200mm nitro touring car hot again!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

200mm nitro touring car hot again!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 06:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

if you digitalise it and send it over i can splice in some audi i'll c if i can my lhs mechanic/moder/racer to do an interveiw like an explination to the novice
Old 08-22-2007, 06:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bvoltz
Interesting... my first thought to why is.... "miking the cow" But I could be way off... Isn't it like the Taymia series?
I think that they patterned it after the TCS. The regional challenge races that I did attend, I had a blast. Loved the prizes and the family atmosphere that they promoted. And, it did not cost an arm and leg to enter (many of us enter 2 or more classes). The HPI Challenge did help to put HPI on the map as a major r/c manufacturer of user-friendly r/c cars for the beginning r/c enthusiast.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WARDO
.....The Southwest series started a "spec class" for 8th scale. It was to be a cheaper way to race. They use a motor that (I think ) cost $350. The problem with that is, now that the motor is cheaper, just means some can afford to buy 2 motors rather than just one.
Some people will just be able to spend more money than others.
The best thing you can do for someone new is give them a novice class,and let them run whatever they can afford to buy.
Wardo,

There are cheaper engines that could have been used in the "Spec Class" for the SWCS but weren't even considered due to reasons I will not get into in this post. Spec classes only work when the equipment chosen is fair to everyone and not to the benefit of a few (most behind the scenes). The idea of a novice "run what you brung" class was discussed but was shot down with the SWCS because it would not benefit certain folks. I have seen novice classes work at some venues and a few of those drivers graduate to the "regular" classes (have a kid in Dallas that did that and is now kicking butt whenever we run stock and 19 turn locally). But, the novice class will not work if race management's support of the class wains any.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jspeed
Wardo,

You’re just not getting it or you just don’t want to, which one is it?

You talk about a “spec” 8th scale class with motors that cost $300 dollars?

The whole RTR Kyosho Inferno GT costs less than $400 dollars. Do you think Mrs. Newbie is going to give Mr. Newbie “any” if he buys just an engine for $300 dollars and Mr. Newbie still has to buy everything else?

Just in case you don’t know anything about Kyosho’s Inferno GT here’s a factory video of the RTR vehicle that won’t embarrass you when Mrs. Newbie asks you how much Mr. Newbie’s or Lil Baby Newbie’s new toy car will costs.

http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/videos/...INFERNO_GT.wmv

Wardo, spec classes are cool, just take a look at the video link. If you can’t see what Mr. & Mrs. Newbie can see I’ll send you a new set of rose colored glasses, just kidding, lol.

I think this thread has changed direction towards those R/C manufacturers, distributors, enthusiasts shop owners and track/owner operators that actually want to see R/C racing grow.
No, I am getting it. I started racing 23 years ago. I have seen many up and down cycles in racing.And I can tell the new people do not want a watered down version of racing.
There are as many people that get out of racing, because they can't win, as there are due to money.
When new people see racing, they don't want the car that is slow. They want the one that, that fast guy winning has. Lets face it, when people that come to a race, see and then want to buy one, due so because they are impulse buyers. Every company out there has, at one time or another, had an "entry level"car.Most of them quit selling them because it was not what buyers were buying.
My point about the 8th scale spec class was not to say it is cheap, it was a way some thought they could control cost. In reailty, if I was to run that class, lets say, I could afford 700 dollar motors, in that class I would just buy 2, 350 dollar motors.
That why I say there is no such thing as budget racing. The very nature of those who race, would be driven to spend all they could afford, no matter the class is. When you tell that new guy that he can buy that $400 set up and go racing, don't forget to tell him that your track is probably the only place he can race it.
I have allways said there should only be two classes in racing
fun and serious.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I agree with the above statement. I always raced as cheap as possible but I would never make it past a C or B main. But I was fine with that because I raced with people of like skill. If people would just figure out from the start what there goal is in the hobby, it would be easy to establish spec and beginner classes.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Ok, it is up to you guys... Everyone post asking how to get ESPN to take a chance... Show Nitro 45min A-main on TV....

