Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Temp guns... again >

Temp guns... again

Temp guns... again

Old 07-19-2007, 02:24 AM
Tech Adept

Default Temp guns... again

Hi guys and gals,

I've got a bit of a dilemma here. I currently own a Fluke contact thermometer, that I trust for its readings (+/- 0.3 C accuracy). Due to its concept (contact vs. infra), I feel that it will be more accurate than the best infra temp gun out there...

Anyhow, due to it being quite impractical (you have to pass the thermocouple down each time you want to take a reading), I have decided to go for a infra temp gun. Now, I was thinking about the Pro Exotics PE-2. First, I'd like some opinions on that.

Next, I thought... well, hey, I only want to buy this once (in the past, whenever I have bought something that was not as good as I wanted to be, or if I said to myself "I will upgrade later", I always ended up spending more money than if I got the good thing from the start), so I was thinking... Now, Fluke is one of my favorite companies, you can pretty much say I am a fanboy - I trust Fluke instruments for any reading that I take. So, I looked up Fluke... the Fluke 62 series is in my price range. I also looked at RayTek, there, I could go for the MT6.

The thing that bothers me is that neither has adjustable emissivity... how much of an issue is this? What would you recommend? Anything I have overlooked?

P.S. I am a person that thinks if you do something, do it once and do it right. So, please, don't give me any of that "just spit on the head and you'll be fine"...
Old 07-19-2007, 02:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hands down the best temp gun available i don't care what anyone else reckons this is by far the ultimate

Thermometer, Infrared, Enhanced
ItemQtyPrice** Thermometer, Infrared, Enhanced Stock#: RTEMP60PBA

$426.40
Add To CartCheckout
Features:
  • Pinpoint radiator core restrictions
  • Check exhaust and emission control
  • Measure catalytic converter temperatures
  • Diagnose exhaust manifolds
  • Measure tire or race track temperatures
  • Check bearing, rotor, brake and drum temperatures
  • HVAC—Use for temperature room balancing, check supply/return registers, duct work, monitor steam traps, furnace performance and use in energy audits.
  • Food Safety—Perform HaCCP temperature measurements at receiving docks, take cooking temperatures, check hot and holding temperatures, ensure storage temperatures on freezers, ovens and ranges.

Description:
Temperature range of -25 to 1100°F (-32 to 600°C). Single point Class 2 laser sighting. 30 to 1 distance-to-spot ratio. Backlit LCD display with MAX, MIN, DIF, AVG, SCAN and HOLD functions. Settable Hi-Lo alarm and adjustable emissivity. Other features include 12-point Data Logging and RTD probe jack. Includes manual, 9V battery and protective hard case. CE Conformity.
Additional Description:
These infrared thermometers safely monitor hot, hazardous, or hard-to-reach materials without contamination or damage to the surface. Simply point at target, pull the trigger, and read the temperature on the large, backlit LCD display. Applications include:
Additional Features:
  • Pinpointing radiator core restrictions
  • Checking exhaust and emission control problems
  • Measuring catalytic converter temperatures
  • Diagnosing exhaust manifolds for combustion problems
  • Measuring tire temperatures
  • Measuring race track temperatures
  • Measuring bearing, rotor, drum, or brake temperatures for potential problems
  • HVAC-Use for temperature room balancing, check supply/return registers duct work, monitor steam traps, furnace performance plus use in energy audits

Product SpecificationsStock #RTEMP60PBA NameThermometer, Infrared, EnhancedPrice** $426.40 BrandSnap-on Temperature Range-32° to 600°C (-25° to 1100°F)Temperature Display0.2°C (0.5°F)Accuracy±1% of reading or ±1°C (±2°F)Ambient Operating Range0° to 50°C (32° to 120°F)Repeatability±0.5% of reading or ±1°C (±2°F)Emissivity0.1 to 1.0 digitally adjustableResponse Time500 mSecDistance to Spot Ratio30:1Power9V Alkaline or NiCad battery
Old 07-19-2007, 03:22 AM
Tech Adept

Buddy,

I'm so sorry, but that is not the best... now I'm not trying to sound like a Mr. Know it All, and sorry if it comes across that way... there are better thermometers, and when talking about things like this, the sky is the limit. I will, however, point you to an example of a better IR thermometer, that is close to that price range.

