Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Q: Best 1:10 Buggy Offering? >

Q: Best 1:10 Buggy Offering?

Q: Best 1:10 Buggy Offering?

Old 08-22-2007, 04:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

why not use futaba's 2.4 system? its called fasst.
brushless i dont think you can go wrong with either novak or lrp.
choice on battery if you plan on racing i would check to see if your local tracks allow lipo.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:04 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

4wd is making a big comeback with a large variety of vehicles out there. With AE throwing there hat in the ring finally, will shape up to be an interesting class.

Regardless of the brand you choose, go with the 2.4Ghz radio setups that are out now. no more messing with frequency conflicts. If you do go with the Spektrum DX3.0 models and use the SR3000 receiver, you'll need the glitch buster power capacitor, its like 5 bucks. the SM3001 or SR3500 receivers ( I use the SR3500 and the SR3000) don't have those issues.

As for brushless, the legal units out right now are from Novak and LRP. the Mamba Max setup if allowed at your track can work well for the money, and has features I prefer on it as well. Only thing to keep in mind is how well it fits in a buggy, goes for all of them.

As for batteries, big thing going on now is the move to Lipo style packs. If your track will allow them, getting a max amps 8000mah lipo, running 20+ minute mains and only needing 1 battery for the whole day really rocks from what I understand.

As for servos, variety of brands out there that are good. Futaba and Airtronics as always are still reliable units too.

As for what kit to go with, only issue with the B4 is that if you hit something and its the graphite one, it doesn't give like plastic and can be more prone to breakage.

If you do pickup a B4 or even a T4, let me know, I have some NIB parts, springs, etc that you may be interested in cheap.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Cain, is this the radio you suggest I purchase?

Is this the receiver that you recommend?

Anyone else have another choice other than the Futaba models that were mentioned?

3PK
and the:
3PM FS-Pro

The reason I'm asking all these questions *now* is because if I'm going to re-enter the hobby, I'm going to re-enter it with the finest quality, most reliable parts and accessories out there. And I'm still leaning toward the B4 buggy. I looked at some photos of it, and there are definitely a few things I'm not crazy about wrt durability given their choice of design/parts, but I'm guessing those components can be changed out for stronger components anyway, so I'm not too concerned.

--
Ed
Old 08-22-2007, 09:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Just re-entering the sport also!

Hi, Like ed I'm just rejoining the sport also. I used to race 4wd buggies back in the mid to late eighties, namely the old HOTSHOT and Turbo Optima. I have been aquiring equipment in preparation and have settled upon 2 buggies: Lazer zx5 (for nostalgic reasons - big kyosho fan)
Hot Bodies Cyclone D4 (looks very competitive, heaps of
graphite in standard kit and is receiving good reviews)
Both of these cars are shaft driven, I'm just a little cautious of the
belt drive models and I think shaft drives will return in numbers soon.
I am yet to settle on transmitter and radio, yet I am happy to start with an inexpensive model to begin with. Would a JR XS3i be a good starter coupled with JR 590 servos? Can I convert this later to 2.4G system in order to ditch the crystals? or do I need to sell and purchase say... spektrum?
I have been thinking of getting the lrp sphere esc and coupling it with a Reedy Neo one star 13t brushless motor. Good choice? Also the lrp brush/brushless esc come in competition or standard, would the standard sphere be acceptable?
Old 08-22-2007, 09:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

if your thinking of using spektrum in the future, you may as well go ahead and get it right away. its not to pricey, and there a few models. as far as a 13 turn brushless, most places that have 4wd run mod, so most will have something down in 6.5-4.5 range. but when getting back in a slower motor may be good, then get something a little faster as your feel of the car improves.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by raceGEEK
if your thinking of using spektrum in the future, you may as well go ahead and get it right away. its not to pricey, and there a few models. as far as a 13 turn brushless, most places that have 4wd run mod, so most will have something down in 6.5-4.5 range. but when getting back in a slower motor may be good, then get something a little faster as your feel of the car improves.

Thanks mate. What would you recommend once I get up to speed on the Neo 13t? Should I stick with reedy or am I better to look elswhere for a hotter brushless? Also, will the standard lrp sphere esc cope with lower turn brushless motors? And you mention 6.5 to 4.5 range? Is that the number of turns or a different measure?
Old 08-22-2007, 09:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ed M.
OK, I guess we can look at 2WD kit and then explore 4WD kit later on. I'm on my way out the door and will check back later.