Let's let them know we are here and want to see it....

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/...contact/espntv
Old 08-22-2007, 10:38 PM
Tech Elite

Default Hot

That's funny, 23 years ago I was street racing real cars and scoring lots of hot chicks with my Heavy Metal band. I didn’t know that R/C racing even existed. The sad truth is that 23 years later the majority of society still doesn’t know R/C racing exists or why or even how it does.

You’re dealing with a sport and industry that is seldom seen and lives in the shadows of the “mainstream” world. When it does appear to the public it boasts hi-start up cost and no monetary pay-off.

That’s the image we need to change if we want out sport to be taken seriously and go “Mainstream”

I’ve spoken to hobby shops with tracks across the country and the majority of them welcome racing events centered around the Kyosho Inferno GT.

These shop owners with tracks know the truth, if they put the GT RTR box on a counter it will sell right away. So racing venues are not a problem, it’s just a matter of developing better grass roots club racing programs and proven marketing plans.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:35 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jspeed
That's funny, 23 years ago I was street racing real cars and scoring lots of hot chicks with my Heavy Metal band. I didn’t know that R/C racing even existed. The sad truth is that 23 years later the majority of society still doesn’t know R/C racing exists or why or even how it does.

You’re dealing with a sport and industry that is seldom seen and lives in the shadows of the “mainstream” world. When it does appear to the public it boasts hi-start up cost and no monetary pay-off.

That’s the image we need to change if we want out sport to be taken seriously and go “Mainstream”

I’ve spoken to hobby shops with tracks across the country and the majority of them welcome racing events centered around the Kyosho Inferno GT.

These shop owners with tracks know the truth, if they put the GT RTR box on a counter it will sell right away. So racing venues are not a problem, it’s just a matter of developing better grass roots club racing programs and proven marketing plans.
And that is my point.It is not the cost of getting into racing, it's that the people that would spend the money, don't know it's out there.
Here in San Antonio, we raced on a very busy K-Mart parking lot. We were getting close to 100 racers. The owner that was running the races decided, to move racing to a place where he could put up permanent track. With very few spectators, within afew weeks attendence was down. And now 20 racers is a good turnout.
And the shops here have the kyosho, most of the people that bought them, either never came to race them, or within weeks bought one of the higher end touring cars.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:53 AM
Tech Master

You want to get our racing on tv. You don't start by asking ESPN to cover it.
The only reason things like poker, painball, and the spelling bee,get air time, is because, COMPANIES WILL BY ADVERTISING TIME. You get Kyosho, Horizon, Ofna,ect.. to put up money for commercials, and thats when you get racing on tv.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

And that is my point.It is not the cost of getting into racing, it's that the people that would spend the money, don't know it's out there.
Here in San Antonio, we raced on a very busy K-Mart parking lot. We were getting close to 100 racers. The owner that was running the races decided, to move racing to a place where he could put up permanent track. With very few spectators, within afew weeks attendence was down. And now 20 racers is a good turnout.
And the shops here have the kyosho, most of the people that bought them, either never came to race them, or within weeks bought one of the higher end touring cars.
Here in Georgia we use to race on a parking lot track that was directly across from a go kart track and could be seen from the highway. We had people get off the exit ramp, turn around to come watch us. It was nothing to have 50 or more racers turn out for a club race. Then we moved the club to a permanent track that can't be seen from the road and just like you said attendance dropped dramatically. 20 racers is a GOOD turn out for us too.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:27 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by quietstorm76
Here in Georgia we use to race on a parking lot track that was directly across from a go kart track and could be seen from the highway. We had people get off the exit ramp, turn around to come watch us. It was nothing to have 50 or more racers turn out for a club race. Then we moved the club to a permanent track that can't be seen from the road and just like you said attendance dropped dramatically. 20 racers is a GOOD turn out for us too.
Both of those are interesting. I wonder what happened to the other drivers. Was the track moved far away from it's original location?
Old 08-23-2007, 05:39 AM

