buggy or truck?

Old 07-29-2007, 03:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default buggy or truck?

i cant figure out if i want to race 4ed buggy the b44 or get the new xxxt cr for the trucks. Everyone around here is running brushless motors in both setups. But wich one will be more fun i run nitro 10th and 8th scale stuff love the 10th scale xxnt i have.. You guys think the b44 will be tough and not break as easy as the past 4wd? or will the truck just be stronger period? thanks and let me know
Old 07-29-2007, 08:54 AM
Tech Master

trucks will allways be tougher than 4wd , but trucks dont have the "HOLY CRAP" feeling when you drive em , im getting a B44 , but remember its all plastic , ray
Old 07-29-2007, 10:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

If you just starting to race I would recommend a truck. They will be easier to drive than the AE 4 wheel. 4 wheels are fast but they break real easy.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:59 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

The main perception that 4wd vehicles are not durable comes from the fact that by default, the class ran is mod, and with all the extra traction and speed you can attain with a 4wd buggy plus the added weight, when a crash occurs, you have alot more to break. Newer designs of 4wd buggies are proving to be alot more durable.

I would say look at the turn out for both classes, and get a chance to wheel some 4wd buggies and see what you think.

I would probably go with the 4wd buggy since it something different.

Main thing however, make sure you track conditions in general allow for it work well.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

also look at the ease of keeping it running. i run nitro 1/8th scale too and keep an electric truck around just on those days i dont want to keep wrenching all day (where i run the electric at tough is clay so it really doesnt get too dirty) fun factor i would say 4 wd but costs and parts might get more expensive. also as previously stated see how many run/race each. might get lonely out there if you are the only one showing up in that class.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

well i did some checking on the classes. 2wd mod truck in the winter pull around 10 and so does the 4wd mod buggy. They said the only diffrence is that when they have the winter blast there will be more trucks then 4wd mod buggy but theres still a big class of 4wd atleast 10 every weekend. Now iv also did some lookin around and it sounds like the yokomo mr4bx, associated b44,and the bj4 are the cars to have in 4wd. Does anyone know much about these cars? im leaning towards the yokomo but i want to make sure its a good car. thanks guys
Old 07-30-2007, 05:51 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I find it alittle funny that people are saying the b44 is a buggy to have but no one has driven it yet. And since the d4 is a clone of the bj4we in a way, that should get as much clout as the b44 right now.

Of all the 4wd race level buggies out there, the only one I wouldn't consider would be the XXX-4 for my own personal preference. But pretty much all the race vehicles, from the BJ4s to the X-5, Academy, Yok and Tamiya will get the job done and are competitive against each other. Kyosho too!

The think about the Yokomo and other belt style ones is to find out from those who own them how well the rear diff is holding up since the drivetrain is open there from what I understand.

Having driven the Academy SB V2 Pro, its one heck of a vehicle for the money. Same can be said of the Kyosho, you get alot of buggy for the money.

I would see what is stocked at your LHS, if that however is not important to you, write down the things you look for in a 4wd vehicle. Do you believe a belt drivetrain is the way to go? Do you feel saddle packs are needed versus using a side x side setup? Also consider how easy it is to get setup advice local and online too.