Wiki Posts
Search

MAGNESIUM HEAD SINK

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 04:16 AM
Tech Adept

Default MAGNESIUM HEAD SINK

Hi,

What is the difference from magnesium head sink and standart(Alumium). Is the advantage only the low weight or is Magnesium better on heat transfer than the standart ones?

thnx
Old 07-24-2007, 12:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Magnesium
Lighter than Aluminum
Doesnt cool as well as Aluminum
Costs twice as much as Alum
Old 07-24-2007, 12:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by German Muscle
Magnesium
Lighter than Aluminum
Doesnt cool as well as Aluminum
Costs twice as much as Alum
and depending on the maker, tough to tune...
Old 07-24-2007, 04:53 PM
Tech Master

here is a emissivity chart for different materials . As GM said alum is a better than magnesium as a heat sink .

http://www.omega.com/literature/tran...issivitya.html

The best one i could fing was Platinum which was interesting and Dull Wrought Iron was pretty good too . Apparently Green Aluminium was best according to the chart
Old 07-25-2007, 01:05 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MassiveMods
here is a emissivity chart for different materials . As GM said alum is a better than magnesium as a heat sink .

http://www.omega.com/literature/tran...issivitya.html

The best one i could fing was Platinum which was interesting and Dull Wrought Iron was pretty good too . Apparently Green Aluminium was best according to the chart
Nice chart! What do you think? Is this only marketing. At the moment produce some manufuctures the head sinks in magnesium. Ninja, os, Rb....
Old 07-25-2007, 01:53 AM
Tech Addict

save your money and get a alum head engine and have it modded for the same or less money except the C6T7, those are the same thing as C6BBs cept with a mag head and case changes.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:32 AM
Tech Addict

Yeah, I reckon magnesium = trouble! My MRT ran like a piece of junk... going to try the standard ninja head on it..and hopefully it goes better..
Old 07-26-2007, 10:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

agreed, I'm not seeing many team drivers use the mag heads from MRT or RB in the recent photos.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:44 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi

I am a team driver for Mugen and Ninja in the UK and have run the new MRT engines for the last 2 months and found the following:

1) Version 1 batch number: 0017921. Piston and liner run in similar to the standard engines. It was very tight to start with but then after 1.5 hours it was OK. We found that when leaned on the top end needle, the bottom end would run on into corners. To prevent this we richen the bottom end up to prevent it sounding lean. The needle is a 1.82mm out of the linkage bezzel. On the bench it smokes a lot and feels slow to pick up, but once on the track and up to temperature it feels OK. The temperature on track is about 120-130deg C. I am using Runner Time fuel.

2) Version 2 batch number: T-001086 02. Piston and liner very tight and still needs more time after 3 hours and run temp of 130 deg C. When leaned out at top it runs high when you throttle off into corners but a quick blip in the pits will allow it to idle as per normal.

I then tried changing the head on this engine from magnesium to aluminium and it was now not running high into corners. I feel that this is not a true reflection on this engine since it is still running in!

With version 1, I am impressed with the increase in bottom end power and I can easily do 5 minutes with the fast link pipe and small manifold.

I would like to know if Mike Swauger is experiencing such problems and what the the solution is, if any.

Cheers

Andrew North