Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Starter Racing Car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 07:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

For your radio system, make sure to check out a spread spectrum radio. These systems don't have crystals and you don't have to worry about channel conflicts. Futaba has a new low-cost radio called the 3PM. Sanwa also has a great new low-cost system called the MX-3. Either one of these would be great radios to start with.

P.S. - Make sure to get a decent servo. At a bare minimum, it should have metal gears. The cheap plastic gear servos wear out quickly and there gears break with ease.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:34 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by daveaustin5
Re: the Recoil & A-Tech - You must have beat my post by seconds!!!

I wouldn't recommend a T2R to a begginer on a budget. After he's got electronics it's have cost him £250-£300
Boy, I forget how expensive this can get when you start. Radios, batteries, charger, servo, etc. Then throw in the chassis, body, paint, tires, etc. Argh, it's almost too daunting.

THe TA-05 is relatively inexpensive, built tough, very competitive at the club level, and can be upgraded over time. That might be your best bet.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Elite-Driver
Hmm ok , Seeing as you know alot about R/C Cars , Would you mind "building me one via the web" with like a buget of £250 to begin ? I dont want top spec because i dont want to have to keep buying tires for every lap i do , but i want it decent ..
The tyres will be the same no matter what car you drive! If you wanted to race I'd get:

Cyclone S RTR - £130
3 * 7.2v Battery - £45
Pro Peak Charger - £30 (chuck away the charger that comes with the Cyclone S - it takes 12hrs to charge a battery. This charger takes 30mins)

Add postage and that will see you under your budget. If you're planning on racing indoors on carpet I'd recommend Vtec 24R tyres (you'd need 2 pairs). You'd have to buy tyres like this even if you were to buy the Tamiya TB02.

As you can see, it's not a cheap hobby if you want to race! If you purchased the above stuff you it would make a good starter car, but would also keep up with the faster cars when you became more experienced.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:40 AM
Tech Regular

For battery chargers, MAKE SURE that you get a linear peak charger that chargers at least 5 amps. DO NOT get a timer charger or a pulse charger. Some inexpensive ones are the Integy/Eagle D1L and the Duratrax Piranha. I'm not sure about the Integy charger, but the Duratrax WILL require a seperate power supply to charge at 5 amps.

Also, make sure to replace the Tamiya battery connectors with Deans, Traxxas, or Powerpole connectors. Also, ditch the bullet connectors that go from the ESC to the motor and just solder the ESC wires directly to the motor.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:02 AM
Tech Regular

OK, here's a good setup priced at TowerHobbies that's close to your price point:

LXPJP9 Tamiya Open Interface Tom's SC430 TA05 Kit 156.99
LXPZT7 Futaba 3PM 3-Channel 2.4GHz Transmitter/Receiver Only 189.99
LXDWF8 Futaba S3305 Servo High-Torque Standard w/Metal Gears 31.49
LXLWF5 Integy AC/DC 1-10C NiCd/NiMH D1L Charger 79.99
LXUY13 Futaba MC230CR ESC w/Reverse 20+T 44.99
LXKWU7 Team Orion Super Duty Plus 3300 (2) 59.99
LXKX39 W.S. Deans 2-Pin Ultra Plug 3.09 x 2 = 6.18

Combined: $569.62 plus shipping

$569.62 = 283.90 Pounds

The shipping costs would kill you, so I would buy local or through a Hong Kong shop.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:05 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The tyres will be the same no matter what car you drive! If you wanted to race I'd get:

Cyclone S RTR - £130
3 * 7.2v Battery - £45
Pro Peak Charger - £30 (chuck away the charger that comes with the Cyclone S - it takes 12hrs to charge a battery. This charger takes 30mins)

Add postage and that will see you under your budget. If you're planning on racing indoors on carpet I'd recommend Vtec 24R tyres (you'd need 2 pairs). You'd have to buy tyres like this even if you were to buy the Tamiya TB02.

As you can see, it's not a cheap hobby if you want to race! If you purchased the above stuff you it would make a good starter car, but would also keep up with the faster cars when you became more experienced.
for the batterys is it £45 for all 3 or per 1 ?

and i can get one or the other .. this car or the other ..

