Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
the brushless  vs brushed debate >

the brushless vs brushed debate

the brushless vs brushed debate

Old 05-25-2007, 07:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default the brushless vs brushed debate

hey y'all:Are brushless motros that much faster than brushed motors or is brushless motors biggest benefit they are much easer to work on and maintain?Thanks for the info
Old 05-25-2007, 07:36 AM
Tech Elite

Race results in Europe and the UK over the last year sum it up - brushless dominates in open class.

It took a while for the tech to match brushed, now it has matched and surpassed it.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I would have to agree, that once guys learn the B/L motors...they are getting faster and faster. Although I have seen some guys bail on the mid range motors and go to the hotter ones to get there...personally I don't think they ever hit the right gearing with the mid range ones...and they would have probably gone just as fast.

Almost all of our MOD guys are now switching over...some of them don't want to give up their motor tinkering...but admit it so much sweeter to strap that motor in...instead of having to cut it...brush it...and play with it to make it fast.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:10 AM
Tech Adept

Normally I run brushless, but last wednesday I tested the whole day with a 7x1 brushed motor.
The guys with the brushless motors had much more power out of the corners.
Top speed was nearly no difference.....

Rob Janssen.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:59 AM
Tech Addict

i run a 10.5 in the 19t class. as far as "faster" goes, it's about even with a good 19t. as far as "quicker" though, i think BL gets around the track in less time. it's got more torque than brushed and doesn't have nearly the drag.

but for me it was ease of maintenance and reduced racing costs. the up-front cost is only a little bit more than a brushed motor, speedo, and a few sets of brushes and springs. the race day cost of brushless is basically nothing, the motor runs the same every run, and i have more time to focus on the chassis.
Old 05-25-2007, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RussB
i run a 10.5 in the 19t class. as far as "faster" goes, it's about even with a good 19t. as far as "quicker" though, i think BL gets around the track in less time. it's got more torque than brushed and doesn't have nearly the drag.

but for me it was ease of maintenance and reduced racing costs. the up-front cost is only a little bit more than a brushed motor, speedo, and a few sets of brushes and springs. the race day cost of brushless is basically nothing, the motor runs the same every run, and i have more time to focus on the chassis.
I've put all my brushed stuff back in my cars to start getting ready for the nationals, come on down tomorrow and I'll show you how I can SPANK you with brushed just as easily as I have been with brushless
Old 05-25-2007, 09:06 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by HarshGuy
I've put all my brushed stuff back in my cars to start getting ready for the nationals, come on down tomorrow and I'll show you how I can SPANK you with brushed just as easily as I have been with brushless
why are you e-stalking me? is this becasue clint is out of town?
Old 05-25-2007, 09:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well, since your main question is about speed.... the worlds fastest RC car (including nitro cars) is brushless. 134 MPH is the record I believe. And no maintainence to boot!
Old 05-25-2007, 09:29 AM
Tech Addict

the BL (stock/13.5) guys at my track got alot more pull out of the corners...top speed can be similar but...w/ the BL you can gear it higher... so the BL guys still pull away down the straights. my 2¢
Old 05-25-2007, 10:28 AM
Tech Master

Not just faster, but more efficient. When they do the 24 hour enduros, they line up brushless motors and you may have one entry that uses brushed. Just think about that...24 hour run, slap a motor in, no break in, no brush cut, no timing to adjust, no hung brushes, uneven brush wear, no comms to cut, no lathes, no extra anything. I dont know why guys who arent sponsored are holding on to a losing battle. If you arent a factory dude that gets motors in droves to tinker with, then why go through all the hassle? Soldering brushes, adjusting timing and spring rates, brush break in, less run time, comm sticks. Just the list alone is low speed and high drag.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

If brushless is allowed....it can be geared up taller (faster) and more torque...in any spec (13.5 10.5 and 4.5 3.5...etc)
But most national races are still under BRUSHED motor rules except MOD and Novak Race...
Old 05-25-2007, 10:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RussB
why are you e-stalking me?
Because I can.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

the big "difference" is in their efficiency, not speed... that's why the europeans use them. they run 5 cell and need the runtime...
Old 05-25-2007, 11:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Brushes are for cleaning. J/K Unless you got a lot of free time, stick with brushless whenever possible.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I don't anybody that has willingly switched back to brushed after running brushless more then 5 minutes. What is there to debate? Better, better, and more better. Mixing the 13.5 with 27T is going to be a touchy subject until the stock guys finally let go and just get on with it.

Try it and you won't go back.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.