Wiki Posts
Search

BE CAREFULL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 11:52 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bus driver
The problem with that is there is no regulation that makes the company to make them safe.So your neighbor can have acheap one,someone across from you pitting.Untill there is some regs their will be to many problems.Walk up to someone in your local hobby store when they are purchasing the first car if they know the difference between orion batts and brand b batts.I think you will already know the answer.Listen to the hobby store worker.Are they just selling the stuff or are they warning customers of the danger of other brand.Most likely not.They want to sell products.there is a store here that sells them yet does not allow them at thier track.huh doesnt make sense to me.
Our track only allows the use of Orion LiPo packs. Problem solved.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Syndr0me, sounds like it is time to bump your Lipo Awareness thread.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TeamButter
Here is the main reason why Li-Po's are dangerous...Lithium itself is a highly combustible Alkaline hence its propensity to blow small scale r/c helicopters into oblivion. All batteries have their inherent risks but perhaps Lithium is just not good for OUR application...
So are you saying all development should stop and this technology be scrapped for our purposes by posting all this? Are you saying that every lipo from the cheap packs you get on ebay up to Orion and A123 packs are inherently unsafe for our application? Do you see ANY lipos being safe enough for our purposes either now or in the future?
Old 08-22-2007, 11:55 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by or8ital
Syndr0me, sounds like it is time to bump your Lipo Awareness thread.
It's the same tired old stories from someone new each time. I'm reaching the end of my patience for educating the unwashed masses.

At least the guy's dog didn't die this time. Last time I heard that story I think it killed a dog and a whole pack of puppies.
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Good thing I never introduced my Magnesium cells....LMAO!!

In all seriousness, all the stuff we use is a possible carcinogen, an explosive or a projectile it just takes some precautionary measures and some fundamental understanding on how these things work to ensure the safety of the user...

Tech Champion

Just to clarify Syndr0me and I race at different tracks. So there is an example of two tracks that are regulating them.
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by or8ital
Our track regulates them. Orion only. I dont believe they sell any other car lipo batteries.

If your sure thats awsome.Just check next time your there.If they seel others ask them why?I have this store told me because they are cheaper and thats what people want.They compromise safty for cost.I will run lipo soon and it will be the safe one because I have the knowledge.Hobbyshops on and offline are not warning people and stocking there shelves with the cheap packs.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

The problem with that is there is no regulation that makes the company to make them safe.So your neighbor can have acheap one,someone across from you pitting.Untill there is some regs their will be to many problems.Walk up to someone in your local hobby store when they are purchasing the first car if they know the difference between orion batts and brand b batts.I think you will already know the answer.Listen to the hobby store worker.Are they just selling the stuff or are they warning customers of the danger of other brand.Most likely not.They want to sell products.there is a store here that sells them yet does not allow them at thier track.huh doesnt make sense to me.
Do you think that some sort of regulating body could come up with some set of guidelines for manufacturers to follow the be legal for racing? Wish we had one of those for RC as it would really help in these gray areas.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kuzo
So are you saying all development should stop and this technology be scrapped for our purposes by posting all this? Are you saying that every lipo from the cheap packs you get on ebay up to Orion and A123 packs are inherently unsafe for our application? Do you see ANY lipos being safe enough for our purposes either now or in the future?
Well if an element is inherently dangerous, such as LITHIUM perhaps an alternative should be sought after. Whether it is in the protective case encasing the cells or if it in fact means using a different element. By posting all of this I was attempting to educate people on WHY lithium (LiPo) is dangerous....because the chemical itself is dangerous. Same goes for Magnesium and any of the other volatile elements that can be used.

I'm all for longer run times and ease of use such as what Lipo has introduced but perhaps we can work towards the same benefits with a safer cell...

Hope that answers your question.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

Do you think that some sort of regulating body could come up with some set of guidelines for manufacturers to follow the be legal for racing? Wish we had one of those for RC as it would really help in these gray areas.
IT SHOW A NUF AINT ROAR
Old 08-22-2007, 12:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

It would be great if they did.Set guide lines.Why can orion get it right?It can be done but the companys dont have to.

As for the comment of nimh batts now being more dangerous then ever.You done said man,they show enough is.
Tech Champion

If your sure thats awsome.Just check next time your there.If they seel others ask them why?I have this store told me because they are cheaper and thats what people want.They compromise safty for cost.I will run lipo soon and it will be the safe one because I have the knowledge.Hobbyshops on and offline are not warning people and stocking there shelves with the cheap packs.
Well as of a week ago they didnt. I cant be sure they didnt in the last week since I have visited but I would guess not.
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by TeamButter
I'm all for longer run times and ease of use such as what Lipo has introduced but perhaps we can work towards the same benefits with a safer cell.
Many of us feel we've reached that point with Kokam's cells. It's unfortunate they're even called LiPo, because that nomenclature puts them on the same plane as the cheap-ass chinese cells that cause the problems. When in reality, they're massively different.

Maybe Kokam should call their cells Li-Awesome, and we can call the other cells Li-Sux, and be done with it.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

IT SHOW A NUF AINT ROAR
You know the second that somebody produces some requirements for pack safety that Orion and A123 won't be alone in producing safer packs. Right now, there's no incentive since they can undercut their prices and claim to be just as good without all the bells and whistles.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Many of us feel we've reached that point with Kokam's cells. It's unfortunate they're even called LiPo, because that nomenclature puts them on the same plane as the cheap-ass chinese cells that cause the problems. When in reality, they're massively different.

Maybe Kokam should call their cells Li-Awesome, and we can call the other cells Li-Sux, and be done with it.

New thread anyone??? Just for you syndr0me!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.