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58381

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...ducts_id=24476

What's the best .. i will deffently get the batterys and charger
Old 09-16-2007, 08:07 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RandomFellow
OK, here's a good setup priced at TowerHobbies that's close to your price point:

LXPJP9 Tamiya Open Interface Tom's SC430 TA05 Kit 156.99
LXPZT7 Futaba 3PM 3-Channel 2.4GHz Transmitter/Receiver Only 189.99
LXDWF8 Futaba S3305 Servo High-Torque Standard w/Metal Gears 31.49
LXLWF5 Integy AC/DC 1-10C NiCd/NiMH D1L Charger 79.99
LXUY13 Futaba MC230CR ESC w/Reverse 20+T 44.99
LXKWU7 Team Orion Super Duty Plus 3300 (2) 59.99
LXKX39 W.S. Deans 2-Pin Ultra Plug 3.09 x 2 = 6.18

Combined: $569.62 plus shipping

$569.62 = 283.90 Pounds

The shipping costs would kill you, so I would buy local or through a Hong Kong shop.
Thats like a frikin amazing car dont forget im new :S
Old 09-16-2007, 08:14 AM
Tech Regular

for the batterys is it £45 for all 3 or per 1 ?

and i can get one or the other .. this car or the other ..

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58381

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/produc...ducts_id=24476

What's the best .. i will deffently get the batterys and charger

£45 is for all 3.

The TA05 is a good car and in many ways is similar to the Cyclone S. I would go for the Cyclone S as it comes ready made. Even the body is cut & painted! All you have to do is charge your battery and it is ready to go. It is also based upon the car that won the World Championship. It is just made with cheaper materials to make it a better price.

If you were to buy the TA05 you would have to make the kit yourself and attatch the electronics (if it came with any) Which isn't easy if you don't know what you're doing.

Your kit choice should depend on what you want to do with it. If you think you're going to spend most of the time playing around on the street near your house, you'd be better off buying something as cheap as possible (like a cheaper Tamiya). If you want to race you will want something compeitive that can be upgraded to the best car should you want to (like the Cyclone S).

Whatever you buy, I'm sure you'll have fun! Although it can seem expensive and daunting, it's a very enjoyable and rewarding hobby. Sites like this are a great resource, especially when you've broken something and haven't a clue how to fix it!
Old 09-16-2007, 08:19 AM
Tech Master

A ta05 is a good starting point if you are serious and want to go into racing. You have much room to expand with this car... and i think that's really what's great about it. You will not be disappointed!
Old 09-16-2007, 08:28 AM
Tech Adept

Cyclone-S RTR/Moore Dodge Stratus - £112.59
3 x 7.2v Battery - £45
Pro Peak Charger - £30
╔============-╗
║Total : £187.59 ║
║ +£25 ║
║ £202.59 ║
╚===========-=╝

Will i still need tires? 2 = £12.50 so + £25?

So is this my best bet for my first car?

ohh i just relised it £247.59 with the batterys?
Old 09-16-2007, 08:37 AM
Tech Regular

Cyclone-S RTR/Moore Dodge Stratus - £112.59
3 x 7.2v Battery - £45
Pro Peak Charger - £30
╔============-╗
║Total : £187.59 ║
║ +£25 ║
║ £202.59 ║
╚===========-=╝

Will i still need tires? 2 = £12.50 so + £25?

So is this my best bet for my first car?

ohh i just relised it £247.59 with the batterys?
Where did you find a Cyclone S RTR at that price? That's a good price! Cheapest I could find was £130 ($255). Make sure it's the RTR model. The normal Cyclone S doesn't come with all the electronics you need.

What do you mean it's £247.59 with the batteries? You already included them in your first calculation!

If you're running outdoors you can use the tyres that come with the car, they may even be ok indoors. I'd try them before buying the 24R's.

From the links I gave you it would cost

Car: Cyclone S RTR $255 (£130)
Batteries: 3 *GP3300 $90 (£45)
Charger: Pro Peak £30
Postage: £35

Total: £240. You might have to pay a little extra if your items get caught in customs.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:46 AM
Tech Regular

Be carefull. That charger only charges at 3.5 amps. You'll need a whole lot more to get the most out of today's batteries, plus it will take forever to charge the batteries.

The kit I put together wasn't for top-of-the-line racing. It was to give you the best equipment for your price range. The electronics in ready-to-runs are notoriously crappy. You will be upgrading those, probably sooner than later. If you start with decent electronics, they will last you a long time.

