Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
5 Cells, the time is now!!  Or atleast by 2008 >

5 Cells, the time is now!! Or atleast by 2008

5 Cells, the time is now!! Or atleast by 2008

Old 08-06-2007, 03:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Remember when formula 1 was going too fast so they narrowed the width of the cars and made them run grooved slicks to reduce the amount of grip?

Going to 5 cells is pretty minor compared to that!
Old 08-06-2007, 03:26 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Kinson
That's why we have a novice class here at our local track.
Not every track has a Novice class.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:32 PM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kinson
That's why we have a novice class here at our local track.
True, but I am sure, that out there like here, you have some guys running stock that have been dominating it for like 8 years, but won't move up. Those guys come out of novice, and have to hope to do well..that's depressing and some might quit over it..
Old 08-06-2007, 03:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcdude19641
Dont you think people will want more than one pack? What if you are running two classes with two cars? Your gonna need more than one pack. I know alot of people would but more than one, myself included. And what about the people who dont have ICEs. I dont see THAT many at all, I see mostly LRPs and in the TC scene alot of Much Mores.
sorry, one per class. I actually use one battery for my daughter and me. She runs novice and I run Mod truck. She can run her heat then I run mine then put it on the charger until next round.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

BL + Lipo is causing a resurgence in electric offroad and that's not due to help from sanctioning bodies, sponsored/factory guys, and the majority of RC companies. Actually, it's happening despite the fact that a lot of the aforementioned entities are fighting tooth and nail to keep the technology out of racing. What should be happening is that the powers that be need to look at what is happening at the club level and integrate that into the regional and national level. This thread is completely ass backwards in that respect. If lots of people were already switching to 5 cell, that would be one thing. However, I call shenanigans when people are trying to force it on others in order to "protect us from ourselves" while at the same time bashing technology many people are already using that solves all the problems that 5 cell will supposedly fix, which it won't as long as we have to keep buying NIMH cells. If I wasn't such an electric junkie, I would have already switched to nitro because of BS like this. I'm really getting sick of it.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I totally agree. Its helping electric touring my area as well. Several who are tired of tuning nitro motors are looking at going electrics as well because of BL and LiPo.

Originally Posted by Leodis
BL + Lipo is causing a resurgence in electric offroad and that's not due to help from sanctioning bodies, sponsored/factory guys, and the majority of RC companies. Actually, it's happening despite the fact that a lot of the aforementioned entities are fighting tooth and nail to keep the technology out of racing. What should be happening is that the powers that be need to look at what is happening at the club level and integrate that into the regional and national level. This thread is completely ass backwards in that respect. If lots of people were already switching to 5 cell, that would be one thing. However, I call shenanigans when people are trying to force it on others in order to "protect us from ourselves" while at the same time bashing technology many people are already using that solves all the problems that 5 cell will supposedly fix, which it won't as long as we have to keep buying NIMH cells. If I wasn't such an electric junkie, I would have already switched to nitro because of BS like this. I'm really getting sick of it.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

We have a 19turn truck class this year that we are allowing brushless and LiPo. There is every combination in that class , Lipo Brushed, Nimh Brushed, Lipo Brushless and Nimh brushless running in that class. 17 entries yesterday, biggest class at our track. Electric is returning on the back of the new technology.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:52 PM
Tech Regular

I really don't even think that 5 cell slows the top speed of the cars down. I think it more just affects like throttle points/bottom end punch.
Someone already brought this up..but to point it out again. Mike Truhe Tqed mod truck at the Nats this year on 5 cells and a brushless system you can buy from novak. It wasn't some voodoo-team-driver-only power.
Any change like this is always resisted. Some F1 teams were about ready to kill the fia when they announced they would no longer be running 10 cylinders. Turns out..did it really change overall results? Ferrari, Maclaren, BMW were all still fast, and it might have actually helped Renault, Toyota and RBR.

I don't mind the idea, I understand the lipo argument too. Regardless I think Frank is on to something...he's just trying to help everyone.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

5 cell is perfect because you want to scrub down speed? Not the answer. If you want to control the power then you need to have a way of rating motors for their power output at a given level. The esc should only put out the power rating. Does not matter what your batteries do. If you go to 5 cell then you will start a battery war. It is what we had before when batteries were a problem. If you had a only a set amount of power then you could gear for top end or grunt from the corner. Heat should not be a limitiing point. Let the ESC limit the power to the motor. IF Roar worked with the manufacturers I bet it could be done. Do not put another limit on a car.

Wear on the cars ? That will happen no matter what. If the cars are designed well they will hold up to what they are designed. This means that we need 1/10th beefed up like an 8th. The guys that maintain their equipment and spend money will have an advantage.

Nitro is big because there are less limits. All of the cars can go faster than anyone can put down on the track. So the limiting factor is the driver and keeping within the limits of his car. I can get a RTR and compete with the better guys at the local track if I can drive within limits.

You want it only left to the driver. You need a vehicle that is cloned and set up the same or you need more power than anyone can put down and new tires. At that time it is who can control the cars the best. Anything in between is a combination of driver and equipment. That is called racing.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If governing bodies and industry influencers are interested in the future.

LiPo and Brushless. Why?

Durability, Durability, Durability. I have more fun today running Lipo and brushless than ever before. Why? little or no maintenance when compared to brushless and Nimh packs. If speed is and issue for a stock class mandate a specific turn motor. Ie 15.5 or 16.5 brushless.

The thing that will bring electric back to life is longer mains such as 10 minutes, lipo and brushless.

Also currently lipo and brushless bring it back to the drivers hands. not a "tuned motor" not a "fresh" pack it seems to be more equal. If it is approached correctly electric can be brought back to life if it is in deed "Dead" like my Nimh packs are

Last edited by sjenkins97; 08-06-2007 at 04:05 PM. Reason: more info
Old 08-06-2007, 04:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Truhe's 5 cells have more voltage than any of my 6 cell packs
Old 08-06-2007, 04:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Here's my 2cents

Going to 5 cells across the board will only slow spec classes (e.g. stock and 19t) where you would be unable to drop a wind or 2 to cover for the lower voltage. Many keep saying you simply gear up to gain that speed back, but that is besides the point. You are lowering the total power output of the motor by lowering the voltage.

From what has been said so far, it seems the main reasons for 5 cells are:
lower cost per pack
lighter weight (which translates into less wear on any car in any class)
less power (which translates into less wear on spec classes only)

Wouldn't lipo be similar?
cost per pack isn't lower, per say. But total cost is over as little as 1 year
Lipo is lighter (which also translates into less wear on any car in any class)
Old 08-06-2007, 04:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Josh H
I've tried the 5 cell thing......................its perfect

I had my friends try it........................they all love it

I agree 100% with Franks original post..........that is the way to go
I have tried 5-cell in both off-road and TC and find it to be an excellent tuning option. And I applaud ROAR for reducing the minimum weight (by the weight of one cell) at the TC Nats.

But it should be an option. Thos that are using 5-cell are doing so becasue they think it is faster. There is no need to penalize those that want to use 6-cell by outlawing it.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:39 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by chrlie sidebite
Truhe's 5 cells have more voltage than any of my 6 cell packs
Truhe's packs were "Team" and "Factory" level packs from Slingshot Batteries.... These are packs anyone can buy.............

By the way, great topic Root....
Old 08-06-2007, 04:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.