Wiki Posts
Search

Yok shock caps for TC3

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2003, 09:16 PM
CGR
Tech Regular

Default Yok shock caps for TC3

I heard a few things about this mod. Can anyone go into detail as to the pros and cons and provide a yok part#?

thanks
Old 04-27-2003, 09:25 PM
Tech Regular

The Yok caps have a small screw at the top that enables you to bleed out any remaining air left after screwing the cap on. Also helps get rid of the pressure so your shocks don't rebound.

-Headbanger
Old 04-27-2003, 09:33 PM
CGR
Tech Regular

thanks for the info. Sounds like its worth trying. Do you happen to know the yok part# or what car/shock the caps for?
Old 04-27-2003, 10:43 PM
Tech Regular

CGR,

The part # is YS-8Y for the Shock end cap. 2 pieces for $3.00. I have also noticed they came out with Alu bladder type caps (no bleed screw). Part # YS-8D. Choose your poison! :-)

-Headbanger
Old 04-27-2003, 10:52 PM
CGR
Tech Regular

thx again for the part #s.

The screw concept makes sense but what do the bladders do?
Old 04-27-2003, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yup, though I for one prefer the caps with bleed screws. They are SOOO easy to get right it practically makes filling & bleeding the shocks fun. The Yok caps are threaded just the same as a TC3's, so it's a direct fit, & all you needd do is fill the shock to the very top, slowly move the shock shaft up & down several times to get all the air out from below the piston, refill to the top of the shock body, then put some oil in the cap(with the screw threaded in) & quickly install the cap. It should feel slightly overfilled at that point, & then it's just a matter of removing the screw, push the shock shaft all the way in(& leave it in), wipe off the oil that came out, & reinstall the bleed screw & you're good to go.....
Old 04-27-2003, 11:01 PM
Tech Regular

I'm not quite sure what's the primary function of the bladders.

After I put the cap on, I slowly unscew the bleed screw keeping my screwdriver on the head. When all excess oil has oozed out, I then tighten it back up. It's very easy to get all the shock to the same consistency.

-Headbanger
Old 04-28-2003, 08:57 AM
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

If you use a small 1.5mm screw and drill the Associated caps 1mm you get exactly the same result.

I use TC3 shocks on my MR4 and son uses the same on his TC3. I drilled the caps on both sets, and we have had no problems.

And yes they are simple to bleed.

regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 04-28-2003, 10:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

AE also do the caps with the screws, I ordered a set of Yok ones
and they sent me AE ones #6428
Old 04-28-2003, 11:10 AM
Tech Master

I think the bladders are supposed to assist with tuning the shock's rebound. Not sure though. The bladder cap set has a hole in the cap so that excess oil bleeds out when you screw it together. No guess work.
Old 04-28-2003, 02:08 PM
dw
Tech Adept

When the shock compresses the shaft occupies more space inside the shock. The shock absorber is a constant volume and oil is virtually incompressible so there must be some air inside the shock which will compress.

Without a bladder in the shock the air is mixed in with the oil. With a bladder the air is kept seperate from the oil.
Some shocks keep the air and oil seperate by using foam volume compensators instead.

There isn't much difference in the performance of the different types of shock. It is a matter of preference.