Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Hara twister 2.2 or Lrp sphere tc >

Hara twister 2.2 or Lrp sphere tc

Hara twister 2.2 or Lrp sphere tc

Old 09-04-2007, 07:24 AM
Tech Adept

Default Hara twister 2.2 or Lrp sphere tc

Sorry people, this type of thread got on my nerves aswel but i couldnt find anything purely related...

My current brushed speed control has just given up on me (twister) and im just wondering how much difference there would be, if i used the lrp/nosram one with a 27turn/19turn motor... At the moment i am only running brushed but i plan to change within 6month or so... Is it worth getting a brushed speed controller now due to the performance difference i would get, or is the difference less extreme than this?
Old 09-04-2007, 07:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cyclone
Sorry people, this type of thread got on my nerves aswel but i couldnt find anything purely related...

My current brushed speed control has just given up on me (twister) and im just wondering how much difference there would be, if i used the lrp/nosram one with a 27turn/19turn motor... At the moment i am only running brushed but i plan to change within 6month or so... Is it worth getting a brushed speed controller now due to the performance difference i would get, or is the difference less extreme than this?
Funds permitting and if you are goning BL in the future, invest in the BL/Brushed ESC. Why spend almost the same amount of cash on an ESC that runs only one type of motor when for a few dollars more, you can buy something that, with a quick motor swap, can detect brushed from brushless AND has lipo cut-off? If LRP is in your future, buy it now.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:43 AM
Tech Adept

Hi, cheers for the speedy reply
I understand what you are saying but i was told that the brushed specific controllers are better at doing what they do than the brushless/brushed equivlent...
Is there really much of a difference...?
cheers!
Old 09-04-2007, 08:09 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by cyclone
Hi, cheers for the speedy reply
I understand what you are saying but i was told that the brushed specific controllers are better at doing what they do than the brushless/brushed equivlent...
Is there really much of a difference...?
cheers!
Yes and no. With the Bl/Brushed ESC's, there are more profiles for BL than brushed however, the newer combo ESC's have options that dont come as standard for Brushed esc's....fans, lipo cut-off and the ability to go to BL which is probably something you are looking forward to. For the money, why spend:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXSFL3&P=SM

when you can spend:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LRP-Sphere-Compe...QQcmdZViewItem

and get more profiles without the limitations. Again, if its in your future to go brushless and your funds allow, get the LRP Sphere ESC TC. I'm a Novak guy and i recommend that (the LRP in this instance) over any brushed only esc's.

Last edited by bxpitbull; 09-04-2007 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:26 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks mate, and enjoy your hpi family
Old 09-04-2007, 09:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

if you are a serious racer and you will run brushed motors i guess you should buy twister 2.2 or another twister 2.1 (almost the same). However, if in a few months time and you are already decided (now) that you run brushless motors i guess go for a bl/brushed esc. from my experience i like the feel of running twister 2.1 with a brushed motor (23t) than when i used my lrp tc spec. maybe the settings or something but the twister 2.1 was so smooth. i know you can change the profile of the lrp tc spec but that's my opinion. right now i have two lrp tc spec and one twister 2.2 (sold the twister 2.1 to buy this hehe). i might sell my other lrp tc spec. cheers.

hehe and i'm using a cyclone too (if you are using that also)

cheers
Old 09-04-2007, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

bmmer701,

On your previous post. So if your serious about racing you should only run brushed motor? please clarify
Old 09-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Tech Addict

I think he means that if you are serious about running brushed then the twister is the way to go.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:26 AM
Tech Addict

Also, i think the lrp esc can recognize brushed motors automatically so you do not need to program the esc. With a novak gtb, you need to attach the three motor leads together and also re-program the esc.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:29 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by wfdfiremedic
Also, i think the lrp esc can recognize brushed motors automatically so you do not need to program the esc. With a novak gtb, you need to attach the three motor leads together and also re-program the esc.
I said that. I mentioned "Novak" strictly to let him know how I felt about his impending decision on which type of ESC to roll with. For a Novak guy to give the LRP TC props, that says something. The ability to recognize BL and Brushless is one of the things about the LRP I do like...that and the removable sensor harness.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wfdfiremedic
I think he means that if you are serious about running brushed then the twister is the way to go.