Wiki Posts
Search

How cool is the new look!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 09:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

yeah that really sux lol

maybe there is a way to auto resize to 600x400?
Attached Thumbnails How cool is the new look!!!-rctechc.gif  
Old 06-03-2007, 10:14 PM
Tech Adept

Just wanted to say I really like the look of the site. Going to send in my membership dues now.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:43 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by futureal
I realize that "good design" as syndr0me mentions should handle any resolution, but there is an awful lot to fit into each page here, and 640 across (more like 600 after scrollbars and such) is not much at all. The left hand banner space is around 120, the avatar area is around 200, plus it needs to fit in the logo and banner at the top which is over 640 all in all. I can't think of a very good way to make it viewable with that, unfortunately. I'll give it a shot on my test site tomorrow though.
I apologize if that sounded like a dig, I didn't mean it as such. Clearly there are limits. I think the site's design is just great, and extremely usable. There's a few quirks here and there, but it sounds like you know about them, and know what you're doing. :-) I just felt it was important to point out that as monitors get bigger, many people will run things in multiple windows rather than maximize everything. In this case, there's benefit of a design that can render properly in small windows regardless of the end user's resolution.

On an unrelated note, now that the "Welcome, username" box in the upper right contains private message counts, does that make displaying the PM info right below it superfluous?
Old 06-03-2007, 11:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by James
i dont really like the new logo in the top... it's too 'surfy'... definately not r/c style. the rest is okay.

The problem with 'RC style' (design) is that most of it just plain SUCKS. (I think Robert Ibon/Upgrade is the only person who is doing any decent graphic design in this industry).
Old 06-03-2007, 11:16 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Originally Posted by GymBeam
yeah that really sux lol

maybe there is a way to auto resize to 600x400?
I believe there is a way to auto-resize photos linked in threads, although I know some people don't prefer it. I will see about making that an option... I think I've seen it done elsewhere.

Originally Posted by syndr0me
I apologize if that sounded like a dig, I didn't mean it as such. Clearly there are limits. I think the site's design is just great, and extremely usable. There's a few quirks here and there, but it sounds like you know about them, and know what you're doing. :-) I just felt it was important to point out that as monitors get bigger, many people will run things in multiple windows rather than maximize everything. In this case, there's benefit of a design that can render properly in small windows regardless of the end user's resolution.

On an unrelated note, now that the "Welcome, username" box in the upper right contains private message counts, does that make displaying the PM info right below it superfluous?
One of the biggest hassles with modifying the style here really is the default vBulletin template. It has so many conditionals and so many random things in it that we will never use, but you kind of have to "play nice" with it to make sure nothing gets broken in the overall process. There are definitely some problems but hopefully we'll get them resolved over time.

Regarding the PM box, I actually am going to re-do that entire bar to include some additional info, just haven't had the chance yet.

Originally Posted by J.Filipow
The problem with 'RC style' (design) is that most of it just plain SUCKS. (I think Robert Ibon/Upgrade is the only person who is doing any decent graphic design in this industry).
My main desire for this site was somethin that looked different from everywhere else. Not just another fancy looking font-ish logo with an RC car stuck in it. I'm glad people are opinionated about the "look" of the site now... it means we did something right.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Just wanted to say thanks to Shane and his crew for giving us this forum.

I too was startled by the new logo when I first saw it but I kinda think its cool now, alittle retro and thats good.

To J.Filipow,

Maybe you could design a R/C vehicle of some type below the TECH part of the logo. That way the "feel" or look is the same but we kind of have a symbol of a rc vehicle which is what this site is all about after all. This is just a suggestion btw.

Steve
Old 06-04-2007, 02:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Anyone else's "Latest Electric On-Road Posts" section always empty?

All of the "Latest Posts" sections say none found for me.
Maybe its the end user!
Old 06-04-2007, 02:45 AM
R/C Tech Founder

Originally Posted by andrewdoherty

Maybe its the end user!
Where are you clicking/looking to see this? Not sure what part of the forum produces the page you are talking about. I'd like to check it out.

Thanks!
Old 06-04-2007, 04:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 81 (99%+)

Maybe its the end user!
I think he means on the home page. Mine does the same thing. All of the sections say "None found".

I uploaded a crop from a screen shot of what I see. I also noticed the ads on the top right are not loading on the home page, and it is well over due for a news update. Last one was 3/5/06.
Attached Thumbnails How cool is the new look!!!-rctechfrontpage.jpg  
Old 06-04-2007, 04:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by futureal
Where are you clicking/looking to see this? Not sure what part of the forum produces the page you are talking about. I'd like to check it out.

Thanks!
Its on the front page that displays. http://rctech.net
Old 06-04-2007, 04:42 AM
Tech Elite

Thats it blacktiger. How'd you get a screen shot with the old logo???

Ill take the software update over the news update for now
Old 06-04-2007, 05:05 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by andrewdoherty
Thats it blacktiger. How'd you get a screen shot with the old logo???

Ill take the software update over the news update for now
Screen capture the home page. (Alt + printscreen)

How cool is the new look!!!-old-rctech.jpg

Mine's the same, all empty
Old 06-04-2007, 05:46 AM
Tech Elite

I know how to screen capture silly goose! My screen capture shows the new logo though. Are you seeing the old or new logo when you log in?
Attached Thumbnails How cool is the new look!!!-untitled.jpg  
Old 06-04-2007, 06:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

hey syndwyder, what program is it you have for the weather on the toolbar?
Old 06-04-2007, 06:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

you can blame your old age or screen resolution, but maybe it's the GYMBEAM or jim beam....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.