Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 02:52 PM
Tech Regular

Unhappy Help! tamiya msc.

OK, I noticed after I had bought a mod motor and it came that the tamiya tl-01 msc can't handle mod motors. i also noticed that on flat circiut on the wire going to the motor gets hot and shuts down the motor. I came to the conclusion that I have 3 choices, 1 if i can do this please tell me is to take off the circiut, 2 I can buy a p2k2 pro, and 3 I could save up and buy an esc, but I can't seem to find a reversible new for $30 wich is the most I can curently spend.

Last edited by traxxasdude; 04-14-2003 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-14-2003, 03:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Just get a P2K2PRO or a MONSTER PRO. Do not bother trying to mod the motor or esc. Save some money and get a good reversible speedo. Unfortunately you will have to put abot $100 with the $30 you have to get one to handle a good mod motor.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-14-2003, 03:19 PM
Tech Elite

mechanical speed controlers really are something that should be banished to history, companies like tamiya could supply a cheap esc capable of handling stock motors for very little more with their kits. As for your problem you are best trying to change the mod motor for a stock, a MSC will never handle a mod motor. You should also desperatly try and get enough for a esc, I know it will be hard to find the money if you're young but it makes a huge difference, you get more run time because mechaincal speed controls are incredibly innefficient and driving is made easier because you get a much smoother power curve, instead of a few steps, top speed will be better too. A cheap ESC will only be rated to somthing like 19T and even then you're best sticking to 20T or slower, a good stock motor will be as fast as most motors in this range. You could try and find one second hand, maybe someone racing at a local club has moved on from their cheap esc to a better one. Good luck.
Old 04-14-2003, 03:33 PM
Tech Regular

well if my rustler with a esc works with my orion mach 2 mod why won't my tamiya msc work with a mod?
Old 04-14-2003, 03:45 PM
Tech Elite

if you have a rustler with an esc can you not secure it with velcro and swap it between cars? a mechanical speedo uses resistance to control power, resistance is the enemy of rc racers. The high reisistance you get from the sliding contacts cuases a lot of heat and this can deform the mechanism so it no longer stays in contact, until it cools down again. A esc takes the power you call for when you apply throttle and thats all, a mechanical speedo takes all the power it can get from the cells all the time and burns of what you don't call for by turning it into heat, a huge waste of power.
Old 04-14-2003, 03:49 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Originally posted by traxxasdude
well if my rustler with a esc works with my orion mach 2 mod why won't my tamiya msc work with a mod?
A mechanical speed control simply is not equipped to handle a strong motor, let alone a mod motor.

You really should just save up for awhile and get an ESC for the car. As people have said, mechanical speed controls just don't cut it at all.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:01 PM
Tech Regular

sorry I meant to say my rustler has a msc
Old 04-14-2003, 05:11 PM
Tech Regular

just bid on duratrax sprint with reverse is it any good new?
Old 04-14-2003, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

It is a good choice as long as you dont plan on doing any serious racing.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:25 PM
Tech Regular

why isn't it good for racing, and could you please answer my question well if my rustler with a msc works with my orion mach 2 mod why won't my tamiya msc work with a mod?
Old 04-14-2003, 05:33 PM
Tech Regular

and most importantly will it work with my mod motor
Old 04-14-2003, 05:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Not sure why that msc works better than another, but like everyone has said, an ESC is well worth it even if you cannot see why now. It is better to save up for one than to buy new motors, because in general, most esc's will last a lot longer than any motor.
Old 04-14-2003, 05:56 PM
Tech Regular

well can the duratrax sprint work with a mod motor?
Old 04-14-2003, 06:35 PM
Tech Regular

you know how I bid, and all auctions have a end and I might not be at home when it ends and I want to sleep good knowing my money is about to be spent well and so what I'm trying to tell you is will you please help me.
Old 04-14-2003, 08:17 PM
Tech Elite

I've no idea of the specs of the esc you bid on, if it's cheap then I doubt it will handle anything more than 19T, if it's normally not the lowest spec of the range than it may go upto 14T or something in that region. It's still worth it if it only handles slower mod motors, for street running on a budget like I suspect you do then a stock motor is the best idea, it will run longer and require a lot less maintanence. As you've said your msc can't handle a mod motor anyway. If you have one in your other car and a mod motor then the mod can't be a low wind motor, msc's just can't handle the high current draw, simple as that. Low end esc's also can't handle high current draw but they do offer more run time, more controlability and more speed. Going out and bidding on the first thing you see on ebay is also not a very good idea, try doing some research first, especially when you say money is tight, spend it wisely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.