Community
Wiki Posts
Search

driving techniques

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Here's something of intrest. If you want to find the absolute fastest line around a track for stock racing and if you have time to fudge around. Through in a mabuchi or johnson motor in your car. Of course you'll be hella slow but its kinda fun finding that exact line around the track. I remember a practice day when I was cruising around the track with a johnson and could keep up with the novice/intermediate drivers running 27T simply because I drove perfect lines and never made mistakes. They were always overcooking corners and hitting each other, not exactly what I call practicing to get better.
Old 04-11-2003, 10:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by university_dave
I can see where rtypec is coming from. A better way to do it is to watch the quick guys lines from up on the rostrum (if you can manage it). Then try it youself.
I have found that racing 27t stock really helps picking the lines and working on your corner speed. The first thing to do is to try and get the car set up so it understeers, only a bit, into corners. This means that if you overcook the entry and miss your braking point then the car is still controlable. Understeer is easy to catch just by using the throttle, so makes the car easier to drive. When you can hit the lines of the quick guys, then you can start to dial out the understeer gradually. You should then start to carry more and more corner speed and your lap times should start to come down. Once you are feeling confident that you are getting somewhere with a 27t then you can start to do the same thing with a hotter motor.

One final thing, never make any adjustments to your transmitter settings during this. 100% for everything, except end-points for the steering. This makes you sharpen your reactions and you can get a much better feel for what the chassis is doing. Even if you are up on the rostrum during a race, resist the temptation as you will gain a much better understanding of the chassis and you WILL go faster in the long run.
maybe 27 or sumthing T is a good way to start for me...rite now i hav an 11T stock on my car...hehe...maybe i should put my good old 16 on for the track? or maybe get a 23 or sumthing....hehe..or put on the brushless metal can (the one that came with TL's, TB01's...etc....hehe
Old 04-11-2003, 10:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by rtypec
Here's something of intrest. If you want to find the absolute fastest line around a track for stock racing and if you have time to fudge around. Through in a mabuchi or johnson motor in your car. Of course you'll be hella slow but its kinda fun finding that exact line around the track. I remember a practice day when I was cruising around the track with a johnson and could keep up with the novice/intermediate drivers running 27T simply because I drove perfect lines and never made mistakes. They were always overcooking corners and hitting each other, not exactly what I call practicing to get better.
im planning to do that
Old 04-11-2003, 10:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

rtypec,

I think that's a picture of you being lapped by Jun at Tamiya that day no? just kidding buddy, good run last Tuesday though and I agree with your suggestion on the mabuchi practice!

Steve Wang
Old 04-11-2003, 10:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Of course it is Steve, I think that was the 17th time he lapped me that day.
Old 04-11-2003, 10:56 AM
Tech Adept

Only problem is that the speed and power differential can easily lead to you getting cleaned out on the straights and fast corners, so make sure you only try this when there aren't all that many people on the track, and definitely no modified drivers!!!
Old 04-11-2003, 02:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Of course it is Steve, I think that was the 17th time he lapped me that day.

***DoH***

Don't feel bad..... just imagine getting lapped and pulled on by Hara ..at your own track and he's running the Sh!tty Batterys and motors'

Oh well
-Dave
Old 04-11-2003, 03:09 PM
Tech Addict

Default jussss remember

always race against yourself try to go faster than the last time you raced ..... no matter how fast you go there is always somebody faster no matter who you are ...........
and mommma sezzzzzz this is true ...

have fun race hard and try to improve from week to week it will come to you young jedi ...
Old 04-11-2003, 03:21 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Off track practice

Originally posted by davioh
is it a book?
No no no mate it's a computer simulator. You can change nearly every setting of the cars. I've got the original rear racer it's good but I've heard that Real racer 2 even is better.
Old 04-11-2003, 06:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

All i have to say is practice practice practice. But if you don't have time or can't, then pick up real race or something like it. If you have room in your basement or something you could get a micro rs4 or mini-z, too--- good practice, although its an expensive way to keep your skills tuned. The Team Orion "Dash for Cash" game is a great game that shows you what kind of lines are the fastest on the track, too.
Old 04-11-2003, 08:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

oh alrite thanks...i got a mini z....i switched from mini z's to 1/10 ep's...cuz it broke...hehehe
Old 09-05-2003, 05:51 AM
Vic
Tech Apprentice

Hi,

Can you Guys tell me where can I find this thread "Faster corner speed like pro"

Thanks
Old 09-05-2003, 10:31 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Vic
Hi,

Can you Guys tell me where can I find this thread "Faster corner speed like pro"

Thanks
Here it is: Faster Corner Speed like Pro