Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wining Driving Style

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 01:53 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks CS,
So I believe I need more practise on doing that consistently..I did watch a rc competition last weekend, most of them slide entering corner after a straight line and than punch.. but I notice most of them not overspin - but understeer instead. Should I set my car to understeer for playing slide at end of corner ???
Old 05-06-2003, 02:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by esham
Thanks CS,
So I believe I need more practise on doing that consistently..I did watch a rc competition last weekend, most of them slide entering corner after a straight line and than punch.. but I notice most of them not overspin - but understeer instead. Should I set my car to understeer for playing slide at end of corner ???
I think the slide way of entering corner is wrong......
because you need to control the speed & at the same time the steering...... which I have tried b4, and I found that break , turn , accelerate is still the best way.... another way of doing is 1/2 or rapid rav. no break and turn, but make sure the speed is correct, if not you will be going to big the corner.....
Old 05-07-2003, 11:13 PM
Tech Adept

HI Cs Lo & esham,
I'm from M'sia too. Do you guys joining 11th May race at Shah Alam? That will be my 1st race after 5 months in RC thingy. Hopefully it will not turn out worst than esham 1st race experience.
Old 05-07-2003, 11:25 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by patricktoh
HI Cs Lo & esham,
I'm from M'sia too. Do you guys joining 11th May race at Shah Alam? That will be my 1st race after 5 months in RC thingy. Hopefully it will not turn out worst than esham 1st race experience.
Trust me, anything bad that can happen will happen Especially if it's your first race... That's Murphy's law. You will make all the silly mistakes you think you could not make on race day. Been there

Not to discourage you or anything but what should be said is since this is to be your first race, try to pick up and learn as much as you can. That is the only way to progress and don't let the first race experience put you down. The only way to keep getting experiences and learning is to participate in races. Good luck and good racing
Old 05-08-2003, 12:35 AM
Tech Adept

InitialD,
I'm prepared for the worst. See you there.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:50 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: 180° Cornering technique

180° Degree cornering after a straight speed line required me to brake on the staright line before corner and than make a turn. But how is my punching should be ( rev). I notice if I punch /rev frequently during cornering the car tend to turn/spin abit sharp compaare with long punch on the corner. Which is better? Or effective way ?
Just think about what would happen if you were driving a car and blipping the accelerator. This would cause the to sway back and forth (while also swaying in the opposite direction that you are steering). That is what happens when you blip the throttle in a corner with your rc car. As you accelerate, the car wants to understeer, and when you are letting off, your car wants to oversteer. But in our RC cars, we have so much power that when we accelerate in corners we of can lose traction (causing oversteer) because we are overpowering the tires' grip.
When you are in a corner, you usually set the car up so that you have maximum cornereing traction, and if you blip the throttle, the power exerted to the tires, and the chassis movement, could upset the traction the tire has. So it breaks traction a little and the car becomes a little bit looser; possibly causing oversteer.

However, while in most situations I try to to very smooth with my throttle input, it is sometimes beneficial to blip the throttle in a corner. if you want your car to steer a little tighter to the corner, you can blip the throttle. Or if you come into the corner to hot, and it is long, you can blip the throttle so that it has a little more steering while still keeping its cornering speed up to relatively normal speeds.

Onroad, the less you need to blip the throttle the better (IMO). There is only so much traction a tire has, and the less you spend on cornering means you have more for going forward (and obviously faster) in a corner. (*with breaking tires loose through oversteer and understeer being examples of exceeding the amount of traction availible, leaving no more to be put into more cornering or forward traction*).

Dissidents (will be punished j/k) can tell me if I've missed, overlooked or totally misunderstood anything.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by patricktoh
HI Cs Lo & esham,
I am not going as I am from Penang.... too far... may be next time.... but a few of my friends are going

Tell you something...
I am learning a trick ....... to win ....
PATIENT ..... PATIENT ...... DRIVE YOUR STYLE ...... THAT MAKE A FASTER LAP AFTER ALL .....

