Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Xray EVO2 vs. Raycer

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2003, 07:47 PM
Tech Adept

Default Xray EVO2 vs. Raycer

Whats up guys, I'm looking at an Xray being my next car because I hear great things about quality, performance, durability, and I want to be able to tweak everything with ease. However, I have a question. Right now I'm looking at the EVO2 Freedom Of Choice Edition because of all the hopups and the inclusion of both suspensions. At the same time, I hear the Raycer is an extremely dialed car, if not better, at a lower price. What have you heard? Some of the local Xray Team guys around here have decided to try out the Raycer in place of their EVO2's, so I'm really wondering which is the better car. Thanx!
Old 05-11-2003, 07:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default t1 raycer

i read in one mag that the new raycer is just as good.

with the chassis having a bit more flex it's actually more forgiving in the way you drive it.

here's the testing info from Xray...

"...It was clear immediately, that the car was easier to drive, and a string of fast and consistent lap times followed as a result. There was a slight increase in front end grip also. "

http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/new...&kategoria=223
Old 05-11-2003, 07:59 PM
Tech Elite

The Raycer's chassis does flex more than the graphite plate of the Evo2. The added flex brings nice advantages such as better cooling to the motor, lowest possible weight mounting position, and better traction in loose conditions. The disadvantages would be space constraints, and chassis warp. Yes, along with any plastic chassis car, the Xray is susceptible to warp if the car is left in the trunk on a hot day, or the batteries get too hot. If it weren't for the top deck taking the tweak out, it would be a difficult car to drive. The parts are interchangeable between the two cars at 2/3 the price of the Evo2.
Old 05-11-2003, 09:29 PM
Tech Adept

So if the Raycer is just as good handling-wise, but I still want the Evo2 because of all the options, I wouldn't be at a loss, would I? Money really isn't an issue, I've always gone on the theory that if you buy the cheaper stuff, you cry on occasion, but if you splurge, you only cry once.
Old 05-12-2003, 03:38 AM
Tech Elite

All of the option parts for the Evo2 fits the Raycer. I saw a couple of guys on this board, which want to try the Raycer chassis on their Evo2's !!!
Old 05-12-2003, 09:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by skibum989
So if the Raycer is just as good handling-wise, but I still want the Evo2 because of all the options, I wouldn't be at a loss, would I? Money really isn't an issue, I've always gone on the theory that if you buy the cheaper stuff, you cry on occasion, but if you splurge, you only cry once.
I know you will not be dissapointed if you get the more expensive kit (except for your wallet, but if that is not an issue than why not.)

I would advise getting the Evo 2 2003 freedom of choice kit, you'll get more of your money's worth in that kit than the 2002 Evo 2 kit as it gives you more options/tools for the same price as the 2002 Evo 2 kit. More details of it at www.teamxray.com or www.mytsn.com
Old 05-12-2003, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by RCInfinity
If it weren't for the top deck taking the tweak out, it would be a difficult car to drive. The parts are interchangeable between the two cars at 2/3 the price of the Evo2.
I would agree with that statement 100%. My first car was a HPI pro 3 and it was a bad handling car until I got the Team PRP top deck which made it much more solid. The car still wasn't up to par with performance that I like, so I switched over to the Xray and I haven't looked back since.
Old 05-14-2003, 11:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'd get the Freedom of Choice kit, and if you want to try the molded chassis, order one of those as well.
Old 05-14-2003, 12:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I bought the T1R Chassis and plastic battery straps to retrofit one of my evo2's to be a T1R. Costs-less than $40. a Carbon fiber evo2 chassis is $75 and the battery mounting hardware is probably another $20. So its easy to see that going from the Evo2 to the TiR is the best route if you can spring the extra $100 for the evo2 up front.

I am bummed though-I am buying the T1R chassis because it has been rumoured thats its better in high bite cnnnnditions than the evo2 chassis. I am planning on trying it with the solid and ultra flex top decks. Its hard to beleive it could be more fllexible than Carbon fiber sheet when combined with the right top deck.-but yu never know!!!
Old 05-14-2003, 05:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Guys around here are finding that T1R is just all around faster, but is more brittle (composite c-hub area). T1R seems to just accelerate harder... Mystery!
Old 05-14-2003, 06:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)
Default T1R chassis on the EVO2

Hey guys, I just finished my chassis conversion and will try it out this weekend. I have installed the stiff upper deck that came with the evo2 and the chassis will still flex a bit. I will let you know how it does this weekend. I live in south central texas and the heat will be an issue this weekend. So I will report on how the car did in this crazy heat we are having.

I did try to loosen up my belts so I can try to get the car to roll better and it seemed to want to roll more ( less friction). If anyone has any suggestions on this type of set up with the chassis change. Send them my way.
Old 05-14-2003, 08:23 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Devin
I would agree with that statement 100%. My first car was a HPI pro 3 and it was a bad handling car until I got the Team PRP top deck which made it much more solid. The car still wasn't up to par with performance that I like, so I switched over to the Xray and I haven't looked back since.
We must have been separated at birth

Thats my story to a tee
Old 05-15-2003, 04:55 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by wrxmy99
We must have been separated at birth

Thats my story to a tee
It's funny how HPI converts people over and then it's "NO MORE HPI" for the rest of your life. My thought now is, buy the best cause you will only buy it once. If you buy crap, you will end up ditching it for the best anyway so save yourself that crap cost
Old 05-15-2003, 11:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

My TIr/evo2 hybrid is built!!! Initial impressions are:

--Not enough room for electronics in this thing. Tight.

--The composite chassis is sooo flexible. More flexible than anything youve ever seen on a competitive RC car. BUT_when its built-it feels very rigid compared to the stock evo2 chassis. That is assuming you run the evo2 top-deck.

--getting batteries in and out will be a little tough. The battery straps are quite wide and tall so it forces you to bend-up or solder on your battery bars extra tall-hence making putting them in and taking them out harder than the evo2.

--I wanted to run my servo as far inboard as possible-so I ground the center channell a little bit to allow the servo arm to clear.

I cannot wait to try it!!!

Ray
Old 05-15-2003, 12:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ray's my Hero!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.