Wiki Posts
Search

ALTOONA RACEWAY FORUM

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 09:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OSR
Yes I agree Edward. The industry has changed as far as available cars and classes go. There are just too many and it makes it hard for race track owners to figure out what to do. Like I said , I wil race in the most competetive class there is. I'm not anti-nitro as long as there is enough fuelers and marshals in the pits and on the track.
i dont think there will be an issue with nitro 1/8 scale.
that was there biggest class this past summer.well it looks as if i better start getting the old 8 ready...should have plenty of time by spring.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

You know I traveled quite a bit this summer making my way around to tracks between PA and Virginia. The odd part of it is that Altoona and G's in Shippensburg appear to be the only ones that are having low turnouts on the nitro side. All the other tracks, we were lucky to find someone to run electric/slash with my youngest son. Lost Creek, Tiltyard, Reading, etc. are all pretty much nitro. All those tracks were running some brushless 1/8 scales with the nitros. G's has similar issues with fueling, etc.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:51 AM
OSR
Tech Fanatic

Default no onroad

Originally Posted by morris
mike,
do you still have your type-r?
if so you should come to richfield sometime with it.
as for motorama...that was a joke last year...dont know if i am down for another session like that again.
sold all my onroad stuff on ebay. I'm going to feel things out with Altoona as far as classes go and then I'll just run the most popular one.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OSR
sold all my onroad stuff on ebay. I'm going to feel things out with Altoona as far as classes go and then I'll just run the most popular one.
right...im the sameway man.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Altoona WAS seeing low turnouts prior to me taking over. We ALL know why that was. I can assure you, it had nothing to do with Nitro or Electric.

Now, we can begin fresh.

You will never catch me throwing my buggy, transmitter or allowing anything like that, to go on.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

As far as Nitro vs. Electric. I have listened to the feedback received, here in open forum and in PMs....

Here is how I will officially handle this:

1 E Buggy = no race
2 E buggies = 1 Race, no entry fee. Kinda like an exhibition thing
3 or more E buggies = Will run a regular race schedule for that class.

There will be NO E-buggies competing against Nitro: Pro, Sportsman or otherwise. There are way too many variables to make that fair. Batteries/how many and which ones, pitting/making them wait "x" seconds

Will I upset someone by this decision, probably. Will I stick with my decision, absolutely. I am certainly not trying to be a hardass, but firm rules need to be in place.

Moral of the story, if you want to race E buggy, talk your E buggy friends into coming to the Altoona Raceway. 3 of a class is not very difficult to do.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jmackani
The odd part of it is that Altoona and G's in Shippensburg appear to be the only ones that are having low turnouts on the nitro side. All the other tracks, we were lucky to find someone to run electric/slash with my youngest son.
G's was the bizarro world..... like down to E main of sct, and i was one of 6 or 7 1/8 buggies Great track though! I hope Altoona and G's do a series race together.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Tech Adept

Default slash 4x4

Originally Posted by Nighthawk
i'm gettin one reeaalllyy soon too! PE Edition

as for rules, i'd like to see PE spec trimed out, any tires you want (sct tires) allow steel axles when there avalible, and MUST run 3CELL LIPO!! HAHAHAHAHA
I would like to see stock tires only upgrade is from rtr tires to platnum tires and stay with 2cell lipo none of my friends nor myself have 3 cell lipos got 2much invested in 2 cells also no servo esc or motor rules basically only things spec is tires and 2cell lipo or 6 cell nimh
Old 01-11-2010, 03:41 PM
Tech Regular

I'm perfectly fine with Rob's decision. I know for sure there will be 3 or more E buggies at Altoona Raceway. I'll be one of them for sure soon. But I'm also keeping my nitro gear. My Grp only has 2 weekends on it anyways.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:48 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by robwike
Altoona WAS seeing low turnouts prior to me taking over. We ALL know why that was. I can assure you, it had nothing to do with Nitro or Electric.

Now, we can begin fresh.

You will never catch me throwing my buggy, transmitter or allowing anything like that, to go on.

