Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mugen MTX-2

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2002, 12:13 AM
Tech Adept

sorry, this isn't contributing to your topic/issue, but i need some recommendation for tire selections for my MtX. I am going to be running the car at Crystal Park, Compton this Saturday, and I just want to know what rubber tires work there and what shore/color foam tires work well there. Thanks
Old 01-18-2002, 08:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by porkybmx
sorry, this isn't contributing to your topic/issue, but i need some recommendation for tire selections for my MtX. I am going to be running the car at Crystal Park, Compton this Saturday, and I just want to know what rubber tires work there and what shore/color foam tires work well there. Thanks
I have tried yokomo 138G with firm insert, it works good.

Ellegi 40sh front and rear works great! you might be able to run 45sh front and 42sh rear! it should work too!
Old 01-18-2002, 11:04 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

OK,

Taking the Mugen off the shelf to get ready for racing this year....

What are the new "must have parts that came out over the off season"?

Thanks
Old 01-19-2002, 01:28 AM
Tech Master

Well........... I'm trying out the Kawahara Negative diff as soon as I get it in the mail. I'll let you guys know how that works out.

Also trying the Kawahara lowered engine mounts/smaller flywheel this weekend. I doubt i'll feel any difference but I just wanted someting to buy for my car since it's been stock(and doing very well thank you) for the past two years.

I also bought the Kawahara brake block/brace for it's looks and for the bearing support for the brake shaft.

I'm going to buy the front sway kit bar soon but I hope I don't screw up my dailed setup. Any tips on this.
Old 01-19-2002, 12:25 PM
Tech Adept

Got some new parts from Steve in Speedtech.

Karahara rar brace + mid block supports

I also got a centax clutch.

Had the MTX-2 out for the first time today & my local track.

The clutch seemed fine but would 'slip' now & then?

It just would not engage, I'd apply full brake, stop then blip the throttle & away we go again.

Then it would slip as I was blipping the throttle going around a tight turn no matter how high I'd bring the revs it would not engage but as above if I give full brake then blip the throttle off we go again! any thoughts?

Is this part of a running in period for a centax?

I only put two tanks through the car as the light was failing & Ireland's weather is not great at the moment, any moment!!

I've striped the centax & put a 'small' amount of HMP grease on the backside of the 4 clutch shoes.

I've also put some HMP grease on the thrust bearing.

Everything seems fine with the clutch inside & out.

I have the adjuster turned in about 1 1/2 threads onto the shaft is this a good starting point?

All the best
Old 01-19-2002, 01:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

sounds like it could be the one way and not the clutch.
Old 01-20-2002, 01:27 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by Motorman
sounds like it could be the one way and not the clutch.
Possibily. Dont ever lube the 2speed one way with thick type grease. this will hold up the rollers inside the oneway and will disable the one-way function now and then.

Besides, you dont really need to lube the flyweight of the centax as they are self lubricant. I would just keep the clutch clean.
Old 01-20-2002, 01:49 AM
Tech Adept

Hi Guys,

I'll check my two speed but it was working fine before I fitted the centax. I have not put any grease near my two speed.

So the word is do not put any grease on the centax flywheel weights. The four shoes do not need any help just keep them clean, is that what everybody else is doing?

All the best
Old 01-20-2002, 01:53 AM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by click, dublin
Hi Guys,

I'll check my two speed but it was working fine before I fitted the centax. I have not put any grease near my two speed.

So the word is do not put any grease on the centax flywheel weights. The four shoes do not need any help just keep them clean, is that what everybody else is doing?

All the best
that is what i do to my clutch but you still need to lube the trust bearing often.
Old 01-20-2002, 02:23 AM
Tech Addict

It just would not engage, I'd apply full brake, stop then blip the throttle & away we go again.

Then it would slip as I was blipping the throttle going around a tight turn no matter how high I'd bring the revs it would not engage but as above if I give full brake then blip the throttle off we go again! any thoughts?

This is exactly what happened when my oneway went so its a definte possibility - worst part is it doesn't happen all the time so its so its hard to diagnose - you could throw your old clutch back on and it may appear to work fine for a while but relly still be faulty.

you could borrow someone elses oneway to try or buy another one as its good to have a spare Though I had to buy the whole gear adapter with it
Old 01-20-2002, 01:10 PM
Tech Addict

Hi Guys,

All the best
I lube my thrust bearing before every run. I only lube the flywheel weights when I tear down the entire clutch for cleaning about every couple of months.
Old 01-20-2002, 01:16 PM
Tech Adept

Hi Guys,

As it happens I had a complete 2 speed as a spare.

I put on the new 2 speed & all seems fine now.

The one way you refer to, is that the roller pin bearing housed in the 47T gear?

Can you fix it or is it once its gone its gone?

Strange how things go wrong just when you attempt to do something else to the car! Murphy's Law!!!

So, what I've learnt from this is that one ways can go wrong intermittently which can confuse the hell out of you.

Many Thanks for your collective insights.

All the best
Old 01-20-2002, 04:52 PM
Tech Champion

Hi Guys,

As it happens I had a complete 2 speed as a spare.

I put on the new 2 speed & all seems fine now.

The one way you refer to, is that the roller pin bearing housed in the 47T gear?

Can you fix it or is it once its gone its gone?

Strange how things go wrong just when you attempt to do something else to the car! Murphy's Law!!!

So, what I've learnt from this is that one ways can go wrong intermittently which can confuse the hell out of you.

Many Thanks for your collective insights.

All the best
Learn lesson about the one-way on the layshaft. Never lube it nor clean it will make it live longer. If you really want to lube it, use very thin fluid based lube such as serpent one-way oil which is a very thin oil.
Old 01-20-2002, 06:03 PM
Tech Master

Has anyone had any problem with the adjustment nut on the Mugen centax tightening down by itself under load? The result is that the clutch doesn't engage. I had this happen twice today and ended up having to put loctite on it. This was the first time I've had my nitro cars out since November and I didn't see this at all last season. Pretty strange. Maybe it's too much hp from the new Collari engine!
Old 01-20-2002, 06:10 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by psycho
Has anyone had any problem with the adjustment nut on the Mugen centax tightening down by itself under load? The result is that the clutch doesn't engage. I had this happen twice today and ended up having to put loctite on it. This was the first time I've had my nitro cars out since November and I didn't see this at all last season. Pretty strange. Maybe it's too much hp from the new Collari engine!
Never have that happened before. Think that you should use the clutch spring for MRX 1/8 if your engine is so powerful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.