good equivalent. i am partial to my ta-05 which is belt driven. the tamiya's can be had new for about 120-175$.
What he said x2.

I have a ta-05 as well and it's a good place to start. I've had it a couple weeks and only raced it once so far. I have alot of set-up to get figured out on it, but even in it's non-refined condition it's a capable car that is drivable and competitive. I led the first lap I raced with it.

The latest edition of the 4tec had an XL1 I beleive, not even updated to the old XL5 yellow that came out a while ago.

The for-sale section here had a good selection of used TCs when I was looking. TC3s, TA04s, and others. And yeah, a new TA05 is priced right in the mid $100s depending on what body you get with it.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:13 PM
Tech Elite

Well thank you both very much. I'm probably not gonna race. But then again, i didn't think I'd be trying to get 2 RC's. So there goes that idea.

I'll scope out the vehicles you guys suggested. Thanks again for the help.

Also, as of right now, I'm only interested in electric. I don't want to deal with the maintenance of nitro yet.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:42 PM
Tech Master

good choice,

goign with nitro is like jumping off the deep end. not only do you have to concentrate on driving, but you also have to make sure your motor is running correctly, and its just a whole nother mess, and more things you hvae to buy.

electrics can be nice and simple, pop it in and go...that is until you get into the higher end stuff

check out your craigslists, i found a nice high dollar chassis for really cheap, it was a 400$ chassis new and i got it for 125$
Old 08-27-2009, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

Ok, so I grabbed this electric 4tec for cheap. Basically because I wanted to test out the street cars before diving in head first. I don't plan on racing, just wanted one.

So I throw in my electronics to see how it runs and I find that something seems to be slipping. It's not the pinion/spur gear, I think it may be somewhere in the belt system. Before I start ripping it apart tonight, can anyone tell me what I might wanna look for? Does this sound familiar? Let me know if you need more info. Basically, I can hear the motor going, but the car isn't moving as fast, I can tell something is slipping, just not sure where.

I went through the trouble shooting on traxxas.com, and I also got the blow up views. I'll be applying all that in the next day or two, but figure all the help I can get would be good. Thanks all.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:28 AM
Tech Master

Check your pinion and spur gear and if they seem to be moving the way they should, then i would move and check your belts. make sure your belts are spinning the same speed, (when you apply throttle they spin faster). if that checks out then the next thing i would check is the differentials. they may be set REALLY loose and when you apply throttle it just slips. hold the car in the air and see if that makes a difference.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:41 AM
Tech Elite

I wasn't thinking differentials, but I was thinking the belts were ok. Thank you very much for this. I was gonna make sure that there weren't any teeth missing on the belts. They seem to move in unison. When I lift the car, it's fine. On the ground is where the trouble starts.

Again, thank you. Anything else from anyone would be awesome. I'll let you know how this goes later tonight.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:35 PM
Tech Elite

The differentials are both slipping. The belts are good, the spur and pinion are good. Going to the local hobby shop tomorrow to get it check out.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:07 AM
Tech Master

most likely if you take them out, (the differentials) you will find a small screw going through the middle. if you tighten this down a bit it should stop the slippage
Old 08-29-2009, 10:35 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have had an elec 4tec for a couple years (before my Tamiyas). The diffs have a small bolt that strips the diff housing out very easily, especially if using other than stock motor. I had the Velineon brushless in my 4tec, it was very fast, but I was rebuilding the diffs w new parts every other use.( the part #4281 @ 6$) It was a very very durable car other than that. Have fun with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.