Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mugen MBX5R

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 05:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

+1 to arm issues. I broke the original style arms, replaced it with the new style and haven't had a problem since.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:08 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Integra
any misaligement on the bell and flywheel is either too much shimming or not the proper collet for the flywheel....there's NO way a Mugen flywheel on a Ninja isnt gonna work....are u still running the stock motor mount ?...u sure i didnt flip it around or something ? ive ran the fioroni on Ninja's RB's STS's, picco's...the Whole fleet and never once had a Unfixale issue with the flywheel or bell....It just takes some creative shimming in the Right places.

I also have no problems shimming with the standard clutch on a WS7III. Pic bellow. I do have to shim different when i rig up The v-spec but it ends up the same.

Cheers

Tim
Attached Thumbnails Mugen MBX5R-dscn7451_640x480.jpg  
Old 02-19-2008, 02:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Does anyone know if the Jammin spur gear 48T will fit the Mugen diff?
I have the 44T and would like to go to a bigger spur and i have "direct" access to a Jammin gear now.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:35 PM
Tech Adept

Default BCE 5R Chassis ????

Has anyone run the BCE Chassis on their 5R?

Was looking to hear some comparisons to the stocker.

I run the BCE chassis on my 5T, and it was money well spent.

Thanks in advance
Sean.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vti-chris
Does anyone know if the Jammin spur gear 48T will fit the Mugen diff?
I have the 44T and would like to go to a bigger spur and i have "direct" access to a Jammin gear now.
No, the Jammin spur gear will not fit the Mugen diff.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i have a set of kyosho alum clutch shoes and a set of mugen ones. i noticed the k shoes are a little smaller. can i run them on my 5r? if so, what will the differences in takeoff and general ones be?
Old 02-23-2008, 11:14 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I'm not 100%, but don't the Mugen and Kyosho clutch shoes use a different size flywheel pin?
Old 02-23-2008, 12:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The Mugen uses a 2.5mm clutch pin. The Kyosho uses a 2.6mm. Basically the Kyosho shoes will probably fit but they will have a lot of play on the flywheel pins and might bind up.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:21 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

thanks guys... i just got a new v-spec for it and i don't think i'll take the chance. i'll just use the mugen shoes....thanks again.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:05 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by windellmc
On the 5R front arm issue, I found the first run of front 5r arms were pretty brittle on the pillowball end when the weather was cold. They would last okay in warm weather though. Pillowballs would pull out and/or that part of the arm would break off.

In May/June Mugen got new arms in that fixed this problem. You can tell the arms apart because the newer ones are about 1mm thicker at the pillowball and there is extra material underneath and behind where the swaybar mounts on the arm. These newer arms are bombproof.
Well, must have a set of the old arms for sure. I replaced the side where I got the hairline crack. The other side at the last race basically tore clean out, shattered at that area. I'll post a pic. I am going to take a look at all the sets I have sitting around to see if they will have that issue as well. Wonder if mugen would send me replacements for the ones that are still NIB but the older material?

Anyway, at the last race I tried a setup that the winner last time used. Holy crap the vehicle could turn on a dime, it was WAY too much steering for what I was used to and I was all over the place. Didn't drive well at all.

I know this has been brought up before, but I wanted to get a fresh confirmation without hunting for it too much:

1. For the MBX5R chassis versus the MBX5 chassis, what exactly is different?

2. For the MBX5R Shocks versus the MBX5 shocks, how much better are they?

I am trying to decide on either buying a full on MBX5R and put my conversion stuff on that for my brushless setup, or, just finishing up my conversion to an MBX5R by putting on the shock towers and shocks.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Only thing I found, was that the R chassis has the milled out front section for the arms to clear for droop. Other than that, I saw nothing else repositioned. at least by the screws holes when I compared them.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:10 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Can anyone give me some set up tips for my MBX5R on rough hard packed tracks with high grip? Im having trouble getting the buggy to run stable so it will stay on its wheels and jump cleanly. Should i be using softer or harder springs, thinner or thicker weight oils in shocks and diffs, kick up, ride height or whats the general rules of thumb to follow??
Old 02-26-2008, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)
Default I need some build help!

Okay so I bought a used roller off of here that was pretty much spent. I bought ALL new parts except for the diffs. My problem is slop in the wheels. I see I need to shim the hubs a little but I am also see alot of slop in the axle. If I grab the wheel and move it around I can see the axle moving around inside the bearings. I bought the bearings from Avid and have never had any problems with them. It looks like maybe the slop is actually in the bearing itself though. Only ran it about 5 minutes after build. All the axles and the pillow ball carriers are new. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:05 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

the slop in the rear is actually the hub mounting onto the hingepin....if it has the aluminum hubs and the person did not use the set screw holes to lock the hub to the hingepin and allow the pin to rotate in the arm itself, then you will get some wear in the hub and the pin itself....you can try using the set screw holes in the hub to lock down on the hingepin...and loosen the hingepin in the arm to allow it to freely rotate when the suspension is compressed. It may wear out the arm after a bit, but they are cheaper then the hingepin+hub...

in the front, you basically are stuck with what you got...
Old 02-26-2008, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

Thanks for the info man. I will check the back and see what I see. It's not that bad back there. I find hard to believe that it is normal to have that much slop in the front. Like I said it is all new. I'm gonna order new bearings but I wouldn't think the avids would be bad after 5 min of runtime.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.