Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 08:24 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Fastforward
I am using Orion 4800's and I made some plywood blocks (same thickness as the chassis) the size of the battery slots and shoe gooed them to the battery to hold it in place. It works great. You have to space the 4800 out a little to get to the connector ports. I put one strip of sick on weight on the inside of the battery and it works as a spacer.

This works great, never a problem losing a battery. I only put plywood blocks on the front and rear of the battery which go into the front and rear battery slot.
Cool. So how would you rate your Lipo against a 6 cell pack in performance? Or were you running 5 cells before?
Old 03-22-2008, 10:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Arn0
It must be toe-in, if you set up a car with toe-out on your rear axle, you won't be able to drive the car as the rear will be very instable. Toe-in introduce some lateral forces on your tire as the car move forward. In straight, you have the same amount of lateral force on each side converging to the center line of the chassis, both wheel pointing in one direction. With toe-out, each wheel points in its own direction, the lateral force diverges from the center line, making the car "snaking".

Hope that helpful and clear!
What about the front toe Jiles is running? Looks like that is +1 deg toe out correct? After hearing about what toe out would do this sounds odd.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think my lipos run just as fast as my nimh packs did. And they are so much more user friendly. Sometimes I just recharge the same pack all day. No discharging or equalizing trays, I just start recharging as soon as I come off the track and go. You will find some who will debait performance but most at my track have changed to lipo and we don't think we have given up anything.

I added weight to my lipo to make to make the battery weight the same as a nimh. That way you should not be affecting weight distribution and handling.

Bob

Originally Posted by bboy
Cool. So how would you rate your Lipo against a 6 cell pack in performance? Or were you running 5 cells before?
Old 03-23-2008, 05:37 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Travis S
What about the front toe Jiles is running? Looks like that is +1 deg toe out correct? After hearing about what toe out would do this sounds odd.
Hum... that was clear so.

I specify for the rear axle on the first line as the rear wheel pointing toward one point to describe a point (that for the visualization). Without toe in, let say some toe-out, you won't be able to drive the car.

On the front end, you can introduce some slight toe-out to increase the steering. The principle still the same but the amount if far less, the car become maybe more reactive/faster when changing direction.

I guess Jilles can explain exactly why he introduces some toe-out in the front axle.

Hope it fine like so!
Old 03-23-2008, 05:39 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fastforward
I think my lipos run just as fast as my nimh packs did. And they are so much more user friendly. Sometimes I just recharge the same pack all day. No discharging or equalizing trays, I just start recharging as soon as I come off the track and go. You will find some who will debait performance but most at my track have changed to lipo and we don't think we have given up anything.

I added weight to my lipo to make to make the battery weight the same as a nimh. That way you should not be affecting weight distribution and handling.

Bob
what capacity lipo u use? brand? what amp do u charge ur lipo? what charger u use? what is lipo equalizing?
Old 03-23-2008, 08:18 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Arn0
Hum... that was clear so.
It was clear but after you told me what it would do in the rear I was 2nd guessing. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:02 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by fadzli
what capacity lipo u use? brand? what amp do u charge ur lipo? what charger u use? what is lipo equalizing?
I run orion 4800 lipos with the "EZ-LiPo" system (can be bought here http://www.ppdbillet.com/RC_accessories.html)

I did file out a bit of the inside of the top deck by the spur to give more room for the battery wire. (2nd attached picture)

I have tried both options: the base plate

and inserts

I currently like the inserts a bit better because it locks the pack in place better and also gives more top deck clearance. I am not sure if the base plate with the lipo interferes with the intended chassis flex or not since the top deck could hit the lipo.

I am also using the universal slide weight to mount on the side of my lipos.

So I didn't need to buy 2 since I run 2 packs I just mounted 2 weights on the outside of the packs and tape this brace in place in whatever pack I am using. (Picture 5 that I attached)

This setup I am currently at 1500g with the body and it was balanced out with balancing buttons.

The slide weight is great because you can easily add more or less weight to get it balanced out and to get to X amount of weight.

Here are some pictures and hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X-lipo1.jpg   Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X-lipo2.jpg   Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X-lipo3.jpg   Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X-lipo4.jpg   Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X-lipo5.jpg  

Old 03-23-2008, 09:04 AM
Tech Master

Here is a few more pictures
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X-lipo6.jpg   Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X-lipo7.jpg   Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X-lipo8.jpg   Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X-lipo9.jpg  
Old 03-23-2008, 05:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default charge

how do u charge and equalize ur lipo? what charger and amp u use?
Old 03-23-2008, 06:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by fadzli
how do u charge and equalize ur lipo? what charger and amp u use?
I use an Ice charger at 4.5amps. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHDJ1&P=ML

You can use a lot of different things to balance lipos. Like the following http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTSA5&P=ML or

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXRWF8&P=ML
Old 03-23-2008, 07:29 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks Travis !

Awesome mods! Great idea with the slots but why don't you stick them to the Lipo pack? Where did you get the alumnium blocks?

As for heat, do Lipos get as hot as NIMH after the run?

Nice filing the top deck, I guess I need to do the same since I am looking to get the same lipos..

Thanks for sharing. It's peope like you and TryHard that make this forum so great.

Cheers!

Old 03-23-2008, 07:35 PM
Tech Adept

Opps.. found the link for the blocks.

Thanks again...

Old 03-23-2008, 07:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

anyone tried using smc 5000 on their 416? i'm thinking of getting one. thanks
Old 03-23-2008, 07:53 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bboy
Thanks Travis !

Awesome mods! Great idea with the slots but why don't you stick them to the Lipo pack? Where did you get the alumnium blocks?

As for heat, do Lipos get as hot as NIMH after the run?
The only thing not mounted on the lipo is the slide bar on the side. 2 reasons for this. One being I use 2 packs and this lets me share the side peace without buying another one. The other is that I use these lipos in my TA05 and they will not fit with the slide bar on it. They fit nice and snug with the 2 7g weights on the sides though.

My lipos get warm and have yet to feel hot. I normally run the same pack in my car and re-peak it after every race as long as I have enough time for that. If not I change it out for my 2nd pack.

If you get lipos with the battery plugs/holes on the top then you can file a bit of the top deck like I did. Or you can turn them the other way but you need to put a spacer on the inside of the lipo where the belt is so the top deck does not cover the one side of the battery plug.

Even after the run the batteries never feel hot to me vs some NIMH I have felt.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:08 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bmmer701
anyone tried using smc 5000 on their 416? i'm thinking of getting one. thanks
I thought about getting one of them but I don't like where the plugs come out because I couldn't use the slide bar shown above and the height might be an issue as well. So I thought about the 4000 but the wire location just wasn't doing it for me.

Looking at my spacing on mine with the orion 4800 I have about 1.5-2mm space so it looks like you could fit a lipo under 25mm but you might have an issue with the top deck hitting the lipo interfering with the cars chassis flex.

SMC 5000 (286g) HxWxL: 24.5mm x 47mm x 136mm

SMC 4000 (241g) HxWxL: 20.5mm x 47mm x 136mm

Orion 4800 (258g) HxWxL: 23mm x 45mm x 137.5mm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.