Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Calling all speed control experts.............. >

Calling all speed control experts..............

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Calling all speed control experts..............

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 08:25 PM
Tech Master

Default Calling all speed control experts..............

Guys, i have an older Tekin G-12c III that i think is now dead. Today i drug along my piece o junk TC3 to the track today to run while my Serpent was charging. The speedo ran at the track but power seemed WAY down. Also, it's as if a battery acted like it dumped in two minutes. (they were fully charged older packs that are pretty used up but still work) Now it will send NO power to the motor. Changed motor, still not working. Steering servo still works so i know power is getting to speedo. Put different speed control into car and motor that was in car originally will run. I put a voltmeter at the terminating posts on the speedo and NO voltage is seen with throttle on or off. Is this speedo a goner? Is it even worth fixing since it's probably 10 years old or older? Trash can it? .................Thanks Matt............
Old 05-12-2007, 10:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Make completely sure you are using a fully charged battery pack that is in decent shape before you condemn the ESC.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:17 AM
Tech Master

-motor will run another speed control that i installed, so battery not an issue.?????
Old 05-13-2007, 07:38 AM
Tech Addict

Maybe, probably, could be. You can't assume with 100% certaintly that two different speed controllers will operate the same way with weak batteries. I got the feeling from your description of the batteries that they may not be trusted to give more than 2 minutes of run time. I'd just hate to have you overlook the obvious when all the time its your batteries.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I would guess the speedo would be bad. It most likely blew out some fets.
After you have made sure the speedo has been setup correctly, an ez way to test it is with a volt meter. Measure the voltage at the battery. Then while you are on the throttle, measure the voltage at the motor. If it is MUCH lower, you likely have a bad speedo.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:32 AM
Team Tekin

Matt,

Visit us at http://www.teamtekin.com/service.html and fill out a service request form, put down TY as your RA# and we'll be happy to figure out what is wrong with it and repair it for you.

The G12 is an awesome ESC, don't deem it condemned!

Ty
Old 05-13-2007, 08:47 AM
V12
Tech Elite

First I would try a new radio/speedcontrol setup, maybe there is something wrong here. Also check if the LED show correct function at full throttle position.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by V12
First I would try a new radio/speedcontrol setup, maybe there is something wrong here. Also check if the LED show correct function at full throttle position.
-as stated, tried a different Tekin speedo and everything works as normal.........
Old 05-13-2007, 01:30 PM
Tech Master

-Just replaced the receiver plug and now she's working again. Hey TY, what would happen if the "signal" white wire/connection is bad at the receiver? I assume the speedo would act like it has power from the battery but would not be able to receive an "on" comand from the receiver?...Correct or no? Make sense since the steering servo still worked?
Old 05-13-2007, 07:17 PM
Team Tekin

If the white wire is not connected or shorted, the ESC sees no pulse signal from the receiver, thus it would seem dead. I would say there was a problem with the original plug. You replaced the whole thing, wires and all? Or just the plastic plug? If just the plastic plug was changed and it fixed the problem, I'd say you have some kind of short/loose connection in there.

Glad you figured it out!
Old 05-13-2007, 09:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TY@TEAMTEKIN
If the white wire is not connected or shorted, the ESC sees no pulse signal from the receiver, thus it would seem dead. I would say there was a problem with the original plug. You replaced the whole thing, wires and all? Or just the plastic plug? If just the plastic plug was changed and it fixed the problem, I'd say you have some kind of short/loose connection in there.

Glad you figured it out!
- i didn't replace the wires all the way back. i just cut off the plug and about inch of wire and soldered on a spare i had. the white wire at the plug must have went open.....no pulse.....TY, thanks for the help............
Old 05-13-2007, 09:14 PM
Team Tekin

No problem man, that's what I'm here for!

light em' up