Thanks guys!

--
Ed
The kyosho ultima rb5 is the best car out hands down. people are switching at my track by the masses !!! ok maybe not but in the last 2-3 months it has become probably the most popular. i will say, this guy that ran a xxx-cr has now switched to the rb5 and was 1.5 sec. quicker a lap with the rb5 the first day he switched. he has had them all and the rb5 is the best in his opinion. the rb5 has the best of the b4 and the best of the losi. my rb5 finds its own lines on the track i love it !
Old 08-22-2007, 10:07 PM
Tech Master

Cain, is this the radio you suggest I purchase?

Is this the receiver that you recommend?

Anyone else have another choice other than the Futaba models that were mentioned?

3PK
and the:
3PM FS-Pro

The reason I'm asking all these questions *now* is because if I'm going to re-enter the hobby, I'm going to re-enter it with the finest quality, most reliable parts and accessories out there. And I'm still leaning toward the B4 buggy. I looked at some photos of it, and there are definitely a few things I'm not crazy about wrt durability given their choice of design/parts, but I'm guessing those components can be changed out for stronger components anyway, so I'm not too concerned.

--
Ed
http://2.4gigahertz.com/systems/futk2020.html
Old 08-23-2007, 07:27 AM
Tech Master

I highly recommend finding a good hobbyshop and holding all the top radios to see which one is more comfortable for you. If you want the best you should be looking at the Futaba 3pk, Airtonics M11, JR Z1, or Nomadio React. If you want to go 2.4 ghz then I suggest sticking with the FASST for Futaba, Airtonics has a new 2.4ghz system for the M11, JR you will have to use the Spektrum Pro (much better than original spektrum). Nomadio only sells 2.4 ghz radios. The 3pk and M11 are a little on the heavy side which will not be a big deal for electric racing. The JR is lighter and the Nomadio is extremely light.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If you live in NJ check out family hobbies raceway in vineland, one of the best tracks around.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:14 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

The radio I have is the plan DX3. Its shell is based on the JR XR3 radio. It does the job, and I haven't had any issues about it missing certain bells and wistles. The DX3.0 feels better, but needs more model memory if you run more than one vehicle on the radio. 3 is its max I believe.

Futaba and airtronics versions do more.

the SR3500 is the receiver I recommend. it is EXTREMELY tiny and doesn't need the capacitor like the SR3000 does. no complaints there. The SR3000 receivers however are not bad. Its just you need that little capacitor which is like 5 bucks each. No biggy.

B4 is a good vehicle. I ran mine with a mamba 5700 unit. was plenty powerful. Others may feel too much, but felt just right for me.

Main thing is when you start with the B4 assuming factory team, buy the plastic chassis right away and install that instead. gives alittle more rear traction, and pickup the AE lead weights kit and use 1 oz in front of the tranny case ( you will see what I mean when you have it in your hands) and another 1/4 oz on each side of the rear sections (can provide pics). really plants the car.

If you get a Team model B4, let me know, I may have some durability stuff you will want too like the aluminum front hingepin brace. Team version however is really good too. If I recall, it won a worlds, plastic and all.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Hey, thanks for all the input, guys! Andy, I live in NJ. I used to race every Friday evening at a place called B.I.R. Hobby Shop. I don't think it's there anymore. There was also a track in Bridgewater, NJ that a few of us used to go to on Saturdays every 2 to 3 weeks. Other than that my cars have seen lots of NJ shore terrain as well as NJ and PA forrest terrain as well as paved city streets and parks and parking lots. I've even raced them around a few large indoor warehouse loading areas when I was able to.

BTW, what about a reliable, bullet-proof receiver for the speed control and servos?

I'm looking at the LRP ECSs now...

--
Ed
If youre going with Futaba, definately get the FAAST system instead of Spektrum. Futaba also offers many different servos that could suit your needs and towerhobbies.com has an application chart for them. I would look for something in the .10 or below transit, and then ~100 oz/in for torque.

Originally Posted by brian mills
If you live in NJ check out family hobbies raceway in vineland, one of the best tracks around.
Ed, here is where you want to take a look for who is running what and allow that to influence your decision. Support is all too important.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks guys. I'm considering everything that's been suggested. I've been rather busy with other stuff lately, but I'll be sure to keep you posted as to my purchase decisions.

--
Ed