Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have some questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 07:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Have some questions...

I wanna get an electric tc3 but i dont know what any of the numbers mean... ive been doing nitro since december... wanna get a descent electric one... So can any one explain all the numbers with motors, turns, winds, etc. What is mod and what is stock... And about escs... what is timing, whats a good esc... i heard lrp is the best... what are good batteries to get and what do all the numbers for batteries mean, Matched/Unmatched whats the difference? Do you need tonz of pinions cause i see electric guys at the track with like 10-20 of them... and they usually have quite a few motors... what is brushless do? ETC basicly everything...

Any help would be apreciated...
Old 04-15-2003, 07:50 PM
Tech Addict

Phew! Thats some question. I'll post a brief answer but suggest you use the search function on this forum to find some more detail.

So can any one explain all the numbers with motors, turns, winds, etc........

Basically the less turns (number of wraps of wire) the faster the motor will be. Faster = more wear and therefore more maintainance. Winds refers to whether there is a single thick wire used or two or more thinner strands, differend winds deliver the power differently.

What is mod and what is stock...

Stock is a regulated type of motor, 27 Turns and fixed timing, mod is any other faser motor.

And about escs...

You get what you pay for! for low turn motors you need a better esc.

what is timing.....

You can rotate or 'time' a mod motor by rotating the endbell.

whats a good esc... i heard lrp is the best...

LRP are good so are a lot of other brands.

what are good batteries to get and what do all the numbers for batteries mean, Matched/Unmatched whats the difference?

Most batteries are similar, all made by a few manufacturers and backaged by other companies. Matched means the numbers of each of the cells are ....matched. The #s refer to the average voltage of the cell over a period of discharge at a set rate, usually 20 - 30 Amps.

Do you need tonz of pinions cause i see electric guys at the track with like 10-20 of them... and they usually have quite a few motors...

Different gearing is required for different motors and tracks, if you have one motor and allways race at the same track you will not need as many.

what is brushless do?

Newtype of motor, expensive but zero maintainance, not yet legal for most race meetings.
Old 04-16-2003, 12:59 AM
Tech Elite

Exclamation Important !

Get a good charger from the very beginning.

This will ensure longer battery life and give you more speed.

Minimum requirements: Peak detection, NiMh compatible and at least 6 amps charge rate. Preferable with adjustable charge rate and adjustable delta voltage cut off.

You cant go wrong with LRP, but as already stated, there are several others with are good / better.
Old 04-16-2003, 11:29 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Important !

Originally posted by Cole Trickle
Get a good charger from the very beginning.

This will ensure longer battery life and give you more speed.

Minimum requirements: Peak detection, NiMh compatible and at least 6 amps charge rate. Preferable with adjustable charge rate and adjustable delta voltage cut off.

You cant go wrong with LRP, but as already stated, there are several others with are good / better.
Yes CT is right, get the best charger you can afford strait off the bat. I went the cheap route first and all it did was leave me $40 out of pocket.
Old 04-16-2003, 02:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Already got that covered... i have a Millennium And an N-Power supply for my reciever packs... (had some xtra cash at the time... only cost 125... mainly got it for the npower but the millenium is more than good enough for reciever packs...) but if i ever really get into electric cars i wanna get the Pulsar...