You may be able to get a similar kit like the one I set up, only with the Cyclone-S kit. Towerhobbies has the Cyclone-S kit with a Mazda6 body for $189.99 (94.69 Pounds).

Between the two, I would choose the TA-05. Much more durable, highly competetive, and much more widely used at the club races.

Andy Moore won the world champs with a Cyclone, but that had more to do with his driving skill and a few lucky breaks than it had to do with the car itself. Maybe I'm biased because I (like many other people) have been burned by HPI one too many times.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:51 AM
Tech Regular

Be carefull. That charger only charges at 3.5 amps. You'll need a whole lot more to get the most out of today's batteries, plus it will take forever to charge the batteries.

The kit I put together wasn't for top-of-the-line racing. It was to give you the best equipment for your price range. The electronics in ready-to-runs are notoriously crappy. You will be upgrading those, probably sooner than later. If you start with decent electronics, they will last you a long time.

You may be able to get a similar kit like the one I set up, only with the Cyclone-S kit. Towerhobbies has the Cyclone-S kit with a Mazda6 body for $189.99 (94.69 Pounds).

Between the two, I would choose the TA-05. Much more durable, highly competetive, and much more widely used at the club races.

Andy Moore won the world champs with a Cyclone, but that had more to do with his driving skill and a few lucky breaks than it had to do with the car itself. Maybe I'm biased because I (like many other people) have been burned by HPI one too many times.
Here in the UK, very few racers run the TA05. Parts availability is also a problem compared to the Cyclone. I believe the Cyclone to be the superior car out of the box. Plus it is possible to upgrade it to the worlds spec should he want to.

The electronics aren't that bad. They're not as good as the ones you pointed out but that would have cost him the best part of £350-£400 by the time it's been delivered.

3.5A is easily enough for a new starter. It's a decent charger at a good price and is used by many club racers here in the UK. The integy charger you suggested would require a 12v power supply as it isn't UK mains compatible. So that's cost another £20.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:58 AM
Tech Adept

ohh ok im sure im going with that car now

Where did you find a Cyclone S RTR at that price? That's a good price! Cheapest I could find was £130 ($255). Make sure it's the RTR model. The normal Cyclone S doesn't come with all the electronics you need.

What do you mean it's £247.59 with the batteries? You already included them in your first calculation!

If you're running outdoors you can use the tyres that come with the car, they may even be ok indoors. I'd try them before buying the 24R's.

From the links I gave you it would cost

Car: Cyclone S RTR $255 (£130)
Batteries: 3 *GP3300 $90 (£45)
Charger: Pro Peak £30
Postage: £35

Total: £240. You might have to pay a little extra if your items get caught in customs.
i missed calculted
Here in the UK, very few racers run the TA05. Parts availability is also a problem compared to the Cyclone. I believe the Cyclone to be the superior car out of the box. Plus it is possible to upgrade it to the worlds spec should he want to.

The electronics aren't that bad. They're not as good as the ones you pointed out but that would have cost him the best part of £350-£400 by the time it's been delivered.

3.5A is easily enough for a new starter. It's a decent charger at a good price and is used by many club racers here in the UK. The integy charger you suggested would require a 12v power supply as it isn't UK mains compatible. So that's cost another £20.
ok thanks
Old 09-16-2007, 12:30 PM
Tech Regular

Well, parts availability was one of the main factors I said he should consider, so that bodes well for the Cyclone then. I just hate RTR electronics. Plus, with a kit, he can learn how things go together, how they work, and (more importantly), how to disassemble in order to fix (which is why he might want to consider the Cyclone-S kit).

As far as upgrading goes, you'd probably spend more on hop-ups than the full-blown Cyclone kit to get it to that point, so that issue should probably be tabled for the time being.

With regards to chargers, Integy sells their products worldwide, in most places under the Eagle brand name (or is it that Eagle sells their stuff in the U.S. under Integy name?). Anyways, RCMArt has the "Eagle" version for $66.50 US.

The problem with the ProPeak is that he will quickly outgrow it. My suggestions were for items that would be good for a beginner BUT that would not hold him back as he progressed.

I think you need to spend some quality time down at the LHS. Maybe the shop will cut you a package deal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.