Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Truggy Tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 08:10 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Truggy Tires

I have a truggy and the tires that came on the Kyosho have small nobbies. I need help, the truck is ALL OVER the track. I mean I can't make one good turn.

What kind of tires should I be running the smooth or the fat MONSTER type tires. Any brand or model recomended would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Bhard888
Old 07-12-2007, 08:24 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)
You could try checking with the local racers and asking what they run.
Its hard to give advice not knowing the track conditions.
Although Pro-line Crime Fighters or Bow Ties are the standard at a lot of tracks.

Good Luck!
Old 07-12-2007, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That is the best advice.

You are at the track so ask someone. They will tell you what works on THAT track. The good thing about truggies are that they are more tolerant of tires than buggies are. Panther has a nice line of tires as does GRP.

If those Kyosho tires are from the stock ST then they are only passable at best but you need to use a firmer foam because the stock foam is to soft so the tire flexes a lot in turns.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Duh

Sorry I failed to mentioned track conditions. The track is hard as a rock and made of sand and is never watered.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Proline Holeshot MTR's as long as its hard pack & not loose on top, those will be your best choice IMO. Or GRP cubics...which i recently found worked great on a hard pack track thats a little dusty & loose on top when not watered.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Talking

Originally Posted by Bhard888
Sorry I failed to mentioned track conditions. The track is hard as a rock and made of sand and is never watered.
Hard as a rock and never watered!??? GRP CUBICS/ Sand? Even Better. My home track is the same way. At first I ran the GRP GRIPZ which were pretty good. Then I switched to the CUBICS and they were awesome.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:05 PM
Suspended

From the description, it sounds like an MTR(I'm guessing this is similar to M3 compound?) compound Bow Tie would be optimal. I'm guessing the track might blue groove at certain points, creating a good environment for Holeshots but to be safe in the sandier parts (if this is the case), the Bow Ties would dig a bit better.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nay0k
From the description, it sounds like an MTR(I'm guessing this is similar to M3 compound?) compound Bow Tie would be optimal. I'm guessing the track might blue groove at certain points, creating a good environment for Holeshots but to be safe in the sandier parts (if this is the case), the Bow Ties would dig a bit better.
The only thing controvercial in that is the MTR suggestion. MTRs are great for ripping down the straights but a MT w/ some good molded foams like Ofna orange for example can rip down the straights AND rip through the corners while the MTRs go sliding out of control with less of a side grip. All of this depends on your style of course like whether you power through a corner or coast around under minimal power to maintain grip. Typically from what he describes I'd suggest moving to a crimefighter for starters and maybe Bowties if the track is not as technical and doesn't have as many sharp turns. End result is that a CF w/ soft compound can take the minimal amount of bluegroove and still be able to gain some ground in the looser stuff and sand.

Ask the guy standing next to you in the pits what HE runs and then ask the next 4 guys you run into. You'll soon find out what the best tire to run is at YOUR track and not ours.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:46 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Wolverini
The only thing controvercial in that is the MTR suggestion. MTRs are great for ripping down the straights but a MT w/ some good molded foams like Ofna orange for example can rip down the straights AND rip through the corners while the MTRs go sliding out of control with less of a side grip.
Wait, I thought MTR was a tire compound, but it's a foam compound? I wouldn't know, I've never owned a truggy before. Guess I'll take a look on the website...

I usually use the orange OFNA foams on rougher tracks myself, though.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nay0k
Wait, I thought MTR was a tire compound, but it's a foam compound? I wouldn't know, I've never owned a truggy before. Guess I'll take a look on the website...

I usually use the orange OFNA foams on rougher tracks myself, though.
MTR is an entirely different tire with different features.