Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
The Li-Po Low Down..... >

The Li-Po Low Down.....

The Li-Po Low Down.....

Old 08-14-2007, 05:11 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by linger
Perhaps Mr. Black was misinformed, but the Kokam formulation is definitely not the LIMN (Spinel) formulation.

Wow, soo much hate on this thread.
You are totally correct. The Orion / Kokam is not limn. The only one I am positive about being limn is the Apogee Magnum. It is the only one I have had. It is a good pack with out the volatility of lipo's.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RURC
I just figured out who this "TechWun" moron is. He has hounded me other places and he is unwilling to learn a thing from anyone. He is fully aware that I cannot divulge things and because he thinks he is a guru and should be allowed all things he cries and gets mad. He cant challenge on a knowledge he can only try to shot down segments.

I am over him and all his statements. I will not be responding to anything that he states because he is full of hate for anyone that has more than he. And from what I have heard that is almost everyone.

Good by Matt. You are black listed here also.
I don't know you from Adam. It can be assumed that statement works both ways. This is the first, and ONLY RC community I have signed onto. You are clearly out of your league and have no other options left other then to make up a story about me, attempt to discredit me, and call names like a little girl with a thesaurus.

You know nothing about me or what I have and do not have. Nor do you have any idea of my knowledge or education level. You just have nothing left to throw at me and all I did was ask simple questions. I raised my bullshit flag, and it's flying high. Until you manage to shoot it down with some facts, it'll be outside your window forever.

I am 100% open to technical and legitimate discussion of all things technology here. I learn new things every day because I seek the knowledge. I can accept it, you just can't offer it. Until you can talk to me like an adult, I don't mind one bit being on your ignore list.

Later hater..

- Matt
Old 08-14-2007, 07:34 PM
Tech Master

You are totally correct. The Orion / Kokam is not limn. The only one I am positive about being limn is the Apogee Magnum. It is the only one I have had. It is a good pack with out the volatility of lipo's.
So I quess it is not hard to fiqure who you work for now and the reasons you posted what you posted!

I stick with my volatile li-po, it is worth the risk!
Old 08-15-2007, 01:54 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Craps
So I quess it is not hard to fiqure who you work for now and the reasons you posted what you posted!

I stick with my volatile li-po, it is worth the risk!
No. As a matter of fact Apogee is one of the companies I have done no paid work for. I know Bill and was intrigued when he mentioned them to me. I was interested in their limn battery so I bought 3 of them. The chemistry behind them, not to mention their testing, shows them not to catch fire like the lipo can. Have you read any of my previous posts where I say that I run only lipo and I love lipo and that I think that lipo will be the saving grace of this sport? It appears that you are reading too much into what I am saying. I fully agree that the lipo is 'worth the risk' as you so properly put it.

Was I wrong in my post on Apogee being the only limn out? I may be. But I did not bring up the limn. I simply agreed and confirmed with the gentleman's statement. That is all.

I really fail to see why the animosity from you. The end point here is that we agree that both nixx and lipo batteries can be dangerous. We just disagree about which is more than the other. In either case I think we can both agree that both need to be safe and we, as users, need to do our due diligence to use caution with both. I charge my batteries in a 'bomb box' just to be extra careful. And I am careful and use what I consider the best equipment to charge and monitor them with as I am sure you do also. These things are not cheap and for that matter as well as safety proper care I think is a must.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:40 AM
Tech Master

Agreed, but I don't see the need for the bomb box! Just be careful with any battery and do not charge unattended that includes Nickel, Li-po and Li-mn!
Old 08-15-2007, 04:34 AM
Tech Adept

Agreed, but I don't see the need for the bomb box! Just be careful with any battery and do not charge unattended that includes Nickel, Li-po and Li-mn!
Just to ask, but have you ever seen in person one of these battery packs go off? I have many times and it always impresses me. I personally know people that have burned places up. One guy burned his shop / shed behind his house down. Another man set his garage on fire and almost the whole house. These things dont just go out. They create their own atmosphere and are very difficult to stop.

I call it a 'bomb box' it is really just a modded military ammo box. I have many cells that are 10,000 mah and greater. When they go anything around them will go also. But like you say 'caution' is the best on this. I do see the need for something because once it goes you dont just go and grab it and throw it outside. That goes for any of the batteries.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:35 PM
Tech Master

Just got in from a day of practice at the ROAR Gas Truck Nats and witnessed today a nickel battery r/x pack sizzle and smoke because the wiring to the switch got shorted out. Scary!!!
Old 08-15-2007, 05:41 PM
Tech Adept

Just got in from a day of practice at the ROAR Gas Truck Nats and witnessed today a nickel battery r/x pack sizzle and smoke because the wiring to the switch got shorted out. Scary!!!
last week I had a pack all but explode in the first warm up lap. smoke was coming out of the car and it melted 3 cells in the pack. I thought for sure it was going to do more, luckily it didnt.

first time that has happened that I had seen, in my own or any others around me. bought a 2nd lipo right after that.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:28 PM
Tech Legend

Couple year`s ago I had a Nk-Ml pack blow all my hair clean off....

I hate those battery`s now ....

Last edited by Wild Cherry; 03-31-2008 at 10:11 PM.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

I have seen it 2 times. One time was intentional by me. The other was after a mi2 was t-boned by a nitro on road car in a parking lot. It took about 15 seconds for it to happen. You could smell it before it went.
When was this and what happened to the Mi2? Was it the 3200 or 4800 Orion? Was it an explosion or fire?

It's my understanding that the fire from Kokam batteries is supposed to be relatively small due to their chemistry. I try to keep up on LiPo and I have to say that's the first story I've heard of an Orion LiPo going up.

I do think it's important, when referring to stories where guys nearly burn their house down, to identify the brand and or quality of the battery if possible.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (79%+)

so im ready to go lipo .... i bought my charger( pulsar) and today im going to my LHS and getting 2 orion 3200 race specs or 4800 what ever they have two of. I have a few questions for everyone. How often do you have to ballence the orion lipos? also what do i ballence them with? and my last ? is i have 2 LRP brushless speed controls one is the old software and the other is the 07 software do they have lipo shutoff so you dont run then to far down? thanks
Old 08-18-2007, 08:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I Judge most things from experience, and try to research a bit for backup confidence. I own both Li-Po and Ni-Mh batteries, and believe both have their place in our hobby.

I've been involved in Rc Racing for a long time, and have never witnessed a Ni-Cad, our Ni-Mh, go off with out good cause. Only once have I actualy witnessed a battery explode, 2003 Roar Carpet on-road Nats. It was in a crowded pit area and no one was injured, just dumb luck I guess. Most times they just vent and you send them to a safe place.

Li-Po batteries on the other hand, are in my "opinion" far more volatile. I have seen them puff, and burn for seemingly no good reason. One Orion pack went up just this past weekend, on the track in the buggy for no apparent reason. The hard case saved the buggy, as it contained the process long enough to remove it from the car. You can find hundreds of accounts of Li-Po fires, and yes most are probably user induced.

Being a Track Owner one of my first responsibilities is the customer. So my rules are simple when it comes to batteries. Outside off-road where people are generaly charging in their own vehicle, anything goes. If something goes wrong there is plenty of room and air for people to step back and go oooh - ahhh. However when we migrate back indoors for the Winter season, the Li-Po's stay home. The reasons in my opinion are obvious, and that little used thing called common sense prevails.