Wiki Posts
Search

Serpent to 1/10th EP Touring Kit S400

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 11:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mdoc
Im suprised that serpent hasnt done anything to fix that problem, the car has been out long enough now......
Hmmm...I've had 3 serpents and none have had such a pblm...however, when I have seen this before on Cyclones...and it was due to overtighetning the spur gear onto the spur adapter...If you screw it tight, it bends out of shape and it will wobble. Its not supposed to be tightened...just snugged in a bit...screw it in untill you feel a bit of resistance...that's all...

Just try a new Spur gear and carefully screwit in the adapter, but do not tighten it...
Old 01-03-2008, 11:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
Hmmm...I've had 3 serpents and none have had such a pblm...however, when I have seen this before on Cyclones...and it was due to overtighetning the spur gear onto the spur adapter...If you screw it tight, it bends out of shape and it will wobble. Its not supposed to be tightened...just snugged in a bit...screw it in untill you feel a bit of resistance...that's all...

Just try a new Spur gear and carefully screwit in the adapter, but do not tighten it...
I encountered that same problem with the kit gear. It seems as though a second set screw helps fix the problem somewhat.

-E
Old 01-03-2008, 02:57 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by yyhayyim

I'm really surprised to hear that you have had 3 Serpents yet not experienced the problem! Your the first person I have come across who hasn't. In fact, I know a fair amount of guys now who have stripped spurs because of it. Also, it's definately not as simple a problem as overtighting the spur to the holder.

I have now spent a fair bit of time trying to cure my 'wobble', and it's easy, drink less beer And, this is what I posted on another forum:

When you place the spurgear holder onto the layshaft, the screwheads of the carbon spur plate end up resting against the first pully and I'm sure this dosn't help, so I installed a 1mm x 4mm shim between the two. I also very carefully fitted the spurgear holder to the layshaft using 2No. M3 x 6 grub screws (make sure you hold the spur holder tight against the shim when you tighten up). The reason I used 2 is that the ID of the holder is larger than the OD of layshaft, using 2 grub screws opposite each other allows you the chance to rebalance this by getting the holder centrally located.

Another tip is to get rid of the standard 102t spur and replace it with a Tamiya item.

HTH

I would just like to add that I think the S400 is the easiest car to drive that I have ever owned, but, it is Serpent's first attempt at EP so you just know there will be issues, lets hope there listening and start doing something about it
Old 01-04-2008, 02:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I don't have that problem with my new S400. Im not sure why...but I don't notice any wobble.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I have talked to a few of the Serpent people in the US, and they have inferred that some new parts are being developed for some of the issues that have arisen. ( so they are listening )

The car really is suffering from being much more popular then was anticipiated. I am looking forward to a great '08 with the s400 as well as the other new products that are being worked on...

Originally Posted by terryh
I would just like to add that I think the S400 is the easiest car to drive that I have ever owned, but, it is Serpent's first attempt at EP so you just know there will be issues, lets hope there listening and start doing something about it
Old 01-05-2008, 12:22 PM
Tech Regular

just got done assembling my S400. This car went together very well and, in my opinion, has the same quality as my previous xray. Can't wait to run it!
Old 01-05-2008, 01:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Default serpent s400 front diff

Recently i have tried the rear diff in the front with good success for gym floor type track i had to try soemthing to eliminate the push effect the spool seems to produce, does anyone have any idea what oil to use in the rear with this set up?
Old 01-06-2008, 04:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

hi guys, i jus bought a S400 ...i jus run it 1 lap y'day n few laps today. it's a great car out of d box.

i change d standard spur to kawada 96. it's work perfect..
1 thing i nt get use is it's nt enuf steering for me..i jus migrate from HB to Serpent.

HB support is suck in my place thus make me migrate to serpent....bt i get more confident when using serpent to tackle corner than cyclone....

any1 of u have setting for low traction track ? i'm using LS250 bodyshell...
Old 01-06-2008, 04:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kschu
hi guys, i jus bought a S400 ...i jus run it 1 lap y'day n few laps today. it's a great car out of d box.

i change d standard spur to kawada 96. it's work perfect..
1 thing i nt get use is it's nt enuf steering for me..i jus migrate from HB to Serpent.

HB support is suck in my place thus make me migrate to serpent....bt i get more confident when using serpent to tackle corner than cyclone....

any1 of u have setting for low traction track ? i'm using LS250 bodyshell...
What surface are you running on? (Carpet-Rubber/Asphalt Rubber) I posted my set up on this forum a while back. I will hunt it down for you if you need it!!
Old 01-07-2008, 12:13 AM
Tech Elite

i running on asphalt - rubber.....i'm using sorex tyre with med insert. i few d car seem like nt enuf steering when entering corner n exit corner....

pls advise bro...
Old 01-07-2008, 06:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

i running on asphalt - rubber.....i'm using sorex tyre with med insert. i few d car seem like nt enuf steering when entering corner n exit corner....

pls advise bro...
Try going lower on your front oil or more holes open in the front shocks. Personally I like working on one end of the car at a time. If entry steering is the first concern lets tackle that one first. From your settings now try to soften the front first. Second if there is a sway bar on the front go to a softer one or remove it. Before I get to deep in the set up...Are you running a spool in the front or a oneway? If you have a spool in the car try changing that for a oneway before you do anything else. The car is pretty good out of the box for most conditions!! Going to a one way will increase on and off power steering!! Hope this helps!!
Old 01-07-2008, 04:49 PM
Tech Elite

i'm using spool right now.. i dun think i will change to one way for d time being cos i dun hv d budget yet. i will try softer spring. now my shock piston is 3 hole....front stabiliser bar i use d softer from cyclone.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

i'm using spool right now.. i dun think i will change to one way for d time being cos i dun hv d budget yet. i will try softer spring. now my shock piston is 3 hole....front stabiliser bar i use d softer from cyclone.
When you get the funds your answer will be in the one-way. It is a night and day difference!! I tried the spool and found that the one-way was ten times better!! Gives you tons of steering all around!!
Old 01-07-2008, 06:22 PM
Tech Regular

anyone drop one of the o-rings, or replace with different o-rings out of the stock shock configuration?
Old 01-08-2008, 08:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by XACDesigns
anyone drop one of the o-rings, or replace with different o-rings out of the stock shock configuration?
Shock inside foam need keep to change it to had more respond !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.