Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
knuckle and steering rod height shim >

knuckle and steering rod height shim

knuckle and steering rod height shim

Old 06-24-2007, 07:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default knuckle and steering rod height shim

hi! dude..

i have a question about steering rod height shim connected knuckle.

what effect on the machine when the shim height is high or low?
Attached Thumbnails knuckle and steering rod height shim-assemble_advice_v-onerrr_17.jpg  
Old 06-24-2007, 07:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

gansei- Putting washers under the ball stud like that will generally change the "bump steer" characteristics, that is the amount of toe in or toe out change the wheel will go through as the suspension moves through it's travel. Putting washers under that stud will give it more bump out, as the wheel travels up, the wheel has to toe out more. the closer the tie rod is to level or the same angle as the lower suspension arm, the less bump change there will usually be. The reason you might want more or less toe in change as the wheel goes up and down is, you can have less toe OUT down the straight while accelerating, then as you get off the gas, and the car lowers in front, it gets more toe OUT for better turn in. Most cars seem to have some bump OUT or toe OUT change as the suspension compresses, you can fine tune this with washers under either the inner or outer ball stud. Hope this helps!
Old 06-24-2007, 08:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ffejdat
gansei- Putting washers under the ball stud like that will generally change the "bump steer" characteristics, that is the amount of toe in or toe out change the wheel will go through as the suspension moves through it's travel. Putting washers under that stud will give it more bump out, as the wheel travels up, the wheel has to toe out more. the closer the tie rod is to level or the same angle as the lower suspension arm, the less bump change there will usually be. The reason you might want more or less toe in change as the wheel goes up and down is, you can have less toe OUT down the straight while accelerating, then as you get off the gas, and the car lowers in front, it gets more toe OUT for better turn in. Most cars seem to have some bump OUT or toe OUT change as the suspension compresses, you can fine tune this with washers under either the inner or outer ball stud. Hope this helps!
thanks for your reply..

but sorry... my english is poor.. so i could not understand exactly

when i pressed front suspension...

more washers under outer ball stud -> tire act toe-in

is it right?

1) more washers under outer ball stud -> fast corner-in
2) less washers under outer ball stud -> smooth corner-in
Old 06-27-2007, 02:25 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by gansei
thanks for your reply..

but sorry... my english is poor.. so i could not understand exactly

when i pressed front suspension...

more washers under outer ball stud -> tire act toe-in

is it right?

1) more washers under outer ball stud -> fast corner-in
2) less washers under outer ball stud -> smooth corner-in
the effect is the more shims under stud the more mid corner steering (better for low bite) and less shims under the stud the less mid corner steering (better for high bite and traction roll)