BMI's DB12R

Old 02-04-2010, 08:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Originally Posted by 20 SMOKE
I stoped by the shop and seen the new car,the car looks great can't wait to get one
I wish I could stop by and see the new car.... ROAD TRIP!
Old 02-04-2010, 11:16 AM

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

So Jason, if you wanted to be more bold in your new car... do some adjustible ride height that doesnt require shims, like this:

Thats an oval car from MC/RC, but they have adjustible front and rear suspension that requires no inserts. Just a screw driver. Pretty hot stuff, if it can be done light enough and sturdy enough.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I would think that it would be too easy to bind up the rear axle with that design. You'd need a very good set of calipers to make sure that both sides were EXACTLY the same height.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:57 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Clegg
So Jason, if you wanted to be more bold in your new car... do some adjustible ride height that doesnt require shims, like this:

Thats an oval car from MC/RC, but they have adjustible front and rear suspension that requires no inserts. Just a screw driver. Pretty hot stuff, if it can be done light enough and sturdy enough.
That is simply awesome! Thanks for cutting that idea out of your posts on '1/12 forum' and furthering it over here. Go Team BMI!

For the club racer especially, putting the concept in play for 1/12th On-Road just speaks for itself. Setup maintenance for dummies. Ride Height Gauge, wrench, 2 sets of tires in your pit box and the perfect ride height every time you hit the track. Quick, Easy, Precise - enough said.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Serzoni
I would think that it would be too easy to bind up the rear axle with that design. You'd need a very good set of calipers to make sure that both sides were EXACTLY the same height.
True, but isnt that the case with so much on these 1/12ths... I know I use my calipers for most adjustments I make on these cars. Also keep in mind that the plastic spacers have some variance in them also.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:09 PM
Tech Master

Please don't try something like that. Like someone else said already, it will be too difficult to get perfect ride height left and right and who know, maybe the screw will get loose or something cause of vibrations and during driving one side will go down? Just stay with the IRS ride height adjusters. It is KISS so good for our application.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:11 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Serzoni
you're presuming that the current rideheight adjusters that we use now are super accurate... well maybe they are... besides, who doesn't own a set of calipers , if you've been racing onroad for almost any perior of time you most likely have some??
E
Old 02-04-2010, 12:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by chris moore
I wish I could stop by and see the new car.... ROAD TRIP!
When you next trip to Tucson?
E
Old 02-04-2010, 12:12 PM
Tech Champion

That's why I don't use plastic spacers I use the BMI machined aluminum spacers
Old 02-04-2010, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by 2wdrive
Please don't try something like that. Like someone else said already, it will be too difficult to get perfect ride height left and right and who know, maybe the screw will get loose or something cause of vibrations and during driving one side will go down? Just stay with the IRS ride height adjusters. It is KISS so good for our application.
I do agree that the rears arent a real big deal to put inserts in. Its the fronts that suck. Its Quite labor intensive and random to get front ride height correct and something that is not quick to do. The rear is essentially one set screw you need to undo, to put in shims.

I dont think the challenge for perfect ride height is that hard with the screw based setup in the Apex car. Remember that Oval racers are all about chassis setup... they focus on that FAR more than road racers (as is evident by the endless setup possibilities on those chassis, and the out of the box thinking these guys come up with). If this level of detail is functional for oval guys, I assume roadies can handle it also.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Tech Master

Inspecta, i gueas you mean you use the aluminium ride height spacers at the front ?

Just wondering as I could not find aluminium ride height spacers for the rear axle on the BMI site.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:33 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by 2wdrive
Inspecta, i gueas you mean you use the aluminium ride height spacers at the front ?

Just wondering as I could not find aluminium ride height spacers for the rear axle on the BMI site.
Yup for the front
Old 02-04-2010, 12:37 PM
Tech Champion

I do agree that the rears arent a real big deal to put inserts in. Its the fronts that suck. Its Quite labor intensive and random to get front ride height correct and something that is not quick to do. The rear is essentially one set screw you need to undo, to put in shims.
I used to have a spreadsheet with 2 simple equations in it, one for the front and one for the rear. All I had to do was input the current tire diameter and it would output the sized ride height adapter I needed. It worked pretty good and would usually get me to with in .5mm of what I needed so it really cut out a lot of the guess work. Problem was I usually didn't have my computer with me so I kept forgetting to use it. Now that I bring one with me most of the time for my RS and carry a smart phone which could probably handle it too it may be time to bring it back.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:50 PM

the BMI front Al spacers rock, but they are too tall for the R5 front end... once I true down the fronts to the point I like to race I can use the smallest 3mm shims BMI sells for about 2 runs, then I am on to using other various mixes of spacers. if BMI could make some nice alloy spacers that are similar to what Yokomo used to sell... that would rock (at 2, 1.5 and 1mm)

or make something
Old 02-04-2010, 01:06 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The front end im working on is sure to impress. I cant release any info yet but rest assured, it will be inovative and be easy to set up. As you know, we are not going to just remold an AE front end and claim success. We wont release anything unless its an improvement. At this time i am not sure if it will be able to be produced cheap enough to release with the car but maybe as an upgrade. I will have to see what i can do. All i can say is that it will be in typical BMI style.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.