Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Deans Connectors? >

Deans Connectors?

Deans Connectors?

Old 05-11-2003, 02:15 PM
Tech Adept

Default Deans Connectors?

Im thinkin about changing all my tamiya connectors to deans connectors.

What u reckon on this?
Old 05-11-2003, 02:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

That's what I did, but now im considering going to hard wiring so I'll have a bunch of deans connectors with wires with no home, so I think it ended up being a small waste of money. But if you're not a serious racer, I think it's a great idea. Go for it !
Old 05-11-2003, 02:52 PM
Tech Elite

it's a very good idea, tamiya connectors are useless.
when you change you will be able to tell the difference in power imediatly

people will say hardwiring is the best and it is, as long as you can solder well, it also means you have to have a hot soldering iron laying around all the time and it takes more time to solder than plug in one or two connectors.
I use corrally gold tubes on my cells, I don't think there is any noticable difference between a solder joint into a male connector and then a contact to the female tube compared to a solder to a bent battery bar, infact I've yet to see a driver in scotland hardwire, it seems to be a gimmock that lots of US club drivers do

Last edited by Herminator; 05-11-2003 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-11-2003, 04:22 PM
Suspended

I hard wire all of mine now but i use to use the dean connectors. Expecially if your running 4 cell because you need as much pwer as you can get. But the dean connectors are very good alot better than the tamiya.
Old 05-11-2003, 04:31 PM
Tech Initiate

Arrow Corally-Style Connectors

I have had good luck with Corally-Style gold plated bullet connectors.

Specifically, the Trinity R-Minus Gold Plugs. They eliminate the need for wire leads on packs, and have very low resistance.
Old 05-11-2003, 09:04 PM
Tech Master

all of the top quality connectors ie. Deans, Trinity, Orion, Corraly, etc have the same amount of resitance as the equivalent amount of wire so they are just as good as hard wiring. The only disadvantage is with Deans you sometimes need more wire since the + and - need to run parrallel to the connector. But with the others it is the same as hard wiring. I run Deans but that's only because I have too much equipment to change it all over to another.
Old 05-12-2003, 02:21 AM
Tech Regular

I once measured a 11mV voltage drop over a Corally connector with 30 A current. That is equivalent to ~5 cm of quality wire.
Old 05-12-2003, 04:01 AM
Tech Adept

So what connectors do u reckon i should get, i do like the ones where the female is soldiered to the battery and the male just plugs intro that, what are they, and are they easy to soldier to the battery??

Thanks
Old 05-12-2003, 06:04 AM
Tech Initiate

I have both hard wired and used deans connectors and the truth is that there is NO difference between the two except that hard wiring is a big pain in the but definately trash the tamiya otherwise you might end up with a big chunk of plastic with a ton of resistance that WONT COME OFF because they will eventually melt together. and that will end your race day real quick (it happened to me )
Old 05-12-2003, 09:56 AM
Tech Elite

Default Connector wiring

Guys;

The Female end ALWAYS goes to the side that will have Power, (Batteries, ESC). You don't want the live Male end to touch Metal accidentally.
For soldering the Deans plugs I recommend holding them in a vise or with Pliers held closed with a Rubber Band.
Keep both ends plugged together when soldering to avoid warping the connectors from the heat and always Pre-tin the Wires and Terminals.

I should add that the Power Pole connectors are a little easier to assemble, but are slightly larger in overall size when assembled than the Deans.

Last edited by popsracer; 05-12-2003 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-12-2003, 11:13 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by doublest
So what connectors do u reckon i should get, i do like the ones where the female is soldiered to the battery and the male just plugs intro that, what are they, and are they easy to soldier to the battery??

Thanks
several companies sell those, GM, Trinity, Orion, Corrally, and others
Old 05-13-2003, 02:19 PM
Tech Adept

Default Re: Corally-Style Connectors

Originally posted by Bartz!
I have had good luck with Corally-Style gold plated bullet connectors.

Specifically, the Trinity R-Minus Gold Plugs. They eliminate the need for wire leads on packs, and have very low resistance.
After a one-year relationship with Dean's plugs I feel like I know them pretty well. If you are racing, or aspiring to race, then you might want to skip the step from Tamiya connectors to Dean's altogether and go straight to the ones suggested by Bartz (or to hardwiring). I have just gone to these and although I haven't yet raced to tell any dividends in performace. I can tell you the following since leaving Dean's plugs:

That I have shaved 25% off of the amount of wire I used - which does equate directly to less resistance. In addition, that is less weight (although negligable).

Also, soldering Dean's plugs can be a tricky and particular feat of patience and skill - I never quite got it right. And invariably after a few months of use I would find the male connector which ran from my ESC to be loose at the point of contact with the connector - definately equalling a loss in power.

Lastly, they are expensive! Using deans, plus pigtails (which I ultimately resorted to because the factory (or ProMatch) did a much better job of soldering than I) was a $3 per pack habit! So, that made a normal $60 pack a $63 endeavor - which adds up after 5-6 packs; although I was able to find them cheaper on ebay after a few months of this, it was still expensive.

So, with all of that said, I am trying out Trinity's R-minus connectors and, so far, they are much easier to solder, are cheaper (got a bulkpack, which will do 10 battery packs for under $15 US) and use much less wire. I am assuming that all of that will have an impact on performance. You might just do the same.

Good luck!

Kaizen
Old 05-13-2003, 02:32 PM
Tech Adept

Yea im deff going for the Trinity ones, they sound good, most of the people at my local track are using them too.

Thanks for information
Old 05-13-2003, 04:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yeah, good choice. It's also always nice when you have the same type of equipment as lots of other people at your track because if you ever have any trouble you can get lots of help. . I'm gonna try to make back some of the money I spent on my deans plugs when I move to hard wiring. I don't feel like installing all new plugs on all of my battaries and chargers . I don't mean to be arrogant or anything but I'm quite good at soldering so spending a few seconds to solder a couple of wires on doesn't really affect me. But thats just me, also having a nice soldering iron makes a world of difference, especially for installing new plugs. Before I got a nice soldering iron I installed deans plugs on 5 battaries and two speed control with one of those pieces of crap soldering iron that have no adjustable temperature and just get hotter as they sit, one of those 8 doller pieces. It was hard but I only ruined one plug.
Old 05-13-2003, 04:56 PM
Tech Regular

are sermos plug any good? sermos plug are the type that have no male or female plug.