Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
True Dyno for R/C Vehicles >

True Dyno for R/C Vehicles

True Dyno for R/C Vehicles

Old 04-22-2003, 11:10 AM
R/C Tech Founder

Default True Dyno for R/C Vehicles

I was just thinking about something the other day, and wondered if anybody had ever tried this before (or a reason why they hadn't).

Why is there no true "at the wheels" dyno for electric R/C vehicles? We see so much talk about free drivetrains and the like, and tons of motor tuning, but we never really put the two together until we are out on the track.

Obviously constructing such a beast would be a challenge, but no moreso than any of the other gadgets we have out there. The real trick would be making it work universally with different types of vehicles, as well as designing a roller system that would actually simulate track conditions.

Anyway, just some random thoughts.
Old 04-22-2003, 11:16 AM
Tech Master

Use a treadmill.

I think Parma??? made one but I have never seen it and they (if its Parma) don't make it anymore. I also think Serpent makes one. It would be a great thing if someone came up with one for sedans.
Old 04-22-2003, 11:26 AM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

A R/C Chassis Dyno, in simple terms.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

I believe there used to be one, i remember jeff gundlach had one at the OLD MARCCA track (circa 1991).

great one more thing people will lug to the track. and spend more time on it rather than learning how to drive.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:16 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Hey, you know this hobby is all about goofy gadgets, first and foremost.

Part of the reason I was thinking about it was that one of my friends is looking for an R/C-related project for an electrical engineering class.

I do think that the chassis dyno (thanks Troy) would be a bit more over the top than we already need, but then again, so are the motor dynos we use.
Old 04-22-2003, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

That would be rather cool. You have dynos for just motors, why not tell how much power a motor puts to the ground when in a car. That way you could tell how much power you gain or lose when you do make gear ratio changes. It would be a very cool gadget to have in your pits. If nothing more then a really good conversation piece.

Later
Old 04-22-2003, 02:08 PM
RCTech Member #2

Exactly. For once, you can prove the little chassis theories.

See how much you accually do gain by degreasing bearings..

Put an end to this shaft v.s. belt arguement...

It would be cool to have, but i think it would suck to lug around. This might be something that you need to put in one of those roll behind suitcases.

Either way, it is an innovation.. one that I wouldnt mind seeing, although it is not something I would buy.
Old 04-22-2003, 02:09 PM
dw
Tech Adept

I'm waiting for someone to make a seven post shaker rig.
Old 04-22-2003, 02:14 PM
R/C Tech Founder

I don't think it would be the kind of thing you'd take to the track very often. The cost of assembly would not be much more than a regular motor dyno (e.g. the Fantom) since the actual electronic parts would be nearly identical.

The only other problem I could see would be the incredible amp draw required to spin up the car's entire drivetrain to such a speed. A stock motor turning a flywheel already draws 70A-80A for the first half-second or so...

I really do think it would be an interesting thing to play around with, though.
Old 04-22-2003, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

There are other ways to calculate amp draw. Read the voltage drop across some .1 ohm resistors and use ohm's law to calculate the amperage. Just watch your power ratings.

The Thor Chassis Dyno from Parma used dvm's to give you the readings at the rear wheels. I didn't have one but I have seen a picture.

Now a dyno for nitro motors would be a big hit, imo. Then you could test different pipe/header configurations.
Old 04-22-2003, 03:51 PM
Tech Master

Check out serpent, I am almost positive I saw a chassis dyno in one of their catalogs.

Kraig, didn't one of the magazines, probably RC Nitro do some dyno pulls on a nitro?
Old 04-22-2003, 04:01 PM
RCTech Member #2

Originally posted by spongebob
Check out serpent, I am almost positive I saw a chassis dyno in one of their catalogs.

Kraig, didn't one of the magazines, probably RC Nitro do some dyno pulls on a nitro?
The Dyno RC Nitro uses was a custom job, done by the same company that makes dynos of all sizes for different applications.

Serpent makes a motor break-in stand with a fan, tank, and all the goodies, but it is not a dyno. Another company, TNT, makes a running-stand, with rollers for the car to spin, but that is only to run the car. Again, not a dyno.

If you can look up more on the Serpent stuff, let us know, but I'm almost positive they don't.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:49 PM
Tech Initiate

A guy at the track had one two weeks ago. Put the rear wheels on it and it gave an amp load reading. I didn't pay much attention to it but it didn't look home made. He was from Ohio.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:58 PM
Tech Master

I agree with Kraig. a dyno for nitros would be awsome. especially for tuning and things like that
Old 04-22-2003, 11:57 PM
Tech Adept

Serpent had a chassis dyno, but it's now discontinued. I think it worked with their DRX datalogger system, but I'm not sure about that.
The engine dynos also exist, I know that the guys here who race tethered speed models have one. The price is outrageous though, >10k$.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.