The only reason things like poker, painball, and the spelling bee,get air time, is because, COMPANIES WILL BY ADVERTISING TIME. You get Kyosho, Horizon, Ofna,ect.. to put up money for commercials, and thats when you get racing on tv.
on similar note, hobby shops and track owners need to work together for the benefit of the hobby. I've been to numerous shops without 1 single flyer/ad/banner promoting the tracks. Places like hobbypeople, which cater more toward the mainstream and nubee should put more effort into educating public about the local racing venues other than their own parking lot racing.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:51 AM
Tech Elite

Default Hot or Not?

Wardo,

It seems our views are not that far apart after all. The one thing that you still don’t want to accept is that in today’s ever uncertain economic climate is changing the monetary spending of consumers.

While we agree that the “hard-core” or sometimes “crack-head like” R/C racer buying habits are towards so called “Hi-End” racing products, “entry level” or “cost-conscious” racing needs to be addressed if the R/C industry ever wants to compete with the established & commercially accepted forms of recreational activities.

The “market-share” of the R/C racing industry is so small that corporate involvement from the “outside” world does not recognize our sport’s worth. Companies like: Coke, Pepsi or ATT won’t give us the time of day until we wake up and smell the roses. If you talk to corporation’s promotions department the first thing they want to know is how many people actually race R/C cars.

Since that information is not easily available or been typically kept under lock & key, how can that question be answered? Advertizing & sponsorship funds are awarded on a “cost-per-impression” basis and the possibility of activities growing from “under-ground” status.

The whole “cycle” argument that is all too often used as a “cop-out” instead of addressing the real issues that control consumer spending and participation.

In the “real business world” companies that wish to survive “climate” changes actually promote their products & services more to create or maintain what is known as “consumer buzz”.

While it’s true that every potential new R/C racer wants to start racing wants the fastest most advanced race car, it’s irresponsible to push a first-time buyer towards a product intended for an individual with advanced knowledge required to use and enjoy such an item.

The key for our sport is to offer racing activities for all economic & skill levels. What R/C racing is currently offering world wide is similar to telling everyone that wants to race “full size” cars that you can race only “Top-Fuel” or “F1” or “Nextel Cup” level races and if you don’t have “deep pockets” you don’t belong.

That mentality will never perpetuate the growth of the sport of R/C racing into the “mainstream” population's acceptance and desire to join in on the fun.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

You think that the R/C companies will do this??? I don't. Look only 2% (yes that is two percent) of the R/C people race. So that means 2 of 100 purchases of car (all types) go and race. So when you stop and think about number of cars they sell to R/C world, you soon figure out they do not have that much money either. Then let's add in the people that have screwed them, when they do support a racing program, they have sent product, then the nut ball that is running the race, sells the product rather then giving it way to the racers as agreed. I know this does not happen offten, but it only takes one time and the Mfg are nevous.

But if you get a lot of people asking for R/C programing on ESPN, ESPN has the money to take a chance and the connections to say give it a try with the bigger companies like Coke, ATT, Bud, etc.... If they did one race and aired it say 7 different times, they mite find the next programing for ESPN.

Or look at like this. If you do not try, you have all ready set your chances, they are ZERO....

I also can tell you, when I started the Bass Pro Series, a alot of people told me that what I wanted to do was "not possible", but I gave a try and guess what... It worked... Some times being new helps, you do not know that it is not possible...
Old 08-23-2007, 07:45 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Paul Wall
on similar note, hobby shops and track owners need to work together for the benefit of the hobby. I've been to numerous shops without 1 single flyer/ad/banner promoting the tracks. Places like hobbypeople, which cater more toward the mainstream and nubee should put more effort into educating public about the local racing venues other than their own parking lot racing.
I have taken this to the next step..... I agree, some LHS and tracks are not on the same page... So I have e-mailing list you can join and provide me with your cell number, and I send out weekly updates to the group... What is the next race, what time, location, someone needs help, etc.... This has gone over big...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.