Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Battery help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 03:43 AM
Tech Master

Default Battery help!

I was charging my Intellect3800 Nimh at 5amps and during the middle of the charge, I heard a "fizzle" sound from the battery! I quickly pulled the batt out and inspected the cells. No visible damage and no smell was detected. The temp of the batt at that time was about 40C. Did I ruin the batt or can I keep using it? Pls help. thanks!
Old 07-29-2007, 03:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

What you heard was a cell venting. yes you can still use you pack the way it is. A fellow racer has noticed that some of his 3800ib's after some of the cells vented they actully produced more power. Well I can't say if he was right or wrong. I do have on of his old packs still going strong.

you might lose a bit of run time (minicule amout) and voltage. but you should be fine. 40c you should be fine. i beleive the temp cut off should be aroung 42 or 47 can't remember as I don't temp my cells anymore(why I'm using old cells and i'm puching them till the end of the season. I hope this helps
Old 07-29-2007, 06:29 AM
Tech Adept

a small amount of venting is normal. No problem. Just make sure you are equalizing the cells on a tray before you beging charging. This will help the cells build charge toagther at the same rate and keep cells from being over charged.

good luck

Travis