Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Need a good ST beginners truck >

Need a good ST beginners truck

Need a good ST beginners truck

Old 08-13-2007, 05:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Need a good ST beginners truck

Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to R/C and was looking into getting a durable but fast starter truck.

Basically I've looked through a lot of different companies and a lot of different cars (Evader, Stampede, Rustler, RC10T4, etc.) and thought it'd be a good idea to ask others who would knew and hopefully offer good advice for me. At first I looked at the Evader, I heard that it is very durable and pretty fast but I found that it didn't have a good number of replacement parts in case anything did break. It also seemed pretty outdated. I then looked into Traxxas Rustlers. They seemed to be the perfect car for me so I thought I would ask before I bought. When I asked in another forum a member told me that a RC10T4 would be a great car for me. I researched and found a lot of cases of early breakage I wouldn't want to deal with. So I've been looking around and saw the Stampede and as of now, It looks to be the best deal.

I'm mainly interested in jumps but something I could race later would also be nice. Mainly I'd want it to go around 30 to 45 so I wouldn't have to worry about to tough of handling. I don't want to spend over 200 dollars or so because like I said, this will be my first truck.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas for me please help me decide. I'd be open to getting a slower vehicle and adding a faster motor or anything of the sort. Also if I should of posted this in the noob forum or whatever you call it, I am sorry.

Thanks guys.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

If you want to race get a RC10 T4 or a Losi XXX-T. Any truck you go with is going to break, its part of the hobby.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:18 PM
Tech Rookie

I expect it to break but I've seen reports of it breaking in a week. Keep in mind, that I'd probably get a new truck when I am serious about racing. When I say racing, I mean on my street with friends/family and not on tracks.

Thanks for the idea's though.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:10 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

you need to look into how the breakage occurs with the T4.

I have had pretty much all the interations of the T4, and the main thing that breaks is front A-arms. Considering you are pretty much bashing, purchasing the RPM front bumper large version will go a big way to fixing the problem. Also, you could also go with GT2 A-arms setup. These are guarenteed not to break from what I understand. More flex to be sure, but when bashing as you will be doing, thats what you want.

At a minimum, don't go with the Factory Team truck. Graphite is more rigid and doesn't give in a hit.

Trucks by there nature with the long arms put more leverage on the point of joining where the A-arms meet the bulkhead. Usually I woudl find the break to happen there, especially with an alloy hingepin brace holding things together. But, it holds up better than without as you just end up snapping bulkheads then. When I ran indoors, i snapped like 4 bulkheads in 1 day till I put the alloy brace on.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Well for the flat out bashing end of things the Stampede would be awesome.... very durable and a reasonable speed out of the box. Probably the worst race truck out of what you listed but for racing with friends they can be made to work pretty well. Now I know this is a little out of your price range but would fit your needs perfectly.... that's the new VXL Rustler or Stampede. Can be made very fast with the right batteries and the lack of maintenance of brushless makes it awesome. But you could upgrade to that motor system at some time in the future also. The Stampedes are a lot of fun!

ps... you might get to 30 with the right gearing but to hit your 30-45 range you'll need a motor upgrade.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yeah, the velineon is about the only thing stock to take you to those speeds. Which you don't need being a newb. The faster they go, the more time you spend on the bench waiting/replacing parts. You don't know how fast they go anyways. They look fast cause they are small. Well, smaller than 1:1 vehicles. But Losi, AE is what you should look at if you have any intentions for racing. If you have a track you intend to visit now and then, go with the XXX-T or the T-4. These two will be with you for years and you will spend less in the end, years down the road.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I would recommend the Losi XXXT truck. Very goos truck for playing or racing. It's durable to.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by XXXCRRacer
I would recommend the Losi XXXT truck. Very goos truck for playing or racing. It's durable to.
+1

I bought a used MF2 on here and it's been really great. I'd never had a 2wd anything before and I immediately threw a 7700 Mamba in it and beat the crap out of it.

THEN...I took out the mamba and put in a 13.5 Novak and went racing. TOTAL parts breakage has been one rear motor guard, one t-plate and a cracked tranny case. (this happens when you pile-driver it onto the rear end from big jumps )

No broken arms, uprights, nothing...I haven't touched it since I got it...just swapped rear springs...and it's very competitive every week.

Two 1st, one 2nd in the last 3 weeks. I lend it out to my friends who can drive better than me...LOL
Old 08-14-2007, 04:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Ok, First off thanks for all the help and suggestions and as of now I have 4 cars in mind. Just for the sake of bring that down to 3 what would be better in my case: Traxxas Stampede or Rustler?
Old 08-14-2007, 04:42 PM
Tech Champion

I ran my MF-2 for 5 months. And sold it with the original arms on it. So yes a very strong truck indeed.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RaidJTC
Ok, First off thanks for all the help and suggestions and as of now I have 4 cars in mind. Just for the sake of bring that down to 3 what would be better in my case: Traxxas Stampede or Rustler?
The Stampede has a lot more ground clearance and is more "monster truck" in appearance...the Rustler looks more like a standard Stadium Truck (ala T4 & XXXT) in appearance.

For shear bashing, the new VXL Traxxas line and a 3 cell Lipo will do close, if not over 70 MPH....in a straight line, I wouldnt imagine trying to steer at those speeds.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:24 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RaidJTC
id say rustler , stampede is cool but its really tall , rustler will bet the stampede play racing , ray
Old 08-14-2007, 08:03 PM
Tech Champion

What about the Emaxx.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Isn't in my price range. Seems like a good truck though.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:45 PM

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

stampede is a great basher, i would never race it unless u put alittle $ into it and make it a bit more worthy but the titan motor in there is nice and fast for you to begging with and then grow with untill ur ready or a bl motor.

rustler is the same t hing as the pede but its lower to the ground, thats about it.

xxxt (mf1, mf2) great truck, i personally own a xxxt and i have raced it i did pretty well with not much racing experience, and it also withstands some pretty good bashing with those graphite front a arms i got on it.

t4, from what ive see is basically the same as the xxxt some say better at racing others say worse. idk feels alittle lighter, more like a race truck.
i personally like losi more then associated. but its a good truck also

those are the only trucks i would recogmend, since there the most popular, u will find the most support with them, the most parts, hop ups and i have also driven and owned every one of them, cept the t4, but my cousin has one and i drove it.

my xxxt might be fore sale to fund another project i wana do in a while if your interested

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.