I know how it feels when you find a great product, and then go around, showing everyone how "This r0xx0rz", so your above post is uderstandable, though it is off topic a bit.

First, you chose Snap On as the brand. Fine with you, not fine with me. Snap on does make excellent mechanical tools/racks/shelves to fix cars or anything else - in that department, they cannot be beat. However, I feel that buying anything electroncal from Snap On is a waste - why have a Snap On badge on something that is not made by them? Its like buying a computer or RC car from Snap On, just because everything else they make is top notch. But, rest assured - any electronics that have the "Snap On" label on them are 100% made by someone else. And, guess what - yes, this very Snap On IR thermometer is made by Fluke! Look at the casing, and all the other specs. Indeed, it is identical to Fluke's 66 series infra red thermometer. So, yes, you have chosen a very good thermometer! But, Fluke still has a better one - meet the Fluke 68:

http://www.myflukestore.com/infrared/fluke68.php

Just to prove that it is better - well, at first glance, take a look at the optics - 50:1 on the Fluke 68 compared to 30:1 on your Snap On (or Fluke 66 for that matter). If you feel like it, compare the other specs...

And if that isn't good enough for you, well take a look at this: http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?r...24E&Nav=temj04

And I could go on....

But, I'm not here to discuss which thermometer is best with no price limit.... can someone please answer my question in the first post?

Last edited by D_o_S; 07-19-2007 at 03:36 AM.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:40 AM
Tech Master

So true i got a snap on LED torch to find out i could have got it half price from the Manufacture that made it it just don't come with the snap-on logo

I only recommend this one cause Ive used one before don't own one but have use one and was very impressed plus i didn't know it was a FLUKE in disguise u seem to be alot more up to date in this subject then me so ill sut up now
Old 07-19-2007, 03:43 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by D_o_S
And if that isn't good enough for you, well take a look at this: http://www.omega.com/ppt/pptsc.asp?r...24E&Nav=temj04
OMFG that thing is spastic
Old 07-19-2007, 09:25 AM
Tech Regular

Who in their right mind would spend $1200 on a temp gun. When do you need to know if something is over 4000 degrees?!?!
Old 07-19-2007, 09:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

The Snapon is just a rebadged Fluke. Personally, I'd get one for $50, learn how to tune by sight and sound and NOT just temperature, and spend the balance on 2 very nice engines.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:57 AM
Tech Adept

Ok,

anyone have the Raytek MT6? How is it for measuring temps?
Old 07-23-2007, 06:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (99%+)

the OD temp gun is $35 and is within 1 or 2 degrees of the Exergen........its the best bang for buck
Old 07-23-2007, 06:14 AM
Tech Regular

by far i think the best temp gun is the industrial exergen a little pricy at 700 dollars but by far the best you can find them on ebay for a little cheaper my dad baught ours for like 250
Old 07-23-2007, 12:12 PM
Tech Master

This is one is the hobby's best;

https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...ns&pn=EXEDX501
Old 07-23-2007, 03:29 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Z_Schneider
Who in their right mind would spend $1200 on a temp gun. When do you need to know if something is over 4000 degrees?!?!
I work at a power plant. we control some temps around 4,000 deg. F. Sorry to jump off topic. Great info here.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pwnzor
the OD temp gun is $35 and is within 1 or 2 degrees of the Exergen........its the best bang for buck
+1 for the OD temp gun.

I just got one a month or so ago and have since compared it to a couple of exergens and it's always within 1 or 2 degrees. It also has a very cool little feature which displays the last reading taken, along with the highest reading gathered while the measure button is held down. When you add the stopwatch feature for timing fuel stops and the $30ish price range, what's not to like?
Old 07-23-2007, 09:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

exergen, the only temp gun you will ever need.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:01 AM
Tech Adept

This looks like the Exergen right?

http://www.omega.com/pptst/OS950.html

I'm just wondering who makes these things... if its Exergen makes them for Omega or vice versa.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.