Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dangerous Nickel Batteries!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 05:42 AM
Tech Master

Default Dangerous Nickel Batteries!!!

From the IFMAR Worlds with a rash of at least 2 teams blowing up nickel cells!

Wow! It was a miracle no one was hurt!

Maybe IFMAR and ROAR need to take a hard look at Nickel battery safety!!!!
Old 09-16-2007, 07:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You are too much Craps, LOL!!!!
Old 09-16-2007, 07:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Maybe if people stopped charging them @ 10 amps this wouldn't happen
Old 09-16-2007, 07:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Craps, we know you like Lipo's and do what you can do to advertise for them, but there's no need to post the same thread in two different parts of the forum, especially since the pics you posted has already been posted in the Worlds thread.

That said, as I said in the other thread, charging at stupid high amps (which drivers do at champs like the Worlds) will lead to things like that. Do it with Lipos and the same thing will happen sooner or later.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

A rash of...

Old 09-16-2007, 08:27 AM
Tech Master

Seems these nickel battery explosions and fires are happening more and more as the mah capacity goes up on them.

At one of the local tracks that has an oval with alot of 4 cell racers and probably over half the racers there in the other classes on the off road and oval tracks use li-po batteries with all the battery fires this year including one racers trailer buring up all his RC equipment were all caused by nickel batteries.

I agree everybody should take alot of care in handling and charging any kind of battery no matter what kind it is!
Old 09-16-2007, 08:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

We had one at our track during a race (obviously not charging at the time) and he doesn't charge at 10A. It was halfway through a 5 minute race and BANG!.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:56 AM
Tech Addict

Maybe you just need to copy/pasta this in every subforum, so no one will ever mis/charge their nimh cells again. . Thank you for reposting these pictures, I have learned the errors of someone else's ways and will now only run LiPo packs.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TMR CHASSIS
Maybe if people stopped charging them @ 10 amps this wouldn't happen
Exactly Raymond... people see to forget things usually dont just blow up for now reason there is catalyst. Whether it is over charging, misuse, shorting, or excessive heat. This goes for nicad, nimh, lipo, li-on and anyother battery power source.

Craps - Here is a suggestion and it is not meant to be butthole or anything. You are very passionate about lipo, and yes eventually it will be the norm. Instead of wasting time pointing fingers and threads like this one, take the high road and post threads that will help promote li-po. Dont make them based on fear, post the benefiits(as you already have some), proper usage, the proper equiment, storage etc. All the stuff that people would really need to know and understand for them to adopt the technology. I personally run nimhs without many problems. The ones I have had I caused by my actions. If you post positives you are probably more likely to win people over instead of preaching doom and gloom.

Ok, ive got my flack jacket on, my helmet and kevlar, hopefully I wont need it cause my suggestions were meant to be positive suggestions. But, its the internet lol..
Old 09-16-2007, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BillyCaldwell
. If you post positives you are probably more likely to win people over instead of preaching doom and gloom.
Sound advice.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:46 AM
Tech Master

Please people, I raced with nickel batteries at the Nats this year!

Li-pos have nothing to do with this thread and I don't see anything wrong with discussing a reaccuring problem that is happening more frequently here lately due to larger capacity nickel cells that maybe the technology is pushed beyond the limits of safety with nickel batteries causing serious concerns about them.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:53 AM
Tech Elite

My friend told me her hairspray burned down the side of thier yard. She forgot to mention that she was spraying it directly into a lighter.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:58 AM
Tech Addict

Ok to put an end to it only happens at high amp rates bs. There was a guy at the local track that had a IB4200 blow, and he was only charging his batteries at 4amps

I think that Ni-MH is at the limit of how much capacity they can hold, as it seems to be making them more and more unstable (and expensive ).
Old 09-16-2007, 11:17 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by carbon madness
Ok to put an end to it only happens at high amp rates bs. There was a guy at the local track that had a IB4200 blow, and he was only charging his batteries at 4amps

I think that Ni-MH is at the limit of how much capacity they can hold, as it seems to be making them more and more unstable (and expensive ).
That is the point I am trying to make and should be of concern for all!
Old 09-16-2007, 11:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

OH NOZE WHAT TO DO??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.