Wiki Posts
Search

20 Minute Electric Main Li-Po Truck Class

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 07:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default lipo charging 8000 mah?

would it hurt the max amps 8000 lipo if i charged it at 5AMPS with the triton JR ? I'm not sure if charging at lower than 1C will harm or shorten the life of the batt.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

actually it is probly better to charge it at a lower charge rate.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:34 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by party_wagon
actually it is probly better to charge it at a lower charge rate.
Yea! What he said!

Please balance the MaxAmps every charge. I switched this year from Thunder Power batteries to MaxAmps and I did notice you do have to stay on top of them often or they will get out of balance alot easier than the TPs. I will say that MaxAmps 8000 has more runtime in it than an 8000 mah TP battery that is sort of like the MaxAmps is really 8400 mahs but listed as an 8000.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default Craps

Craps...

I have seen you post a lot locally and I am seriously considering getting back into electric offroad. So I thought I might see what your thoughts are as I think you are local to the carolinas racing.

Anyway, will you be racing at Jon Martin's new Carolina's RC indoor facility?
It looks awesome BTW!

What do you think will be a good regular class?
I will qualify that question with I am interested in 2WD truck with either a Novak 13.5 (I.E. Stock) or 10.5 (I.E. 19T/4300) and will probably use either the Orion Platinum 4800 or MaxAmps 6000HV battery.
Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I live in Clayton NC (near Raleigh) and usually race 1/8th gas offroad in Wilson at Thunder Alley. I also race some TC down at Rosewood in/near Golsboro and LiPo/BL is the only thing that has kept me interested in the class.

I just don't want to make the investment in another RC vehicle that will be a shelf queen and Charlotte will be a bit of a haul; but I am willing to try and make it out every other weekend or so and maybe I can get another person or two to share the cost of getting there and back.
Are there any places that run outdoors in NC/SC that may be within a reasonable driving distance from Raleigh?

Don't want to give away my age, but I have gone from Grasshopper to RC10 goldtub to JRX2 to RC10 Stealth (blacktub) to various multiple Losi X vehicles to nitro... now I would like to get back to electric because LiPo and BL have certainly made my TC experience more enjoyable; I am hoping for the same results with offroad.

Sorry for the long post.

-Tim
Old 11-11-2007, 07:41 AM
Tech Adept

The normal charge rate for a 8000mAh pack at 1C is 8 amps, so anything there or below should not harm the pack in any way. I have heard of some people charging at 2C, however I would not do this, this can cause problems with the pack.

With the LiMgn packs from apogee I have used 2C without problems, but I only did that because I was running 1 pack per class, and Apogee claimed it was OK to do. I did not have any issues at all, and this year I have 2 packs per class. So back to 1C for me.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:42 AM
Tech Adept

I have a pretty good idea of your age , I also messed around with the grasshopper, Frog, Tamiya Thundershot ect.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:28 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by slakr
Craps...

I have seen you post a lot locally and I am seriously considering getting back into electric offroad. So I thought I might see what your thoughts are as I think you are local to the carolinas racing.

Anyway, will you be racing at Jon Martin's new Carolina's RC indoor facility?
It looks awesome BTW!

What do you think will be a good regular class?
I will qualify that question with I am interested in 2WD truck with either a Novak 13.5 (I.E. Stock) or 10.5 (I.E. 19T/4300) and will probably use either the Orion Platinum 4800 or MaxAmps 6000HV battery.
Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I live in Clayton NC (near Raleigh) and usually race 1/8th gas offroad in Wilson at Thunder Alley. I also race some TC down at Rosewood in/near Golsboro and LiPo/BL is the only thing that has kept me interested in the class.

I just don't want to make the investment in another RC vehicle that will be a shelf queen and Charlotte will be a bit of a haul; but I am willing to try and make it out every other weekend or so and maybe I can get another person or two to share the cost of getting there and back.
Are there any places that run outdoors in NC/SC that may be within a reasonable driving distance from Raleigh?

Don't want to give away my age, but I have gone from Grasshopper to RC10 goldtub to JRX2 to RC10 Stealth (blacktub) to various multiple Losi X vehicles to nitro... now I would like to get back to electric because LiPo and BL have certainly made my TC experience more enjoyable; I am hoping for the same results with offroad.

Sorry for the long post.

-Tim
If you get the truck you can race pretty much anywhere around here using the 2wd truck. I raced in Rock Hill, SC yesterday and Pro Truck was the largest class with a "B" main.

Next weekend (11/17) we will be the only electric class racing at the Farm that was the track where this years ROAR Gas Truck Nats were ran and next year the IFMAR World's 1/8th scale Buggy World Championship. We should have enough for a "B" main there also with 15 trucks in a heat at a time.

I will predict on the weekends at CarolinasRC indoor track will have a "C" and "D" main in Pro Truck.

I will recommend getting a little more motor so you can race outdoors with it. A 10.5 will be perfect on the indoor track because it is small, but maybe a 8.5 or 7.5 will be a little more versatile allowing you to be more competitive on the outdoor tracks too. The 6000 mah li-po should very easily give you at least 20 minutes of run time even with a 7.5 motor. I perfer a 7.5 motor and there is some guys who perfer a 5.5 motor that I think is too much.

Come join us and have some FUN!
Old 11-11-2007, 11:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

JMartins track will be off the chain, that is for sure. Stock truck will be big (13.5) and so will protruck. I would get the GTB 13.5 combination to start off with and get a 6.5 later on. I would get the Maxamps battery pack, (Jon sells these also) and be ready to role.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:43 PM
Tech Master

Novak 6.5/7.5 "L" or "R"

The only BL motor I have ever used is the SS13.5 Pro... in my TC.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

The 7.5 will deliver about like a 13 turn mod, its a good transistion from nitro truck too. If you are used to lower turn mod then maybe go with the 6.5. You want the version with the sintered rotor.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:11 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by party_wagon
The 7.5 will deliver about like a 13 turn mod, its a good transistion from nitro truck too. If you are used to lower turn mod then maybe go with the 6.5. You want the version with the sintered rotor.
I have never driven electric modified or gas truck. Just stock electric and 1/8 gas buggy/truggy. All the SS Pro series motors have the sintered rotor as do the Velocity Light "L" and Race "R" series motors. I think the only ones still with a bonded rotor are the EX Sport series.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:37 PM
Tech Master

The Novak Velociti Light series motor is not out yet, but it should available soon. It is suppose to be softer on the throttle on the bottom end and is also a lighter motor. I am waiting to get mine soon.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Craps
The Novak Velociti Light series motor is not out yet, but it should available soon. It is suppose to be softer on the throttle on the bottom end and is also a lighter motor. I am waiting to get mine soon.
Novak site says you can get 'em

http://www.shopatron.com/product/par...96.25565.0.0.0
Old 11-11-2007, 08:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I use to run a 5.5 but have switch to a 7.5 and like it alot better.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by slakr
You are exactly right and mine are on the way to me from Novak as we speak.

Can't wait to try the light series motors that are suppose to be softer throttle on the bottom end.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.