Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Kyosho VoneR Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2002, 05:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by patelladragger
You have to account for the fact that not every track is smooth with high grip.
Boy isnt that the truth

Practice days suck early in the day, untill the dust gets ran off the track and on to my car

there goes another night in the garage cleaning my car
Old 09-02-2002, 05:34 PM
Tech Elite

well I'm not an experienced racer since I've only been at this since Feb. But I've been around plenty that are. And to say that EVERY experience racer says they NEVER use anything under 40 shore is bologny. You have to account for the fact that not every track is smooth with high grip.
You said to not use under 40 not me. If you cannot tune the car well enuff and need to use 35 I said good luck to you.

I said that you should try and stay at 40 or above it if possible as it makes the car squirmy if you dont. I think you will find most people agree with that. Do with that info what you like. The viewers of this forum are free to use whichever part of my advice they find useful and ignore the rest
Old 09-02-2002, 05:37 PM
Tech Elite

You have to account for the fact that not every track is smooth with high grip.
I can, thats why kyosho and others make diff oil, shock oil, springs, swaybars in different hardnesses and includes droop screws.

My advice is this use it as you like:

Try and use the hardest shore that will grip. Softer shore and larger diameter tires will give you squirm. 35 on front and rear as RCLover posted will be in my opinion squirmy and cause inconsistent handling and push.
Old 09-02-2002, 05:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by HEYALIGNMENTGUY

Boy isnt that the truth

Practice days suck early in the day, untill the dust gets ran off the track and on to my car

there goes another night in the garage cleaning my car
Have you tried the Serpent "Power Putty"? This stuff is awesome!! You apply it to your car like a cleaning putty and it can get into the nooks and crannies. Cleans it up really nice with no residue.
Old 09-02-2002, 06:00 PM
asd
Tech Addict

hey guys, i need urgent info, when i spin the wheels, the clutch and all the other gears and stuff move, but the engine doesn't!!
and when i move the wheels backwards there is a lot of force not lettin me, plz help!!!
Old 09-02-2002, 07:19 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by AMGRacer

You said to not use under 40 not me.

I said that you should try and stay at 40 or above it if possible as it makes the car squirmy if you dont
Sounds to me like you're contradicting yourself. No one said don't use under 40 except you.

I agree running large diameter makes inconsistent handling but that's not the issue . Running 35 rear shore in low grip situations doesn't make the car squirmy it makes the rear grip more.

I doubt seriously that any serious racer is so arrogant in their own rightness that they will tell everyone to never use under 40 shore no matter what the conditions. In many cases it makes better sense to tune with tires rather than mucking with your suspension setups once you get to the track. I keep from 35's through 45's of many different brands and use what works the best on that day. If it's race day I try not to jack around with the suspension that much.

The very first race I went to in February "EXPERIENCED" racers that run 1/8 scale and 235mm as well told me to bring 35's and 37's for rear and 40's 42's for front cause that what was working on that track at that time of the year. I've never heard of this new mantra AMG that you must be a poor tuner if you "have" to use 35. Just because in your area you never go below 40's doesn't mean it's valid to say racers all over the world should never go below 40 shore. lol. Thats' crazy. I'm just wondering what in the world makes you think most experienced racers agree with you that you should never run below 40 regardless of track conditions.
Old 09-02-2002, 07:35 PM
Tech Elite

Sounds to me like you're contradicting yourself. No one said don't use under 40 except you.

I agree running large diameter makes inconsistent handling but that's not the issue . Running 35 rear shore in low grip situations doesn't make the car squirmy it makes the rear grip more.

I doubt seriously that any serious racer is so arrogant in their own rightness that they will tell everyone to never use under 40 shore no matter what the conditions. In many cases it makes better sense to tune with tires rather than mucking with your suspension setups once you get to the track. I keep from 35's through 45's of many different brands and use what works the best on that day. If it's race day I try not to jack around with the suspension that much.

The very first race I went to in February "EXPERIENCED" racers that run 1/8 scale and 235mm as well told me to bring 35's and 37's for rear and 40's 42's for front cause that what was working on that track at that time of the year. I've never heard of this new mantra AMG that you must be a poor tuner if you "have" to use 35. Just because in your area you never go below 40's doesn't mean it's valid to say racers all over the world should never go below 40 shore. lol. Thats' crazy. I'm just wondering what in the world makes you think most experienced racers agree with you that you should never run below 40 regardless of track conditions.
*sigh*
Old 09-02-2002, 07:36 PM
rjl
Tech Fanatic

I used 37 shore all round on Sunday, set the equal lap record on them. 59mm diameter front 62mm rear, managed to get a traction roll for the first time on this track. I was very happy to finally get the car to traction roll.
Old 09-02-2002, 07:37 PM
Tech Elite

RCLover please PM me if you need any clarification to my recomendation. It appears that talking about setups here is more than some people can bear.

I appologise to all other V1R forum users for even replying to Patella since I should have known better.
Old 09-02-2002, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by rjl
I used 37 shore all round on Sunday, set the equal lap record on them. 59mm diameter front 62mm rear, managed to get a traction roll for the first time on this track. I was very happy to finally get the car to traction roll.
How did you find it rjl?? Sounds like it went well!! Did it feel solid?

Funny thing is the traction roll you experienced is a symptom of the too soft and too large diameter tires. At the recent QLD state champs the guys were using 42-45 and truing to 57mm to avoid traction rolls. Also a lot of droop can cause traction rolls.

I sometimes use 37 when the traction is really down, but I find the car gets squirrelly and you can traction roll if you go off line.

Last edited by AMGRacer; 09-02-2002 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-02-2002, 07:44 PM
Tech Master

yeah AMG - apology accepted. Like you said, people have every right to take advice they feel is worthy, and ignore advice that they don't. Too many good drivers I've seen in person use under 40 shore in the rear of the car. For some reason because I don't agree with you have decided that means I can't tune my suspension if I would ever commit blasphemy and run under 40 shore. Lol. And most "experienced" racers will tell me the same? Well like I said some very fast guys are the ones who directed me towards those shores in the first place so the "never use under 40 shore" AMG mantra is going to be one I ignore.
Old 09-02-2002, 07:54 PM
Tech Champion

RCLover please PM me if you need any clarification to my recomendation. It appears that talking about setups here is more than some people can bear.

I appologise to all other V1R forum users for even replying to Patella since I should have known better.
dont worry mate!! it is a discussion board.

A general rule of thumb.

higher track surface traction you need higher shore tire
lower track surface traction you need lower shore tire

there is no compromise in here.
Old 09-02-2002, 07:55 PM
Tech Elite

Another question for RCLover have you tried harder foam? What happened?
Old 09-02-2002, 08:01 PM
Tech Addict

asd are you new to the hobby or to nitro cars, you can go to the hobby shop and they will explain everything
Old 09-02-2002, 08:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Re: Setup comments...

from what I see you have gone to a softer rear spring but still have the relatively stiff front black front spring, try a kyosho green spring in the front to allow more weight transfer to the front for more steering. You may get more steering than you want with the green in which case you could run a harder shore like 40 or 42 in the front tires.
Hi Patella,
Thanks for the info, appreciate that. I feel bad if i had created a 'Setup War' for u guys...so sorry for that.
U mean the green spring from Kyosho? Front? Are they harder?
Any part number to look out for?
cheers..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.