Wiki Posts
Search

It's been 20 years

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 07:19 AM
Tech Rookie

Default It's been 20 years

Since I raced electric.

The RC10 was a metal tub with white plastics and the Losi Jr was the new kit on the block. A 1700mah nicad was about as good as you could get and I even remember racing with an old wiper style mechanical speed controller.
I really enjoyed racing even if it was just stock class, but school and then career and marriage took precedence and all my stuff somehow disappeared.

So one day a buddy of mine says he got his son an R/C car for his birthday. Then a few weeks later he tells me he's gotten another car for himself along with a truck and a buggy. That was all it took, next thing I know I'm checking out the local hobby shop during lunch one day and the hook is set.
Now I'm just putting the finishing touches on a RB5 and in the process of getting my track box back together. I'm not quite sure what to expect come raceday, the cars are more refined but not much different. The electrics are definitely better. Racing is racing though, and I just hope I'm not too rusty.

Not really a point to this post, just wanted to drop in and say "Hi" and if anyone reading this is at Mike's in Dallas this saturday, take it easy on the new guy.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:41 AM
Tech Adept

I am so gonna kick your butt next month!!! lol

I am the guy he referenced.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Welcome back!! I came back to racing about a year ago after a 10 year "break". The cars are soooo much better now that you'll be suprised at how "easy" it is to get back into a groove again Good luck and have fun!
Old 09-06-2007, 07:43 AM
Team Tekin

Welcome back to the hobby Scrogg!

All I can say is that you will be much happier without the wiper-style mechanical SC, and the cars are so much more advanced now, some great designs out there. I'm becomming great friends with Brushless 1/8 Scales, pretty low maintenance (besides your normal wear/tear and the diffs) and almost bulletproof with the right hardware! 1/10 scale? What's a 1/10 scale? LOL

Good luck with your new racing adventures, I'm sure you'll get it all back in no time!
Old 09-06-2007, 07:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

My story is very similar to yours! I had a Hotshot in the mid 80s with that wiper mechanical speed control and a couple 1200 mah nicds. I got out of the hobby because being 14, with no job, it eats up your allowance.

Fast forward to 2005, a couple friends of mine show up at my house 1 morning after they visited the local hobby shop. One guy bought a B4, the other guy bought a T4. After doing my research, I decided I would get the RC10 FTB4. Then, I called my buddy who just happened to be into RC's in the late 90's. He dug out his old stuff, but his batteries where hosed and his B3 wasn't cuttin it. He sold it, and bought a FTB4. The rest is history.

The 2 bums who showed up at my house, they ran there cars around for a couple weeks and that was it.......

BTW, welcome back, alot has changed and nothing has changed.

Brushless/Lipo is the future in electric.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by d4man
alot has changed and nothing has changed.

Aint that the truth!
Old 09-06-2007, 08:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I know how this story goes. I took off for about 13 years due to my new hobby of building real cars. fast forward to october 2006 when my buddy decided he was getting a touring car to run at his local carpet track. I now have 7 cars and am racing every week.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:24 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Sweet Lou
I am so gonna kick your butt next month!!! lol
Just remember, you will be a long way from home!

Looking forward to it Lou, I just hope that B4 of yours can stay together with the way you drive.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:30 AM
Tech Adept

I havent broken a car part in months, well, not a real car part. I think I broke a body mount on my t4 fairly recently. but nothing that kept me from finishing a race.

however! on tuesday my t4 kind of went tits up. I brought it home and switched motors and the issue is the same. I am thinking my esc is in need of being replaced. I will be sending it back to lrp for replacement. its really weird, the esc isnt even a month old. I have one more option I am gonna try before I am certain it is the esc, but I think I am right.

my only, and I mean only concern about coming down there next month is not knowing the track well enough to not look like a tool. but with practice time all day friday I feel I will be ok. besides, its just YOU!!
Old 09-06-2007, 08:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I see where you're coming from, my Old Man's in a similar position. Back when he was my age the big thing was slot cars, I never get tired of listening to the stories of everything those guys did to those cars back then, all the garage engineering he did (and not all of it race-legal ) for his "1/2 Fast Racing" cars.

Then he met the woman who would eventually become his wife and my mom, and the slot car hobby kinda drifted away as well...then as I'm about to enter high school I get this R/C car kick, and he becomes my mode of transportation to and from the track as well as my chief mechanic. The inevitable happens, the guys we pit with every week start asking him "so when are you gonna get one of these things and go racing with the kid?"

Long story short, there's 2 identical electric trucks in our basement with different names above the doors.

"1/2 Fast" is back in business
Old 09-06-2007, 08:49 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile
I see where you're coming from, my Old Man's in a similar position. Back when he was my age the big thing was slot cars, I never get tired of listening to the stories of everything those guys did to those cars back then, all the garage engineering he did (and not all of it race-legal ) for his "1/2 Fast Racing" cars.

Then he met the woman who would eventually become his wife and my mom, and the slot car hobby kinda drifted away as well...then as I'm about to enter high school I get this R/C car kick, and he becomes my mode of transportation to and from the track as well as my chief mechanic. The inevitable happens, the guys we pit with every week start asking him "so when are you gonna get one of these things and go racing with the kid?"

Long story short, there's 2 identical electric trucks in our basement with different names above the doors.

"1/2 Fast" is back in business
this is why I started r/c to begin with. wanted to make a connection with my son that would ensure I get to see him once in a while after he graduated from high school. now he and I race, my wife, daughter, and other son as well. been quite fun thus far.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:54 AM
Tech Rookie

Now see Lou, if you had been using a mechanical wiper speed control, you wouldn't be having this problem.

Seriously though, sorry to hear about your misfortune. You gonna have it back in time for your trip or you gonna just get a back-up?

You get your plane tickets yet?
Old 09-06-2007, 08:57 AM
Tech Adept

I wasnt bringing that truck with me anyway. I am only bringing the b4 with me. I figure since you and red are running buggy there is no need for me to bring anything other than my buggy.

I will be getting my tickets this weekend most likely. so you better practice, practice, practice. lol
Old 09-06-2007, 09:54 AM
Tech Master

Sweet Lou and Scrogg--Where were you guys racing when you guys first started? I have a feeling I raced with you guys many years ago if you were up in Washington at that time. I too have been in and out of this hobby, and have since m oved to another state, but I used to race at TRCR even before Scott Brown took it over. I raced at Hobby Hut, B & I, 4 Seasons (Scott's parents track) and many of the the other indoor tracks that came and went. It's a pretty small world I figure and if we crossed paths it would be fun to see if we remeber each other.... One word of advice, the bug comes back STRONGER when you get out and come back..... Trust me, now I have an RC business, so it's not just my hobby anymore.....
Old 09-06-2007, 09:59 AM
Tech Adept

keith, I have only been racing r/c for about 6 months now. scrogg is from dallas so its not likely you have ever met him before either. I used to go to the old trcr as a kid, but never raced. sorry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.