hop ups

Old 05-13-2003, 05:05 PM
Tech Rookie

Default hop ups

what are the most basic hop up parts that you should get to make your car go faster. i am planning to buy a 16t motor and i want to know what else to get
Old 05-13-2003, 05:19 PM
Tech Regular

A couple of different pinions are good too, so you can drag race your friends or make a track where you need good accleration

Also, make sure that your speed controler can handle the number of turns of the motor
Old 05-13-2003, 05:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: hop ups

Originally posted by markh316
what are the most basic hop up parts that you should get to make your car go faster. i am planning to buy a 16t motor and i want to know what else to get
hi,
It would be better if we all knew what chassis you have so we can advise you better

steevo
Old 05-13-2003, 08:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

I agree with Steevo. But if your kit doesn't have bearings than you should pick up some bearings. Better battaries with higher voltage give you more power too.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:46 AM
Tech Elite

In addition, we can better help, if we know the purpose; Bashing, racing, drag race... ?
Old 05-14-2003, 06:55 PM
Tech Rookie

I have tamiya ta04ss. has ball bearings and i am just racing my friends on a parking lot
Old 05-14-2003, 08:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by markh316
I have tamiya ta04ss. has ball bearings and i am just racing my friends on a parking lot
Hi markh316,
Firstly with the TA04 I would work on reducing weight as much as anything else..
I believe the TA04SS has standard planetary gears so I recommend swapping those for the ball diff units with the lightweight delrin outdrives. This drops quite a lot of weight over the standard units and results in less rotating mass. I would also try and change from the standard dogbones to the rebuilable universals and swingshafts.

I am a little hesitant to go too much further into hop ups because after buying the Ball Diffs, Delrin Outdrives and a few others it starts to become cheaper to just go out and buy a TA04R Chassis for about $190US with most of the options I would recommend.

In reality If you are just "Bashing" with your friends then It would be better for me to agree with the previous statement that buying a good 3000mAh Battery pack and good motor would be the best options without spending a heap on the car itself. A good matched cell battery and good quality motor will go a long way to giving your friends a run for their money. I believe the TA04SS already has Ball Bearings which are an absolute necessity..

Let us know if you have any other questions and we will try to help..

Steevo
Old 05-14-2003, 08:24 PM
Tech Addict

I would not recommend spending a heap of cash hopping up the TA04 SS, not that its a bad car, but to get it to the standard of a tourer designed for competition you would end up spending big $$$.

I would say upgrading the diffs is expensive and not worth it, you would get a 500% maintainence increase for a 2% performance increase!

Thats good advice from Steevo and the others, keep the car standard and spend your money on things that you can use in your next car such as motor, ESC, cells, good servo etc.

And that advice is from someone that put over $300 into a TL01
Old 05-14-2003, 08:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by JohnA
I would not recommend spending a heap of cash hopping up the TA04 SS, not that its a bad car, but to get it to the standard of a tourer designed for competition you would end up spending big $$$.

I would say upgrading the diffs is expensive and not worth it, you would get a 500% maintainence increase for a 2% performance increase!

Thats good advice from Steevo and the others, keep the car standard and spend your money on things that you can use in your next car such as motor, ESC, cells, good servo etc.

And that advice is from someone that put over $300 into a TL01
Hi John,
Just thought I'd thow my 2 cents in regarding the Ball diffs.
I totally agree that throwing too much money at this chassis would not be a wise investment.
I have found in my experience though that the upgrade of the ball diffs and the Delrin Outdrives from the standard metal ones did improve the car considerably.
Before I bought my TA04R I too had a standard TA04S and at the same time my brother bought one as well. Because I had more money than him (and less brains some may say ) and not knowing any better, I went out and invested in heaps of Hop Ups. My first hop ups were the Ball Diffs and Delrin Outdrives. After fitting them I had a run against my brother and there was a very noticeable difference in my cars acceleration and smoothness and we were running Identical electrics and motors etc.
I agree that the ball diffs are a much higher maintainence item but I do think that the difference is worth it if you are going to do more than just "Bashing" with you car..
In this case though, as you concurred the money would be better spent on other things

Steevo
Old 05-14-2003, 10:47 PM
Tech Elite

A Trinity D5 7trn..
Old 05-14-2003, 11:58 PM
Tech Addict

Steevo

I agree, you will see the benefit, but from my experience If you were going to spend cash on hop-ups like that you would be better selling the TA04S and geting a better car as the price of hop-ups is way out of proportion with the cost of a complete kit.

For the cash you got from selling the 'S', and the cost of a couple of diffs and delrin outdrives you could almost get a 04R or similar.
Old 05-15-2003, 03:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by JohnA
Steevo

I agree, you will see the benefit, but from my experience If you were going to spend cash on hop-ups like that you would be better selling the TA04S and geting a better car as the price of hop-ups is way out of proportion with the cost of a complete kit.

For the cash you got from selling the 'S', and the cost of a couple of diffs and delrin outdrives you could almost get a 04R or similar.
I agree 100% John...

Like many of us, I too over capitalized on my first couple of cars. My first TA04S ended up costing me enough "ADDITIONAL" money to have bought a TA04R kit outright, so I ended up getting one anyway...

It Pays these days to really consider where and how you spend your hard earned cash. These days I only buy kits which have as many options already Included in the box. You may pay a little more up front but it is definately worth it in the long run..

Steevo