Wiki Posts
Search

How to clean the steering wheel bearing on M11

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 06:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (98%+)
Default How to clean the steering wheel bearing on M11

Hi, Does anyone know how to clean te steering wheel bearing on the M11? The M11 has a open bearing so if running offroad, some little dirt may get into it making the steering wheel a little scratchy.

Thanks
Old 07-20-2007, 10:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I have never tried, but I did send my M11 in to Airtronics to get cleaned as that is what they recommended when my wheel started sticking. I recommend asking if you can send it to them with a good rubber sealed bearing to replace the open one.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i run my m8 for 4 years in off road, never cleaned still smooth.

take off the steering wheel, u can see dirt, but doesnt effect operation at all
Old 07-21-2007, 12:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (98%+)

all it takes is some little dirt. Just look thru your steering wheels, you can see the ball on the bearing. while you are at the pit and someone start his car and running on his starter box and dirt starts to fly. It should not be too hard if I can remove the bearing. Just some nitroblast and few drops of bearing oil will do.

Don't know why they don't put a sealed bearing there.

Well, I guess I will take it to them. Now that Hobby people is servicing the Airtronics, Don't know how long it will take. The Airtronics tech is now working at Hobby people to service airtronics stuff. Used to be a 15 mins while you wait job at Airtronics. Good thing I am local.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:33 PM
Tech Master

I used my M8 for offroad from when they first came out until this Dec & it never got gritty & I still don't have a radio case.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Bumping this. Has anyone taken their own radio apart to get the bearing out??
Old 04-28-2009, 06:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

What I do is pull the wheel off and then brush out the bearing then I put on a small amount of bearing oil and now it works flawlessly.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:45 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)
Cool

I have the same problem.. Blew it out with air then lubed it some. But still feels scetchy.... also check the return spring adj. but I remember to make more spring action you have to turn the adjuster out (* Loosen) to get more return. I hope you get it worked out, mine is still not 100%
Old 04-28-2009, 08:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (99%+)

For whatever reason the M11 is much more suscpetible to dirt in the bearing than the M8 was. I ran an M8 for many years with never a problem Never had a bag for it. My brand new M11 had a problem in under a year with dirt in the bearing and I always had it in a bag if not using it.

To do it right you really need to disassemble the radio to the point where you can get the bearing out. Then clean it and lube it. As mentioned you might want to find a sealed bearing of the same size. I personally haven't taken mine apart but a friend did his and he said it was a long tedious process to get to a point where he could take the bearing out. After he cleaned it was perfect again.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RobbieS
I personally haven't taken mine apart but a friend did his and he said it was a long tedious process to get to a point where he could take the bearing out. After he cleaned it was perfect again.
Ah crap. I cant believe no one on here has had one apart. I was looking for a DIY on it
Old 04-28-2009, 09:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (99%+)

Originally Posted by rallyebmx
Ah crap. I cant believe no one on here has had one apart. I was looking for a DIY on it
Sorry. Since mine was under warranty I just sent it to Airtronics to have them fix it rather than do it myself.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rallyebmx
Bumping this. Has anyone taken their own radio apart to get the bearing out??
I now run a DX3r, But I had an M11 for 2 years. YES, I had same problem. Yes I took mine apart. No problem, just take off the wheel, hold it upside down, spray it out w/motor spray, lots of crap came out, blew it out w/ air gun, applyed a lot off bearing oil, blew it out some more, re peated till it was like new. Mine used to stick(not going back to center. Don't be scared just clean that sucker out and re oil it. Worked for me
Old 04-29-2009, 06:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just made a how-to guide for fixing a particular problem on the M11. It's not specific to the bearing, but the guide shows how to disassemble the wheel.

http://www.texasrc.net/Sanwa-Airtron...ion-Repair.pdf
Old 04-29-2009, 10:47 AM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by markr04
I just made a how-to guide for fixing a particular problem on the M11. It's not specific to the bearing, but the guide shows how to disassemble the wheel.

I could be wrong, but from the looks of it, your radio actually has a bearing with a seal on the exposed side. Looks like Airtronics has finally figured out that these radios do get dirty at the track
Old 04-29-2009, 11:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by markr04

Thanks. This is what I was looking for

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.