Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Tamiya M04

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 12:43 PM
Tech Regular

now that they are running them together I don't have a snowballs chance to be in the a main . they only had four or five last year in Laurel
Old 06-13-2007, 05:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Anything is possible, Grasshopper...
Old 06-25-2007, 05:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Just got the opportunity to run my M04 with the setup I posted earlier in this thread! The new setup seemed to work during the morning hours yesterday with excellent grip, but the first heat did not start until 2pm and the track temperature was just over 130degree F and my car took me straight to donut city. I took 2mm of pre-load out of the rear and gain better traction plus started using traction compound on the rear and got much better response out of it. Toward the end on the day the mini was controllable but could not be driven with any aggression at all!
I've been reading comments in the mini forum about the these minis being simple and pleasure to drive and I can't agree with these statements. I normally and still race touring cars and they are much simpler to setup and much easier to drive then these minis.
After this weekend I'm starting to think that its not so much the type of tires you use on the M04 but its more about the track temperature and the facts that it is rear wheel drive and extremely light. It is much easier to pull a feather than to push a feather and maintain control.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rctouringracer
Just got the opportunity to run my M04 with the setup I posted earlier in this thread! The new setup seemed to work during the morning hours yesterday with excellent grip, but the first heat did not start until 2pm and the track temperature was just over 130degree F and my car took me straight to donut city. I took 2mm of pre-load out of the rear and gain better traction plus started using traction compound on the rear and got much better response out of it. Toward the end on the day the mini was controllable but could not be driven with any aggression at all!
I've been reading comments in the mini forum about the these minis being simple and pleasure to drive and I can't agree with these statements. I normally and still race touring cars and they are much simpler to setup and much easier to drive then these minis.
After this weekend I'm starting to think that its not so much the type of tires you use on the M04 but its more about the track temperature and the facts that it is rear wheel drive and extremely light. It is much easier to pull a feather than to push a feather and maintain control.
"I've been reading comments in the mini forum about the these minis being simple and pleasure to drive and I can't agree with these statements....."

It's the M03 front wheel drive we're talking about........................
Old 06-25-2007, 07:53 PM
Tech Master

I see, said the blind man to the deaf woman on the telephone!
I just want to figure this car out before I have to resort to using my m03.
I am just stubborn and don't like to admit failure.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

the m04m is one of my favorite chassis' to play around, lately it's been on the shelf.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I love the M-04 indoors for carpet, it drives just like a touring car, and I have a perfect setup for that. Unfortunately outdoors it's not the same case unless it's pristinely treated new asphalt.

One step to help the traction was getting a Rapida Pro and dial down the power limiter to 45-65%, depending on traction. This lets me hammer down the throttle out of a turn, but won't spin the tires as it gradually accelerates. It's all about throttle control. Overdo it a bit and you're toast.
I think the Zero-V/Extreme has the same function..
Old 06-26-2007, 07:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

ahh yes, the M04 has been a source of great frustration for me in the past (on asphalt)

RP tires helped as did the HPI body (with huge rear wing), but in standard form it is a handful
Old 06-26-2007, 08:05 AM
Tech Regular

Default alpha mo4

My alpha used to look like the one posted up. but at the last pratice at tamiya. these guys kept punting me from behind. obviously they did not know how to use the steering wheell.

I had the box stock motor in it at the time and it was extremelly slow, but that is still no excuse for being punted by faster touring cars. I have faster touring car also, but i have never punted a mini, well hard any way. I may have nudges a couple.

I got the car to handle, Had to go the sway bars to keep it from oversteering.
the front end is so stiff there is almost no travel.

we will se what will happen at the tcs this weekend.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I'll see you at TCS, although I will most likely be racing an M03 this weekend (did you race the TA fun race on the 23rd?)
Old 06-26-2007, 10:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Good Alfa body
Old 06-28-2007, 03:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default M04m

Trueno AE86 on M04m

ty

joel
Old 06-28-2007, 04:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Very nice. What shell is that?
Old 06-28-2007, 05:11 PM
Tech Master

That shell is hot!!!
Where can I get me one of those?
Old 06-28-2007, 07:55 PM
Tech Master

Hey guys doing some service on the M04 and I found a crack in one of the guides for the shafts for the internal gears in the transmission. Do you all think I should worry about it?
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya M04-dsc01035.jpg   Tamiya M04-dsc01037.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.