Wiki Posts
Search

the brushless vs brushed debate

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 01:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sportpak
I don't anybody that has willingly switched back to brushed after running brushless more then 5 minutes. What is there to debate? Better, better, and more better. Mixing the 13.5 with 27T is going to be a touchy subject until the stock guys finally let go and just get on with it.

Try it and you won't go back.
Yes, and that's only because of a minor issue where the 13.5 brushless doesn't match a 27T brushed motor power identically. Brushless technology itself, is no doubt better. I don't think there is much of a debate left when it comes to the different technologies. It just going to take some time for everyone to transition over to brushless. And that will undoubtably add some minor headaches. But it's to be expected. Some people don't like change. The best news is, brushless is certainly better for new racers getting into the hobby. It can take years of learning how to be a good brushed tuner, and that is all a non issue with brushless. New racers can put in the brushless motor, forget about it, and focus on setting up the car and learning to drive.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default Brushed vs Brushless

It really depends on the track you run on... For example if the track is tight to medium with a few stop/start corners then there are some advances with running brushless. However if the track is open and high speed, then brushed can compete quite well. Also, brushless certainly have improved there smoothness in forward acceleration, but there is still a bit of work to do on the smoothness of the brakes on them. Purest might also suggest that one of the advantages of Brushed is the linear consistent feel they have to aid better driving.... Just a thought....
Old 05-25-2007, 04:00 PM
Tech Regular

I have yet to get a brushless 13.5 and esc, however 27t "stock" motor manufacturers painted themselves into a corner a long time ago. What we have now is a grossly inefficient little hotboxes we call "stock" motors. IMHO they should have gone to BBs, larger brushes, less timing(5-10 degrees) and a slightly hotter wind to compensate for the lack of timing. If you want to see what a good brushed motor looks like, have a look at an AFI 05 cobalt. Of course we also have ROAR to thank for our current brushed 27t "stock" motor dilemma. I hope when we get some decent racing in our area we can run brushless. I live 15 miles north of Horizon Hobby/ Great Planes/Hobbico and there is virtually no racing! Don
Old 05-25-2007, 04:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HarshGuy
Because I can.
You're TOAST tomorrow!
Old 05-25-2007, 04:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Advil
You're TOAST tomorrow!
Wheat without edges, lightly brown, lots of butter and peach jam please.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

In my opinion, there really isn't any merit for a debate between brushless and brushed motors.

Brushless wins hands down. Minimal maintenance. Consistent motor performance. Very efficient. Greater value/cheaper in the long run.

If you're still using brushed, just go and get brushless (and get a Novak). Gear it properly and you'll see the light and understand when people say "You'll never go back!"
Old 05-25-2007, 06:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jobo_ph
In my opinion, there really isn't any merit for a debate between brushless and brushed motors.

Brushless wins hands down. Minimal maintenance. Consistent motor performance. Very efficient. Greater value/cheaper in the long run.

If you're still using brushed, just go and get brushless (and get a Novak). Gear it properly and you'll see the light and understand when people say "You'll never go back!"
...unless you're running stock or 19T at a ROAR Nationals
Old 05-25-2007, 07:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i just started running a 13.5-Pro last weekend in a HB Cyclone. overall, it was so smooth it felt slower than a CO27, but the laps were faster. due to the lo-gearing (32/72 48pitch) i have to run with the BL stock, it doesn't break traction when punching the throttle like a brushed stock like the CO27.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Wow...!!

I wonder if the ROAR Prez. reads these threads...?

Maybe we should just creat our own organization..!

"BTL" Brushless Touring League".. Just like thay have in oval.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:55 PM
Tech Elite

brushless is better .
Old 05-25-2007, 09:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Brushless is better hands down but I think there is something to be said for tinkering with your motor.I race r/c and real cars I tinker with both motors. "real racing" you have to play with your motor a bunch.To me racing all about tinkering with your car that includes the motor.Plus right now if you want to run stock at any major event more then likely your going to be running brushed.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:10 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

It's really not much of a debate anymore, it it? :-\

As long as we don't go to 5 cell, brushed motors will still be plenty viable for mod racing, for those that still want to use them. In stock and 19T, though, where all the club racing action happens, it's pretty clear the people want brushless, as evidenced by the 13.5 and 10.5 popularity.

We really need some hard rules to follow for 13.5 and 10.5 classes so other companies can start designing motors, and get in on the game.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
We really need some hard rules to follow for 13.5 and 10.5 classes so other companies can start designing motors, and get in on the game.
This is being worked on. ROAR and all the motor manufactueres are working on 13.5 and 10.5 rules right now
Old 05-25-2007, 10:18 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
This is being worked on. ROAR and all the motor manufactueres are working on 13.5 and 10.5 rules right now
That's great news Adrian, thanks! That truly seems like the final barrier toward getting brushless classes (other than mod) going at big races.

Anybody looking for a nearly new Cobra lathe with a diamond bit? :-D
Old 05-25-2007, 10:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sportpak
I don't anybody that has willingly switched back to brushed after running brushless more then 5 minutes. What is there to debate? Better, better, and more better. Mixing the 13.5 with 27T is going to be a touchy subject until the stock guys finally let go and just get on with it.

Try it and you won't go back.
I tried it and did not like the feel of it and went back to Brushed. We had a 4300 BL series in offroad here and I bought all the necessary epuipment, but just did not like the feel of it. Plus I can't use it at IIC for stock, so why bother. When it becomes the norm along with Lipo, I will then go to it. If you are just getting into the hobby and have run nothing but BL from the beginning, then you will naturally like it. I would also like it better if they could get the speedo down to about the size of a GTX. The GTB is just freakin huge!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.