Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X >

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Old 02-20-2009, 08:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hebiki
have you tried opening up an LRP based esc to shorten the wires? curious to see how easy/hard it is to do so i can shorten the wires without having a crimping tool.
Thats what I did, it's not too hard
Originally Posted by dameetz
Why do you need to offsets the Lipo pack outwards?
That particular lipo is too tall to fit under the top deck. It's in a bitty design tray, which weighs 40g
Originally Posted by John St.Amant
I miss 10.5 .
Just a friendly word of precaution.
You need to tuck in that sensor lead. Its going to get yoinked!
That wouldn't be a good thing either, trust me!

The battery is offset like that to balance the chassis out . When its in the regular spot it takes more weight to ballence. Personally I like mine in the correct spot. They are also slowing down the polar moment. The Thunder Power 5000mah 40 c pack fits right in there. I perfer to keep my electronics protected instead of hanging the battery and wires out where they can get dammaged.
I want to shorten the sensor but I hear it's a real b!tch to do, so I just made it into a pretzel for the photos. To be honest I cant tell the difference between the 28c and the 40c SMC packs, so I might end up ditching my 40c pack and going back to using the PPD tray with the smaller lipo to keep the weight centred
Old 02-21-2009, 04:23 AM
Tech Elite

This might been ask before, how do you actually balance weight the car left-right? And from the pic that CraigM posted i can see the steering system has a carbon brace on top instead of blue alum stock brace that attached to the upper deck? Whats the purpose of it?
Old 02-21-2009, 08:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigM
Thats what I did, it's not too hard

That particular lipo is too tall to fit under the top deck. It's in a bitty design tray, which weighs 40g

I want to shorten the sensor but I hear it's a real b!tch to do, so I just made it into a pretzel for the photos. To be honest I cant tell the difference between the 28c and the 40c SMC packs, so I might end up ditching my 40c pack and going back to using the PPD tray with the smaller lipo to keep the weight centred
If you cant tell the difference .. I would suggest that you do not have enough grear on it. Or maybe even you have the timing down or punch turnd down or maybe even all the above. I had run my 3800 orion packs last week and the only thing I changed was the 40c thunder power battery . OH MAN WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Perhaps maybe go up a couple teeth on the pinion and try a before and after . You should be able to notice a big difference. I guarantee it!
Old 02-21-2009, 08:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Just out of curiosity, how did you come about this information?
Moreover, do you know what the Airtronics model number equivalent would be?

Thanks, Chris
Viktor Wilck is my r/c friend so he told me .
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X-dsc00556.jpg   Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X-dsc00557.jpg  
Old 02-21-2009, 10:13 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hebiki
sweet. thanks dude. now i dont have to buy a crimping tool.

now i wonder if the KO BMC is just as easy.
Much harder, but not impossible as you'll see on my cars
Old 02-21-2009, 01:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

A lot of people in certain threads have reported that the Orion packs lack punch, which would be why you felt a difference when switching from Orion to Thunder Power. It was not the change in C rating for you, it was the change of brand. Craig is talking about different C ratings in the same brand, SMC. So no, you cannot guarantee it.

If you cant tell the difference .. I would suggest that you do not have enough grear on it. Or maybe even you have the timing down or punch turnd down or maybe even all the above. I had run my 3800 orion packs last week and the only thing I changed was the 40c thunder power battery . OH MAN WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Perhaps maybe go up a couple teeth on the pinion and try a before and after . You should be able to notice a big difference. I guarantee it!

Last edited by miccal; 02-21-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:38 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by miccal
A lot of people in certain threads have reported that the Orion packs lack punch, which would be why you felt a difference when switching from Orion to Trackpower. It was not the change in C rating for you, it was the change of brand. Craig is talking about different C ratings in the same brand, SMC. So no, you cannot guarantee it.
Uhhh.. Okay , I guarantee you can feel the difference between my 3800 and the Thunderpower! ,,,, Hows that ? ..LOL

The 38's will be perfect in the dirt!!!
Old 02-21-2009, 08:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by nilsmedson
Just out of curiosity, how did you come about this information?
Moreover, do you know what the Airtronics model number equivalent would be?

Thanks, Chris
Viktor Wilck is my r/c friend so he told me .
Thank you very much for the info!

By the way, are those pics of your car?
Old 02-21-2009, 09:06 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by miccal
A lot of people in certain threads have reported that the Orion packs lack punch, which would be why you felt a difference when switching from Orion to Thunder Power. It was not the change in C rating for you, it was the change of brand. Craig is talking about different C ratings in the same brand, SMC. So no, you cannot guarantee it.
Wasn't the capacity and the C rating kinda related .. Like if you had more run time it affected the relative C rating . SMC onlt care to maximize case size rather than weather or not it fits in anyones cars or the conectivity ... but that water under a different bridge.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Wasn't the capacity and the C rating kinda related .. Like if you had more run time it affected the relative C rating . SMC onlt care to maximize case size rather than weather or not it fits in anyones cars or the conectivity ... but that water under a different bridge.
The capacity is the biggest factor in case size. I couldnt tell the difference between my SMC 40c and the 28's, but my friend says the difference is night and day compared to his old orions. With the new electronics I did think there was a punch difference, I'll do some more testing and figure it out

NOW... my car had the wandering issue more than ever today. I took it off the track, stuck it on the setup station, centred the servo and it was way off. I was like, "WTF???", then tugged on the servo saver and I could move it probably about 20 degrees each side of centre without much effort. I stuck a kimbrough saver on and problem solved, no more wandering and even after having a few hits and steered much more consistenly. It was after that I realised that my servo saver has had that issue for half the time I've had the car, I just always thought it was getting tweaked
Old 02-22-2009, 07:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

TITC 09
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X-m_a.jpg  
Old 02-22-2009, 08:25 AM
Tech Master

Excuse me

Could anybody tell me which size of HUDY arm reamers and turnbuckle wrench fits any TRF cars, please?

Best regards
Old 02-22-2009, 11:42 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigM
NOW... my car had the wandering issue more than ever today. I took it off the track, stuck it on the setup station, centred the servo and it was way off. I was like, "WTF???", then tugged on the servo saver and I could move it probably about 20 degrees each side of centre without much effort. I stuck a kimbrough saver on and problem solved, no more wandering and even after having a few hits and steered much more consistenly. It was after that I realised that my servo saver has had that issue for half the time I've had the car, I just always thought it was getting tweaked
I came across this tip about the Tamiya servo savers in the IFS thread:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/4939642-post523.html

I haven't tried it yet, though.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:21 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mac853
Excuse me

Could anybody tell me which size of HUDY arm reamers and turnbuckle wrench fits any TRF cars, please?

Best regards
I don't what the exact size of the arm reamers was, but with the turnbuckle wrench I recommend the Tamiya wrench itself, it's the best fit there is. I know some people using wrenches from other brands, but the all didn't fit as good as the Tamiya one, and as a result the turnbuckles were damaged and the blue went off. Which is something you want to avoid
Old 02-22-2009, 12:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by syndr0me
I came across this tip about the Tamiya servo savers in the IFS thread:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/4939642-post523.html

I haven't tried it yet, though.
yes it works. I do it to all my high torque servo savers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.