Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JLaps vs. RC Scoring Pro vs. Allycat

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 02:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I have used alleycat, and it's pretty good for what it is, especially at that price point.

RC Scoring Pro- Doug is the man, that is all. Buy it.

Jlap- I have been to enough races where Jlap blew up to recommend steering clear. It's fun to watch ROAR officials hand sort the mains until the wee hours of the night, though...
Old 07-31-2007, 02:37 PM
Tech Champion

Yeah Ed the red one is the one our club is using. I really like the fact that it is USB. USB is so much more prominant these days in the computer industry there is no good reason I can think of why someone would still make a device that supports RS232 serial and not USB. The RJ45 connection idea on the new one is cool...I like that. But it also means you need 1 more piece of hardware on the table...a hub. I suppose you could use a cross over cable instead but non-technical people often get confused by that.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Good suggestions for AS...have you posted them on their suggestions forums?
I had emailed Bill Wishon about 2 years ago (roughly) and have never seen anything to address or updates those issues.

For the resort issue - I just QUIT doing the computer screen resort and use the printed copy of the MAIN printout to call the starting grid (no biggie once I figured it out...after 1/2 dozen races with CRASH right at the beginning of the MAINS and having to REBOOT..and forgetting to reset the PRINTER...again and waiting 100's of sheets of paper)

I keep a little note by my computer on race day NOW - so it acts as a reminder when EVER I have to close the program.

There are a couple RACE format issues I'd like to have added as well. This past weekend we did a SPECIAL EVENT at the ENCINO VELODROME where I ran 20 car MAIN events.

The event included single car 4 lap qualifying for the first 13 positions - plus 7 cars were to transfer in from a "Last Chance Qualifying" race, then the actual mains were broken into 2 segments. The first was a 20 lap deal, and the second was a 30 lap deal.

TRY Building THAT into your scoring program - it was a challenge to bring it together w/o ruining the flow of the race day event that included other regular classes and formats.

btw: This was our SWTour Oval Series **Allstar Shootout** and a BIG Congrats go out to EVERYONE who made this event absolutely AWESOME..and to ERIC BRUST of Bakersfield for taking the big WIN - WINNING over $2000.00 in CASH and PRIZES ($400.00 was in CASH)
Old 07-31-2007, 03:07 PM
Tech Champion

If you haven't updated to the latest release of the version you are running I would highly reccomend doing that. The newer releases are much more stable then the older ones. When I was still using an early 9.0 release in Lite mode I had many crashes as well. That's why it took me several months to evaluate the product before I gave our LHS the go ahead to buy the software. Subsequent releases became more and more stable so I was satisfied enough to purchase it.

For your suggestions though I would still say post them on their forums. They are very responsive on the forums and other people can weigh in their opinions of your idea as well.

How'd you manage to run 20 car mains with AS? The max it supports per class is 10.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:13 PM
Tech Champion

As for printing...I went into the preferences and turned off a lot of the printing options. So now mine only prints the final finishing order and the lap analysis for every heat. That cut down my paper consumption a lot. I've also been toying with the idea of printing to a file. Windows XP Pro comes with a "Microsoft Office Document Image Writer" installed as a printer by default. Printing to that instead of a printer generates an image file of the print out much like Print To PDF does if you have Adobe Acrobat installed.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
But it also means you need 1 more piece of hardware on the table...a hub. I suppose you could use a cross over cable instead but non-technical people often get confused by that.
You don't need a hub. It comes with a crossover cable and a serial cable (I made a shorter one just cause I don't like the clutter) The "rc" came with a serial cable, but no USB.
Attached Thumbnails JLaps vs. RC Scoring Pro vs. Allycat-rc3.jpg  
Old 07-31-2007, 03:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
How'd you manage to run 20 car mains with AS? The max it supports per class is 10.

My version of AS supports 20 car heats and mains. And yes there has been a lot of updates over the last two years. I think the latest version is 07.06.18
Old 07-31-2007, 04:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have the latest version of the 20 car upgrade (I was actually working with RCSCORING PRO a couple years ago to get it done in 20 car, but I had a time deadline for an upcoming event, and Doug was busy trying to get a couple program bugs worked out for 2 of 'The Big Races' so our timing never worked out...and I was forced to go w/ the AUTOSCORE upgrade to get our race done)

It was not in my personal budget to purchase both..because I do this series I do on the thinnest of SHOE STRINGS as it is.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:19 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

To re-cap - RC Scoring PRO is the clear choice from the comments I am seeing here. 2 questions then...

Anyone know of any bad experiences with RCSP?

What are the major differences between the National version and the Pro Version?
Old 08-03-2007, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Anyone who asks has never ran races with RCscoring pro. All the big races in the U.S use .... oh yeah rc scoring pro.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:19 AM
Tech Elite

Thats just the problem for us.
With the dollar so strong its not practical for our local club to fork out the money for the software let alone a up to date AMB system.
$600 would work out to almost x8 just on the currency exchange and transfer charges.
Thats like us guys paying almost $5000 for software.

For what Laps Free does its a bargain and we dont have any issues with it.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CaliberX
To re-cap - RC Scoring PRO is the clear choice from the comments I am seeing here. 2 questions then...

Anyone know of any bad experiences with RCSP?

What are the major differences between the National version and the Pro Version?
Local track had customer support issues with RCSP so they switched to Jlap. Only issue Ive heard but my understanding was that it was a pretty bad experience. Enough that after many many years of using RCSP they switched.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
Local track had customer support issues with RCSP so they switched to Jlap. Only issue Ive heard but my understanding was that it was a pretty bad experience. Enough that after many many years of using RCSP they switched.
Wow. I've worked with Doug at The U.S. Indoor Champs, and the software was AWESOME. We had an issue while I was announcing at Pro Series race out east (turned out we had a bad cable), and we were forced to call Doug at around 8 AM EST. He had the problem diagnosed in a few minutes, and we were on our way.

I've been involved with some races using JLap, and let's just say my experience wasn't as Positive as it was with Doug/RCSP.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

They wanted to stay with RCSP. I guess things turned sour when they tried to move the software to another PC and upgrade it.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
This I doubt. I know Doug personally and can say that he gives everyone the same level of profesionalisim with tech support. I know for a fact that the clubs/tracks out there that have had tech support issues have been for good reasons. They didn't own the right to use RCSP (RCSP ULA is non-transferable) or the person behind the computer was completly computer illeterate and they caused their own hardware problems. I've even heard some of the totaly bone headed crap that Doug has had calls on and all I can say is the guy has a lot of patience. Plus the fact that RCSP has been around for I think 4 years I would doubt there are many tracks that have been using RCSP for "many many years". I know this as I'm one of his longest sanding users.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.