Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Driving Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 04:47 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sosidge
Fast in fast out is better if you can manage it!

Why people talk about slow-in-fast-out...

A car (usually) has better braking performance than acceleration performance, so if you can get on the power earlier you can make up more time than if you brake too late and end up on the power late. Basically it is a lot easier to mess up your corner on the way in (overshooting it), than it is on the way out (all you need to do is get on the power as soon as possible and you are away), so make the entry count, and if you are a bit slower on entry it is a lot easier to still do a good time than if you are too fast.
So the important thing is consistency right??
Old 07-07-2007, 07:46 AM
Tech Elite

Personally speaking I always go for a consistent race setup rather than the outright fastest setup over one lap.

If you need marshalling even once in a race it will cost you 5 seconds + track position, I would rather have a safe approach to the track rather than take risks at every corner in the hope of gaining a couple of tenths per lap.

Also if you can keep your car on a neat line throughout the race you will be very difficult to pass, whereas if you are overshooting corners with any regularity you are just asking to lose position.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mafiaracers
if you treat the radio like an on-off switch, you can't really expect a lot out of your car, you don't drive a real car like that do you...(well...some of us) but the smoother you are with the trigger, the more control you will inevitably have...and as one of my driving mentors always told me...."slow is fast"
Originally Posted by sosidge
Personally speaking I always go for a consistent race setup rather than the outright fastest setup over one lap.

If you need marshalling even once in a race it will cost you 5 seconds + track position, I would rather have a safe approach to the track rather than take risks at every corner in the hope of gaining a couple of tenths per lap.

Also if you can keep your car on a neat line throughout the race you will be very difficult to pass, whereas if you are overshooting corners with any regularity you are just asking to lose position.
These guys are right on. I proved it to myself again last night. I went to a bigger pinion and had a few of my fastest laps but overshot some turns, because of less braking power. Overall my car was faster with the smaller pinion. Bottom line, "slow is fast" because you keep the car consistent.