Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Best Sealant for Permanent Outdoor Asphalt Track ? >

Best Sealant for Permanent Outdoor Asphalt Track ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Sealant for Permanent Outdoor Asphalt Track ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 07:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

We used just soda last year,grape soda to be exact,It was a nightmare,always crystalized,around dusk,....never again...
Old 05-10-2007, 07:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by smitty2802
It still has pollen on it so i was told...
-DC-
During practice Ky's car was covered with it, but we were too busy picking through his $1 sale and I hadn't cleaned the track yet. Rain came and we never got to test after blowing it down. But I've never noticed much of anything - pollen, tire foam or dust - left after using that big blower on a dry track. I plan to use the blower every W/E I am there unless it clearly doesn't need it.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
Well then we must be on the surface of the moon in Jackson NJ becasue soda crystallizes there at dusk almost every time we use soda.
Crystalizing as in it looks like fine sand all over the track?

We have used soda and the sugar water-soda mix for years with zero issues...and no one has humidity like we do...lol!
Old 05-10-2007, 07:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Cool

the track is located on top of a hill, somewhat protected by trees, but we still have some breezes to contend with, I have drag raced some, and used VHT, fine product although for our use somewhat expensive, I figure the Club will seek other 'avenues' for racing purposes, any and all input is appreciated, in other words anything that keeps me from spending DAYZ getting sunburned! LOL!!!

Speedy

ps sparks at nite are KWEEL!
Old 05-15-2007, 10:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
Dont seal it any more!

Putting sealer on asphalt will trap you in a vicsous cycle of having to reseal every year becuase the traction gets worse and worse.
Adrian, just wondering if you were thinking of something like this stuff

http://www.neyra.com/PaveShield_TriFold.pdf

Or something different without the rubber modifiers. Or if you think the effect is the same either way ?

The above product is what a large 1/8 scale track used and they seem to like it.

Mike
Old 05-15-2007, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I put my vote in for sugar water treatment. (Anything is better than having to breathe VHT fumes on a weekly basis). I'll add this tip that may save some tire wear and expense. On the second day, just respray the track with the same mister using just hot water. You will have medium traction without high tire wear. Good lap times. You can do this for about a week. Basicaly until the next rain washes off the sugar. The water will redisolve the existing sugar and bind up the surface dust that the blower will not remove. Binding up the dust is the key.

If you have messed up and have a crystallizing prolem, you can fix it with more hot water applied with the mister. It dries fast.

There are several conditiions that enhance formation of crystals. Cool damp weather that cause slow drying (can you say rock candy). A cloud of dust blown over the track while its drying can also cause crystals (nucleation sites) (damned off-road guys).

Now at some point the sun and weather are going to crack the asphalt. We are having problems with water seeping out of some cracks for a day or two after a rain. I don't see any alternative except to reseal to stop the water getting underneath.

If you are planning a reseal, you can remove asphalt bumps efficiently with a carbide wood cutting blade on a skill saw. I built a jig 3 feet long with two 1 foot wide feet on the ends. This straddles the bump. Cut grooves lengthwise to the track. The jig guides the saw. I lower the blade until it takes a 1/4 inch cut on the top of the hump, no cut near the end of the jig. You can cut as fast as you can move the saw. You can cut sideways with the saw by sliding the jig and saw when you get mostly done. Take care with your fingers by making the jig about 14 inches wide and putting a fence near the right side to guide the saw. Hold the jig on the left side or make a handle for it. This is infinitely faster than trying to grind bumps away with medium sized machinery. Then gater patch to smooth. If well setup cars are going airborne, this may help to remove bumps at low cost. Blades last quite a few bumps and are available for $5.00 each at Home Depot
John

Last edited by John Stranahan; 05-15-2007 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:28 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KyLayfield
Mike- Traction isn't really the problem on this track. It only has 1 or 2 races on it this season. If anything that needs to be fixed it's the surface. I ran 7mm of ride height last week. We have a rythmn section on the straightaway.
Originally Posted by swopemike
Although I agree, certainly the track can be a little smoother ... it would be interesting to have it smooth enough to run, say, mod 12th scales. Speedy put a great deal of effort into the Gator Patch last year and it's better... if not good enough, maybe you can volunteer to help this year ?
We used to race outdoors in what was a strip-mall parking lot. The first year it had some slight bumps, but the second year we had what we called the "Barber Bumps" - the fast nitro cars could actually get a little bit of air at the end of the straight if they kept it hammered down. It made getting into the first corner off the straight tricky!

The bumps were actually ruts in the parking lot surface from what were parking spaces during the week for the businesses in the strip mall. With the cars pulling in and over the same spot day in, day out - it created the "ruts"