You know I'll be out there more often soon. But anyways, do you know if the Hobbyshop behind Sheetz/Meadows is still open?
Old 01-11-2010, 04:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yes, Gene's is still open, but not like you remember. The store is half the size and the R/c stuff is in boxes. He still only deals with Traxxas and Duratrax.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:32 PM
OSR
Tech Fanatic

Default Rules

Originally Posted by robwike
As far as Nitro vs. Electric. I have listened to the feedback received, here in open forum and in PMs....

Here is how I will officially handle this:

1 E Buggy = no race
2 E buggies = 1 Race, no entry fee. Kinda like an exhibition thing
3 or more E buggies = Will run a regular race schedule for that class.

There will be NO E-buggies competing against Nitro: Pro, Sportsman or otherwise. There are way too many variables to make that fair. Batteries/how many and which ones, pitting/making them wait "x" seconds

Will I upset someone by this decision, probably. Will I stick with my decision, absolutely. I am certainly not trying to be a hardass, but firm rules need to be in place.

Moral of the story, if you want to race E buggy, talk your E buggy friends into coming to the Altoona Raceway. 3 of a class is not very difficult to do.
I agree 100%. If more people stuck to fair rules in todays society the world would be a better place to live.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:35 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by audio18man
I would like to see stock tires only upgrade is from rtr tires to platnum tires and stay with 2cell lipo none of my friends nor myself have 3 cell lipos got 2much invested in 2 cells also no servo esc or motor rules basically only things spec is tires and 2cell lipo or 6 cell nimh
I think with the 4wd SCT's that the word spec should be thrown out. SPEC was started to keep the cost down for competitive racing. I believe that once you move to the 4wd, the whole idea of keeping cost down is no longer the driving factor. Also, there are other vehicles coming out that will be in the same class as this. It's not just a slash anymore. OFNA and Jammin both have vehicles for this class. 4WD traction should not be an issue like it is with the 2wd versions also. So tires really are not a huge factor as much as the current classes. As we are seeing in touring cars, the esc is the major edge over the competition in the brushless world. You can have all the advantages, but crappy driving is not going to put a driver up front. Take Tom Stober, the guy could drive just about any vehicle and still be up front without all the hop-ups.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:05 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by jmackani
I think with the 4wd SCT's that the word spec should be thrown out. SPEC was started to keep the cost down for competitive racing. I believe that once you move to the 4wd, the whole idea of keeping cost down is no longer the driving factor. Also, there are other vehicles coming out that will be in the same class as this. It's not just a slash anymore. OFNA and Jammin both have vehicles for this class. 4WD traction should not be an issue like it is with the 2wd versions also. So tires really are not a huge factor as much as the current classes. As we are seeing in touring cars, the esc is the major edge over the competition in the brushless world. You can have all the advantages, but crappy driving is not going to put a driver up front. Take Tom Stober, the guy could drive just about any vehicle and still be up front without all the hop-ups.
you would be surprised the problems with traction in a 4x4 they still push through turns and rearends still get loose and it comes down to putting tracktion to ground you can have faster stuff but be slower and in terms of cost with coupons from suppliers you can get a 4x4 for a decent price also offroad with esc it is not as vital you can still spec certain things.it all comes down to what roar and track rules want
Old 01-11-2010, 05:33 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by audio18man
you would be surprised the problems with traction in a 4x4 they still push through turns and rearends still get loose and it comes down to putting tracktion to ground you can have faster stuff but be slower and in terms of cost with coupons from suppliers you can get a 4x4 for a decent price also offroad with esc it is not as vital you can still spec certain things.it all comes down to what roar and track rules want
I run a truggy and can tell you all those problems with a 4 wheel drive can be adjusted through ackerman, toe, camber, droop, ride height, shock dampening etc. to get the vehicle to handle and grip. Instead of working with these settings, many people immediately switch the tires. Roar rules do not mean anything to 90 percent of the local tracks out there. Places like Altoona, Bumps and Jumps, Richfield, G's, Reading, etc. are all doing fine without any ROAR rules and maintaining their own set. If anything, I believe the ROAR rules are not promoting the hobby much at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.