Wiki Posts
Search

problems with clutch bearings on 8t

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 08:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default problems with clutch bearings on 8t

i have had all kinds of clutch bearings go out one even started cutting a groove into my crank does anyone know how to solve this
Old 09-08-2007, 08:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

yeah sell it j/k

Get used to it. I owned an 8ight and an 8ight-T. Those suckers went through clutch bearings faster than any other RC I've owned or owned since then.

I typically replace my clutch bearings during a weekend of racing each day. Usually the bearings I pull out are in good shape. Not the case with the ones that have been in my Losi. They are usually gritty and seem on the verge of failure...
Old 09-08-2007, 10:02 PM
Tech Regular

ya i just dont feel like dealing with it do you think a different clutch setup would help
Old 09-08-2007, 10:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Its all about backlash and play.
Leave about 1-2mm of play and they will be fine.
But if your running the losi clutch with all AL shoes.
then there gonna go out. People around here that run the full AL shoes say their bearings are constantly goin out. I run the stock setup and have had the same set of bearings for 3 gallons.

Nate
Old 09-08-2007, 11:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

1-2mm of play seems like a ton of movement. I try for around .5mm front to back and just a slight "TICK" on the mesh. Do your best to line the engine/clutchbell to have good alignment with the spur gear. This is a big factor in bearing going south early. The teeth of the CB need to be lined up pretty straight with the spur or bearings will go bad and the gears will wear out rapidly also.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Red face

True on the .5mm of front to back play. I have been running mine for well over 1 year and have only used about 5 berings total.
Clean the grease out of your rear bearing and reoil lightly. Don't let the oil get up in the clutch where you can cause slippage and heat. Misalignment, slippage causing heat and dryness are the culprets here. You watch those things and you will be good to go for a long time.
TEX
Old 09-09-2007, 04:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Its really not about the end-play that causes the problem. Running aluminum shoes generates alot of heat. The buggies don't have as big a problem cause they tend to run at least a composite shoes and don't tend to slip as much as the truggies....
Old 09-09-2007, 07:26 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I've had the exact same problem when running my KH 7075 setup in my truggy, I've tried the "mega bell play",ultra "loose mesh", softer springs like green/gold, all gold, gold/silver, all silver and I still only get around .5 gallon before the outer bearing get's smoked. When I switch to carbon/alum mix THEN I get easily 2-3 gallons on the bearings. Problem is the carbon clutch only lasts about .5 to .75 gallons! I'm about ready to ditch the whole thing and go with an aftermarket clutch... Funny thing, is that my MBX5R clutch with STOCK alum shoes/springs/bearings, goes for at least 2-3 gallons without maintenance other than the usual occasional sanding...
Old 09-10-2007, 12:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What are people using when they swap over to a 3 shoe set up.? What mount, bell, shoes, springs?
Old 09-10-2007, 02:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

I have seen no more bearing maintenance this year on 2 Eights and a 8t than a standard 3 shoe last year. As far as clutch shoes the are wearing 3 times better than a standard 3 shoe.
I am putting new bearings in for our 30 minute main. Then oil the bearings the next week with 10w30 Mobil 1, and use them in practice and heats. (Oiling them if they start to feel dry) At only $1 a piece at A-main this is pretty cheap.

Rex
Old 09-10-2007, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

My clucth bearings in my 8ight lasted me 4 gallons, and I just had to replace them because the smaller one got really rough. I'm sure I could have kept the larger one in, but I replaced it as well. I didn't do anything special to them either. They've lasted alot longer than my previous 3 shoe clutch bearings did.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:43 PM
Tech Master

This is an 1/8th scale issue to me. Ya I wear out clutch bearings in a day or two of run time in my 8B but I did it on the Mugens & kyosho's that I had as well. Just buy them in bulk & change them.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:49 PM
Tech Elite

over heating your engine on the low end will kill your bearings also. That's why when you temp your engine, you need to temp the top and the side of the case
Old 09-10-2007, 04:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I change my clutch bearings before every main. I know side load on them from mesh being misaligned can kill them. But like 22racer said, $1 a piece is a good insurance policy. And I'm running the 4 carbon shoe setup on my buggy and I'm getting 3 times the life or more from them than I did with the aluminum shoes in a 3 shoe Mugen clutch.