Good racing & best of luck
Old 05-08-2003, 03:13 AM
Tech Elite

Default 3rd Race for me coming up

Guys, This weekend i will going for my 3rd races at Kuala Kangsar, Perak. My 2nd was at Ipoh Stadium Perak, Malaysia. A technical problem in organizing make me unable to paticipate in 1st Heat but ok for 2nd Heat.

2nd Heat was interesting, as you know everthing already tighten up and secure so I push maximum. But I forgot to change tires make it unsmooth cornering - oversteer abit not much ( not every corner) But bad luck for me on 14th lap somebody knock me from side to the on/off switch of mine the switch turn to off with the throttle open.

My car run wild and go straight line - uncontrol like rocket smash the corner board. Everbody rushing to catch my car Quit emmbarssing and the result - My front bumper option part broken.. Therest other part secure

What a experiences... so this coming Sunday... Hopefully nothing silly happen..
Old 05-08-2003, 03:27 AM
Tech Master

Default Re: 3rd Race for me coming up

...bad luck for me on 14th lap somebody knock me from side to the on/off switch of mine the switch turn to off with the throttle open.

My car run wild and go straight line - uncontrol like rocket smash the corner board. Everbody rushing to catch my car Quit emmbarssing and the result - My front bumper option part broken.. Therest other part secure

What a experiences... so this coming Sunday... Hopefully nothing silly happen..
Throttle return spring.

if you look on RC Car action's web page, they show a little lexan widget used by Joel Johnson to prevent the switch from turning off. It is near the bottom of the page.
Old 05-08-2003, 05:32 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks, yeah i did saw that and in process making it..
Old 05-08-2003, 08:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: 3rd Race for me coming up

But bad luck for me on 14th lap somebody knock me from side to the on/off switch of mine the switch turn to off with the throttle open.

Actually you can avoid this happen by taking away the on/off switch, and just change it to a manual slot on/off when ever you need it.

I have change the original on/off swith to a KO battery checker switch, so no problem for me....
Old 05-08-2003, 08:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: Re: 3rd Race for me coming up

Originally posted by Im2lazy
Throttle return spring.

if you look on RC Car action's web page, they show a little lexan widget used by Joel Johnson to prevent the switch from turning off. It is near the bottom of the page.
Im2lazy

I have been trying to fix a throttle return spring on my novarossi 5s, but it seem there is no place for it, you mind telling me how do you put the spring ??
Old 05-08-2003, 08:30 PM
Tech Elite

Default Throttle return spring.

CS Lo;

If you use the Losi kit, it comes with 2 Springs and Brackets. Bend the Bracket in the middle at 90 deg, then use one of the Servo mounting screws to hold it. Drill a small hole in the Servo arm for the hooking Spring to and connect everything together. If you need more tension, cut the Spring and re-bend the end.
Old 05-08-2003, 10:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I think Being smooth and consistant is the best way to drive. If you practice enough you will get there. My driving style, smooth on throttle, smooth off throttle. Steering is smooth in and out as well. It takes disipline to do this. When you race nothing but modified electric touring cars and really peppy nitro mod sedans you need to learn to control your finger. Just try and take the smoothest lien that you can carry speed. Most of the time just do what you feel you are most comfortable with, and thats what you can learn on. Then, fine tune your car to your driving style and you are on your way to some good laps. practice, practice, practice

-Sushi Boy
Old 05-08-2003, 11:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: Throttle return spring.

Originally posted by popsracer
CS Lo;

If you use the Losi kit, it comes with 2 Springs and Brackets. Bend the Bracket in the middle at 90 deg, then use one of the Servo mounting screws to hold it. Drill a small hole in the Servo arm for the hooking Spring to and connect everything together. If you need more tension, cut the Spring and re-bend the end.
Popsracer :-
do you have a pic to show us here ?

FYI I am driving a V1RR with a novarossi 5s powerplant.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.