Search

Dangers of Nickel Batteries!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 04:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MR JOLLY
Top Teams & Top racers
if your a football player you start to dive & cheat & sear , the youngester will follow suit & this goes for the RC worlds ,youngesters read the coverage on what is happening & if they see or hear that Barry Baker or Andy Moore are pissing on there batts to go faster , then the youngsters will do the same in this day & age ,so charging @ higher amps they will start & things will start to happen badley , But not us oldies ,we just know when the Bullshit starts we turn off & go to sleep
You beat me to it. I think that should be the most important point in this thread. When I'm sitting in the pits, I'm not necessarily worried about my batts (NIMH or Lipo) because I follow the mfg'ers directions and have a flawless 18 year track record of no battery explosions/fires. I'm worried about the noobs and the guys who treat racing more as a sport and less as a hobby. If we can't have one major event without shrapnel flying in the air, maybe it's time for all of us racers to come up with positive solutions for this problem that some of us want to ignore even though it's hurting the hobby.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by imprsme
I posted those so ppl could see the BIG FIRE BALL that the lipos produce when mis-handled vs. the explosion in the first picture!!!! God you lipo faithfuls are THICK HEADED!!!

Ok did you see the charger and the correct cut off from the first picture at the start of this post??? Does anyone of us on here know why his pack went poof! NO

The point is NONE of the BATTERIES we MIS-USE/ABUSE in RC are very safe!!
Thick headed? Someone please explain to this dude about my tendency to get nasty...
Now, it appears that with the sudden spate of NiMh packs that are blowing up in the "hands" of RACERS......not newbs, not "johnny come latelys" but experienced JOES blowing more than their fair share of sub c's and lipo fires not happening as frequently as some said they would (when lipo really started catching on), we dont have to ask about settings. Many of us know that people are packing the amps on when charging sub c's, causing many of the mishaps, explosions, ventings, projectiles and accidents that are occuring on what seems to be, a weekly occurrence. Maybe, just maybe, people who are charging lipos at specific amp rates per the mah of their pack should start applying this mindset to sub c's....kind of backward thinking, but, to not do so is as you put it...THICK HEADED! We adhere to charging principles to maintain safety, maybe sub c rules should be revised. A lipo can be charged at rates higher than indicated, but no one has really taken the chance....seems that many sub c users are taking chances and paying the price. DUNCE.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

We adhere to charging principles to maintain safety, maybe sub c rules should be revised. A lipo can be charged at rates higher than indicated, but no one has really taken the chance....seems to many sub c users are taking chances and paying the price. DUNCE.
this is a serious question here....
when NiMh cells first came out, did people follow the charging instructions like people do nowadays with Lipos? if they did, then at what point did hobbyists become so ignorant to the manufacturer's instructions and start assuming safe charge rates? just like bxpitbull said, if only we followed the manufacturer's recommendations, we would not have any problems. i know this has been stated already, but it's the racers that are making this appear to be a problem.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Lipo has been out a while now, now all you read is "can I charge at 2C?" It's only a matter of time. Before long people will be charging @3C and it will be a "travesty" lipos will be spewing napalm all over the faces of innocent women and children. Sadly, we do this to ourselves. Enough is just never gonna be enough.

Ben
Old 09-17-2007, 05:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by sportpak
Lipo has been out a while now, now all you read is "can I charge at 2C?" It's only a matter of time. Before long people will be charging @3C and it will be a "travesty" lipos will be spewing napalm all over the faces of innocent women and children. Sadly, we do this to ourselves. Enough is just never gonna be enough.

Ben
Since I have gone Lipo, I have never gone higher than the manufacture recommended charge rates. And the good thing about lipo, you can charge in advance, touch it on the charger and its ready to rock. Its low internal resistance doesnt fall off if left unattended for weeks like nimh. So weigh the facts:

Charge your lipo pack(s) the night before
Check before you leave the house
Charge at recommended rate because it hasnt trailed off by more than .10 volts, which is nothing
Run your race(s)
Perform minimal maintennace on your brushless set-up car, check for tweaks
Put your other lipo pack on the charger which is pretty much full, might need all of 10 minutes of charging at recommended amperage
Tape into car....RACE!

Charge your sub c packs the night before
Hit them with high amp rates because they can "withstand it" before your race
Hope they dont get too hot and vent
Run your race
Perform maintennance on your car. More than likely, you still run brushed, touch the comm, check for tweaks
Put your fresh pack on the charger. Low internal resistance with Nimh, it has trailed off, so you have to hit it with heavy amps to get it ready for the race. Oh, you have to do this because the other pack cant take a charge for awhile because they are still too hot from the last race.
Hope they (the fresh pack) dont vent. Yes, they are hot, strap em into your car.
Race....

Do you sub c people see the danger (hypocrisy) in all of this?!?!?!?!?
Old 09-17-2007, 05:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Its simple.. Us true diehard racers will due what needed for that edge.. Not for all but good for some...
Old 09-17-2007, 05:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John Tag
Its simple.. Us true diehard racers will due what needed for that edge.. Not for all but good for some...
Or to rephrase. "Us true diehard racers will endanger others for that slight edge so a better driver won't beat us". Does that sum it up as accurately?
Old 09-17-2007, 06:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I just called Hendrick.. Told then to stop there tuning and hunting for that advantage. They have the best drivers.....LOL

Enough said I see where most here come from....
Old 09-17-2007, 06:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by kuzo
Or to rephrase. "Us true diehard racers will endanger others for that slight edge so a better driver won't beat us". Does that sum it up as accurately?
Well put Kuzo! And with sub c's doing things that might make them look "bad", you would think that some of the manufacturers would play some form of damage control.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by John Tag
I just called Hendrick.. Told then to stop there tuning and hunting for that advantage. They have the best drivers.....LOL

Enough said I see where most here come from....
Yeah I see where you come from too:
EDIT:
Image removed by myself

So tell me, any reports of your cells going off yet? If so, any injuries?

Edit: since my post makes no sense now - the image was to note I am discussing this with a battery matcher.

Last edited by kuzo; 09-17-2007 at 06:47 PM. Reason: image removal
Old 09-17-2007, 06:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yeah I see where you come from too:

So tell me, any reports of your cells going off yet? If so, any injuries?
LOL!
Old 09-17-2007, 06:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Not sure where this thread is going, that 10 others have not.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:36 PM
Tech Legend

Default Love the Explosions

Yup , this one just about to blow up real good ...
Old 09-17-2007, 06:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

Originally Posted by futureal
These kinds of posts, threads, articles, blog entries, and so on in other industries are referred to as intentionally spreading FUD: fear, uncertainty, and doubt.

Fear because the intent is to scare people.

Uncertainty because the target audience is assumed to have relatively limited knowledge about the inner machinations of the subject, and thus are assumed to be highly susceptible to this type of propaganda.

Doubt because the ultimate goal is to get the consumer to doubt the product.

In other words, it's not much different than information terrorism. To get people all riled up and fearful about technology.

This thread is just as stupid as the lipo is dangerous threads.
Some guys like lipo....and some like nimh.
Run what you like and shut up about it.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by TimPotter
Not sure where this thread is going, that 10 others have not.
From what I remember, previous threads never really touched on "pushing your equipment to its limits for performance edge vs toning it down if it gets dangerous" aspects. It's a viable discussion on the hazards of our hobby and what risks we are willing to take in the name of performance.

If you feel I'm wrong, I'll be glad to bow out and leave this alone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.