Wiki Posts
Search

new chassis....best way to put on?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 07:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

new chassis....best way to put on?

to anyone familiar with the hpi nitro cars:

I got my new chassis for my hpi rs4 rtr3 nitro car and was wondering what the best way to put it on was? I was thinking of just fliiping it over, taking out the screws and then putting the new chassis on and replacing the screws. When i start unscrewing stuff, what do i need to be aware of that might fall out of place?
Old 04-10-2003, 08:19 PM
Tech Adept

do u have the manual? good - u need to be able to disassemble the ENTIRE car in ur sleep. i take my car completely apart after each race. after taking all the screws out the first few times u will become familiar with where each screw goes and it will become routine.

here's how to learn how to take ur car apart;
start by taking off the most accessible screws first - u can make a 'map' of the screw positions as u disassemble the car. make a simple drawing of the section of the car u r taking apart - draw an outline of say, the radio tray, on a 8x11 sheet - doesn't have to be perfect - just a basic outline - make sure u draw every hole/screw that u see in the radio tray - label each of these holes on the drawing to it's corresponding hole in the radio tray as to where it came from - top-left-front, etc. - write notes on the map as to how the sections come apart.

using any kind of tape - i used masking tape, comes up easier - take a short piece of tape and as u remove a screw - paste it down on ur 'map' in it's noted location.
when dissassembly is complete, you'll have a couple of sheets of paper of these maps for the various sections of the car - radio tray/servos, motor, front assembly, rear assembly, chassis, etc with all the screws taped down to ur map(s) for that section.

ALWAYS put any screws u can BACK INTO it's proper hole AFTER u have removed a section - like - if u remove one of the servos - reassemble the screws and parts that came out with that servo back into the holes from which they came. you'll have numerous SUB-SECTIONS of parts with all the screws/parts that came with that section ALL TOGETHER.

make notes as u disassemble to help ur remember where and how the sections go back together. reference ur manual as u reassemble. if done carefully - u will have no probs AND no 'extra' screws left over! - heheh

after a few times u will be able to take the car apart down to the bare chassis is just a few minutes (and put it back together).

don't worry - just be thorough and careful - it's really not that hard...
Old 04-10-2003, 08:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

i can remember first getting into computers and taking them apart. i was nervous taking them apart, now i can do those in my sleep. Like you said, its just a matter of getting used to it. Thanx for the help and i do have the manual. once i take it apart a couple times i know i'll be able to do it. if all else fails, my lhs is just a few block away...lol
Old 04-11-2003, 09:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

i put the new chassis on. everything looks good so far. i'm going to do a test run tomorrow morning to make sure nothing comes loose or is not screwed in right. but just by pushing it on the floor it runs very smooth.