Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spektrum toasting throttle servos??

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 05:46 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)
Default Spektrum toasting throttle servos??

Hello, I have a question that I hope someone can answer for me. The last two times I have raced I have toasted the throttle servo, First one was whole servo, second one was Brake side only. Whats up?? Anyone else ever had these problems? I changed out receiver last time and still did it. I have the travel limit set so it is not bottoming out the servo. The servos I have been using is the futaba 3003 and 1903, was going to put my good airtronics 94157 in it but dont want to ruin it too. Any insite on this or does the stupid thing just not like Me?? Everyone have a great day... Patrick
Old 06-24-2007, 06:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slufoot78
Hello, I have a question that I hope someone can answer for me. The last two times I have raced I have toasted the throttle servo, First one was whole servo, second one was Brake side only. Whats up?? Anyone else ever had these problems? I changed out receiver last time and still did it. I have the travel limit set so it is not bottoming out the servo. The servos I have been using is the futaba 3003 and 1903, was going to put my good airtronics 94157 in it but dont want to ruin it too. Any insite on this or does the stupid thing just not like Me?? Everyone have a great day... Patrick
If you are using cheap ass servos, then that is your problem, you need to have a good servo, spektrum is not your problem here.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

What car is it in?
Old 06-24-2007, 06:55 PM
Tech Addict

I am running it in a RC10Gt using the crenzi brake system. I run the CHEAP servos "1903's" in my other two Gts and never had any problems with them. Just seems to be the one GT. Was going to install the air servo but dont want to mess it up too if there is a problem. I have never had any problem with the spektrum stuff so that is why I ask.... Have a good one.. Patrick
Old 06-24-2007, 07:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Make sure the servo has some clearance up from the chassis, about an 1/8" is lots. Use the rubber servo mounting dampers provided with the servo as well. Make sure the servo is not pulling too far, on throttle and brake, just dial in as much brake as you need to just barely lock up the rear tires. You not using a reveiver pack with too much voltage are you?
Old 06-24-2007, 08:30 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the reply. I am using stock servo mounts so it sets up a bit. I have radio adjusted to allow just what I need for brake and throttle. I use a venom 5 cell 6 volt receiver pack. It may have just been time for servos to go out, who knows. Guess I will try my airtronics servo and see what happens.. Thanks for your input and have a wonderful week.. Patrick
Old 06-24-2007, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

in your radio you can set your servo stop....you need to make sure your not trying to through your servo to far it adds to much stress on the servo motor...
Old 06-27-2007, 06:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

This also happened to me. But to stay away from this disaster, the rule of thumb still applies. " Before running, turn on first the Transmiter then the reciever. And after running, turn off the reciever first then the transmiter.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sir miles
This also happened to me. But to stay away from this disaster, the rule of thumb still applies. " Before running, turn on first the Transmiter then the reciever. And after running, turn off the reciever first then the transmiter.
I believe that is the very first rule that everyone who has ever owned an R/C car had to learn...some the hard way!!

But, on that same point, make sure that when you bound the transmitter and receiver to each other that you had your servo in a nuetral position. If you bound them when the servo was torqued hard one way or the other, then everytime that you lose a signal or shut off the transmitter or turn the car on first, it will default back to those original adjustments. Shut off the transmitter and see if the servo stays nuetral.

When I have all of my adjustments where I want them for that vehicle, I like to change my throttle servo until there is some drag brake and then rebind the transmitter to the receiver. Then I can put my throttle adjustment back to where I run it. Then if I lose my signal for some reason, the receiver will go back to that setting and apply the brakes to slow the car down.